The Student Room Group

Should I still accept the offer?

I'm speaking on behalf of my cousin since she doesn't have an account for TSR, however, she's been pretty stressed lately (although she should primarily focus on her A2's) on whether she should go to Edinburgh or Cambridge for languages.

She honestly thought it was a fluke. She's not the best in her school, however her linguistic skills are incredible and her fluency is pretty impressive so she must be up against pretty genius people if she's not even considered as a top performing student. Although the school did give her some sort of support, they openly implied that she was unlikely to get an offer, not sure why so they were pretty surprised when they found out that she had an offer for the MML course (french and spanish). She is really overwhelmed but often feels that the prestige and the workload will only put her self-esteem down and although the course at edinburgh will not be as vigourous, she still believes that she would work hard anyway, wherever she goes. She goes to a decent independent school, that is fairly academic so her gcses (6A*s 5A's 1B) were definitely 'average' but 'below average' according to cambridge standards.
She honestly feels that she doesn't deserve to go to cambridge yet would feel guilty for turning down the offer. Any advice? And sorry for the long essay.
(edited 9 years ago)
She should go for it!
Reply 2
:ditto: Plus Cambridge says 'an applicant is only interviewed if he/she has a likely possibility of getting in' (read it somewhere on their website)

And the tutors are way too experienced it Cambridge, they certainly wouldn't have made an offer if they hadn't believed that she was cut out for life at Cambridge. People with as you say 'average grades' do get it. She might have some difficulty with the workload but then everyone at Oxbridge has trouble with that.

Tell her to accept the offer. It'll change her life around. If she survives, she'll be wayyyy more confident in life.
(edited 3 years ago)
My step sister chose Cambridge over Manchester because she felt pressure off her family to pick the more 'prestigious' university. However, she somewhat regrets it now because the sheer workload cost her a better grade (she got a 2:2 when she was definitely clever enough to achieve a 1st at another university) and she had hardly any time for a social life. Now everyones situation/outlook is different but your cousin should forget about the fact the Cambridge is one of the top universities and focus on other aspects such as course content, location (which city does she prefer/would feel more comfortable in?) etc. Edinburgh is still a great university. She should also check out the Unistats website to compare the courses :smile:
Thanks for the advice! I'll let her know!! I'm currently doing AS' so this will be me next year.... also applying for languages!
Original post by vineyard13
My step sister chose Cambridge over Manchester because she felt pressure off her family to pick the more 'prestigious' university. However, she somewhat regrets it now because the sheer workload cost her a better grade (she got a 2:2 when she was definitely clever enough to achieve a 1st at another university) and she had hardly any time for a social life. Now everyones situation/outlook is different but your cousin should forget about the fact the Cambridge is one of the top universities and focus on other aspects such as course content, location (which city does she prefer/would feel more comfortable in?) etc. Edinburgh is still a great university. She should also check out the Unistats website to compare the courses :smile:

And this is one of the aspects she's most concerned about.... just because she has an offer at a prestigious uni, that is not to say that she will excel there! Although I can't really advise her... since i'm younger than her but does your step sister feel that she would have been happier else where then?
Hello, I wish you happiness and well-being.

Your Cousin must think about this carefully, Cambridge is a different ballgame, its degrees are respected because being one of the top universities in the world, the workload is higher than anything he/she will ever witness in his/her life. Some people blindly accept Cambridge hoping for a free ride into a rich life and end up in a pool of depression because they can't think straight anymore from the work needed from them.

You don't need to go to Cambridge to have a good life, I would much rather prefer a university where I am HAPPY in, it is of course going to be your home for a few years!
Original post by BuddingAchiever
And this is one of the aspects she's most concerned about.... just because she has an offer at a prestigious uni, that is not to say that she will excel there! Although I can't really advise her... since i'm younger than her but does your step sister feel that she would have been happier else where then?

I can't really say she would've been happier elsewhere but she's definitely said she would've preferred to have gone to Manchester simply to have more of a life at University rather than it solely revolving around education. I think she's also disappointed with her degree grade even though it is from Cambridge. She has a good job now though. but I'm not sure how employers view degrees from different universities with different grades.
Original post by vineyard13
I can't really say she would've been happier elsewhere but she's definitely said she would've preferred to have gone to Manchester simply to have more of a life at University rather than it solely revolving around education. I think she's also disappointed with her degree grade even though it is from Cambridge. She has a good job now though. but I'm not sure how employers view degrees from different universities with different grades.

Oh fair enough. So a 2.2 from cambridge..... is not so bad then ?

it depends if the employer values university over grade. Or if a 2:2 from cambridge equals a 1st from another uni? I'm not sure about that, sorry.
It is common to feel fear of not being good enough. But Cambridge only admits people in whom the university has confidence they can succeed.

Your cousin would probably be fine at Cam, if she wants a great challenge and opportunity for achievement. But it is her business to decide and she knows what she wants in her heart. I would suggest she talk in person to people at Cam, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

My daughter is at Cam and absolutely loves it, but it is very challenging.
(edited 9 years ago)

She's doing MML, and it seems 97% of MML students get a 2.1 or above (if a current student has more accurate stats, please correct me).

Based on that statistic, though it's a valid question to ask for some of the science subjects, it's not something she should really worry about for MML :wink:.
I'm speaking on behalf of my cousin since she doesn't have an account for TSR, however, she's been pretty stressed lately (although she should primarily focus on her A2's) on whether she should go to Edinburgh or Cambridge for languages.

She honestly thought it was a fluke. She's not the best in her school, however her linguistic skills are incredible and her fluency is pretty impressive so she must be up against pretty genius people if she's not even considered as a top performing student. Although the school did give her some sort of support, they openly implied that she was unlikely to get an offer, not sure why so they were pretty surprised when they found out that she had an offer for the MML course (french and spanish). She is really overwhelmed but often feels that the prestige and the workload will only put her self-esteem down and although the course at edinburgh will not be as vigourous, she still believes that she would work hard anyway, wherever she goes. She goes to a decent independent school, that is fairly academic so her gcses (6A*s 5A's 1B) were definitely 'average' but 'below average' according to cambridge standards.
She honestly feels that she doesn't deserve to go to cambridge yet would feel guilty for turning down the offer. Any advice? And sorry for the long essay.

If admissions tutors think she's good enough, then she's good enough. It's their job and they've done it for many years. They can tell from the interview whether you'll be successful in the course or not (at least for the most part).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending