The Student Room Group

Universities and gcses

Hey everyone
I have 2 questions. Firstly, how much emphasis do universities place on gcses, especially the top ones? Secondly, if they do, what sort of level is A*A*AAAABBB (what I got)? I should get 4As at as level but I can't help but think my gcses will pull me down. :s-smilie:
If it helps, I want to do theology as a course.
Thanks
If by 'top ones' you mean Oxbridge, then Yes, GCSEs matter. For most others they are only interested in your English, Maths and sometimes Science GCSE grades being C or above.

Or are you just showing off?
Reply 2
Top as in Oxbridge care a small amount, but if you have a good personal statement and a good set of AS levels then your chances of getting in are pretty much the same as other people who also get 4 As (still very small).

Other good unis want you to have a B in maths and Eng lang and that's it really, and by good I mean UCL, Durham, King's, Warwick...etc, i.e. the top Russell group
Oxford are known to value an excellent performance at GCSE; Cambridge place more emphasis on high UMS at AS/A-level. You might be best off with Cambridge out of those two.
Do your GCSEs include English language, maths and a MFL? In that case, you should be fine for most universities for a humanities subject like theology. The very top ones, e.g. Oxbridge and Imperial etc sometimes use GCSEs to decide between lots of very good applicants with excellent A-levels and personal statements. Obviously, if someone has better GCSEs than you, in this scenario they are likely to be the prefered applicant.

However your GCSEs really are very good and you shouldn't worry about them holding you back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending