Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Few questions about living on campus.

ss
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonn123
1. How does Post/Mail work? Does your Mail come directly through your room's door or do you have to collect it from another building or the reception or something?

Planning on using Silk Road? :wink:

But seriously though, this is what I can tell you from visiting my cousin's halls. You have a pigeon hole in reception for mail basically. Utilities are included in hall charges. You'll have a kitchen that you'll share with ~5 other people that'll have a normal-sized fridge.
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonn123
Hey, so Derby is one of the Universities that I'm currently considering.

I've never lived away from home before and I have some really basic questions, some may seem stupid or obvious but I'll ask anyway!

1. How does Post/Mail work? Does your Mail come directly through your room's door or do you have to collect it from another building or the reception or something?

2. Are Utilities covered in the price that you pay for the room or do you have to pay these on top? If they are covered/included in the price, is there any kind of Fair Usage Policy on how much water/electric you use?

3. How does the Heating work? Do you have your own thermostat or is the building just regulated at a constant comfortable temperature?

4. Where do you store your own personal food and drink? Do you have a specific shelf in the fridge or anything or would you have to take your own small fridge with you?

Are you planning on going into University Halls or Private halls?
Reply 3
If you're talking about halls...

1. Each flat has a post box/ pigeon hole in reception. Any parcels are kept in reception and you just go and pick them up. You'll get a note when it arrives.

2. All bills are included. But if you want to have more than two devices connected to the internet, there's one small up front payment.

3. You turn the heating on yourself whenever you want it on, although I really needed it because my room was well insulated.

4. You'll work out with your flatmates who has each shelf in the fridge and cupboard (that's the normal routine anyway).

I don't mind answering any more questions if you have any :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest