The Student Room Group

When was the last time you went to the cinema?

Scroll to see replies

I went about 2 weeks ago to see the new X-men film. I generally go about once a month... I have too many points on my odeon club card now, i think I can get 3 free cinema tickets :biggrin:
Reply 81
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Heheheh

Erm.. I'm slightly confused :confused: Is it about the Year 10 thread?

Lmao no not at all. Your profile pic reminded me of the series.. Sorry!
X-men like...well I'm not sure but fairly recently? And a Wednesday, of course :colone: Will also be going soon to watch TFIOS.
Reply 83
Original post by katbob
Because of parents too? :hugs:
Just get someone older to take you, and if it is your parents why don't they let you go?

My mum's never been to the cinema before.. She wasn't brought up in the UK. I guess that's why :dontknow:

It's also quite pricey.. I guess?
last week to see maleficent, it was awesome! Totally unexpected!
Reply 85
Original post by Cherx
My mum's never been to the cinema before.. She wasn't brought up in the UK. I guess that's why :dontknow:

It's also quite pricey.. I guess?

Hmm erm.. Take her!
Just a stab in the dark but does she think that all boyfriends and girlfriends go there kinda thing?

Its about £10 for an adult. But that's in 3D.
I think the last time I went was to watch the second Thor film, can't remember how long ago it was. Hopefully going to go watch 22 Jump Street in the coming weeks when exams are done!
Reply 87
Original post by katbob
Hmm erm.. Take her!
Just a stab in the dark but does she think that all boyfriends and girlfriends go there kinda thing?

Its about £10 for an adult. But that's in 3D.

My mum's not one for English movies :frown:

Plus, I have Sky with movies - so she doesn't see the point in me going as we pay loads for our TV subscription.

Wow, I thought it was a lot more costly.
Last week friday, I went to watch 22 Jump Street. Absolutely HILARIOUS!!! Go and watch it
Original post by muf_mur
Which was the first film you guys watched in cinema?
Mine was Harry Potter and the order of phoenix...cinemas were a big deal for me then

I don't remember which one it was but it was either Jack Frost, Pokemon the First Movie or Rugrats in Paris.
About a week agos :smile:
I went on Monday to see Days of Future Past, amazing movie.
Original post by MsFahima
I've never been.. :nah:

...How is that possible?!?!?! No offence but do you not have any friends or something?? :s-smilie:
Original post by strawberrysnow
...How is that possible?!?!?! No offence but do you not have any friends or something?? :s-smilie:

Haha!! Does not going to the cinema = No friends? :tongue:

I have many friends.. cinema is just somewhere I haven't been. :biggrin: I go bowling, laser quest.. days out.. Other things basically!
I went cinema about 2or3months ago to watch Divergent the second week it came out

Posted from TSR Mobile
July 2012 to watch Think like a man

Posted from TSR Mobile
about 2 weeks ago to see the new X men
Original post by DeclanCochran
Aha lucky you! We never get Hindi films anywhere near here (down in Devon), I'd love to see one on the big screen

Sorry to hear that. It's a shame that there's not much interest in Hindi films in the South-West so I don't blame you for being disappointed. :s-smilie: You should try and visit London whenever you get a chance, you can't escape Bollywood there! Also I think there are some cinemas in Bristol and Cardiff that show Hindi films pretty regularly. :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from (originally) and what made you interested in Bollywood? :smile:

Original post by katbob
Do you actually pay to watch Hindi films? :facepalm:

Went to watch dhoom 3 as my first ever Hindi film. I'm glad I've avoided them before and since.

Yes I do pay to see them and I have done for the last 10 years or so. When I have the time (i.e. no interference from uni or exams) then I can end up watching one every week or 10 days, other times it can be every few months. I went to see Holiday today (as I mentioned previously that I would) as I haven't seen a Hindi film in the cinemas since February.

To be honest I'm not surprised you didn't enjoy Dhoom 3 if it was your first Bollywood film - you need to let go and believe that absolutely anything can happen on screen if you're going to properly enjoy a Hindi film. Plus if you're not familiar with the first 2 installments of the Dhoom franchise then you might not have known what to expect. Most people don't enjoy Hindi films because they're more extravagant and sometimes less realistic than Hollywood, particularly with stunts and comedy. If you only enjoy Hollywood films and stick too rigidly to their formula without experimenting a little bit with films you watch then you can't properly enjoy Bollywood. Most of them require you to leave your brain at home and focus on entertainment, as Dhoom 3 aimed to do. I thoroughly loved it but some of my friends disagreed and thought it was a mess, so you're not alone in thinking it wasn't a good film. If I were you, I would start with some of Shah Rukh Khan's romantic films from the 1990's to get a proper idea of why Bollywood has such a huge international following. Don't write it off just because you didn't enjoy one film - as I say to everyone, Bollywood has something to appeal to all tastes. :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by asif007
Sorry to hear that. It's a shame that there's not much interest in Hindi films in the South-West so I don't blame you for being disappointed. :s-smilie: You should try and visit London whenever you get a chance, you can't escape Bollywood there! Also I think there are some cinemas in Bristol and Cardiff that show Hindi films pretty regularly. :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from (originally) and what made you interested in Bollywood? :smile:

Yes I do pay to see them and I have done for the last 10 years or so. When I have the time (i.e. no interference from uni or exams) then I can end up watching one every week or 10 days, other times it can be every few months. I went to see Holiday today (as I mentioned previously that I would) as I haven't seen a Hindi film in the cinemas since February.

To be honest I'm not surprised you didn't enjoy Dhoom 3 if it was your first Bollywood film - you need to let go and believe that absolutely anything can happen on screen if you're going to properly enjoy a Hindi film. Plus if you're not familiar with the first 2 installments of the Dhoom franchise then you might not have known what to expect. Most people don't enjoy Hindi films because they're more extravagant and sometimes less realistic than Hollywood, particularly with stunts and comedy. If you only enjoy Hollywood films and stick too rigidly to their formula without experimenting a little bit with films you watch then you can't properly enjoy Bollywood. Most of them require you to leave your brain at home and focus on entertainment, as Dhoom 3 aimed to do. I thoroughly loved it but some of my friends disagreed and thought it was a mess, so you're not alone in thinking it wasn't a good film. If I were you, I would start with some of Shah Rukh Khan's romantic films from the 1990's to get a proper idea of why Bollywood has such a huge international following. Don't write it off just because you didn't enjoy one film - as I say to everyone, Bollywood has something to appeal to all tastes. :smile:

How was holiday?
Lol I mean it was my first film that I've watched in the cinema ever and first one after like 3 years.
Don't get me wrong I've seen the classics like Mard, Khabi kushi khabi gam, om shanti om etc, i liked them but I think they're all repetitive with the girl getting the boy or usually vice versa and I don't see how people can keep watching the same mindnumbing crap over again. I mean even with Dhoom 3 it had an unusual twist but Hollywood have already done the double act like 10 times and dhoom was probably the worst version.
I do like them occasionally but like I said its the same stories, same humour :facepalm: even the horror genre is more comedy than scary. And you're right that you have to leave your brain at home cause that goes to show what kind of people watch it..
Oh yeah and then there's the songs! I mean like they're catchy and all but wtf is this like musicals or something? And there were far too many songs in dhoom 3.
Although actually I quite liked Pa, the one with amitah and abishek bachan ( or however its spelt lol) that was very different.
Sorry about the rant :colondollar:
Reply 99
In 2012. I pretty much only go to the cinema to watch The Expendables movies. Aside from Expendables and Bad Boys, nothing else is worth watching on the big screen.

Quick Reply

Latest