The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Astronomy exam - 4th June PM

Other threads had wrong date in title. Surely I'm not the only one on TSR doing this!?!?

HOW ARE YOU ALL FEELING ABOUT IT!?

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys - might be a bit late on the scene but if anyone needs any tips feel free to ask me; did the exam last year and got a letter from exam board :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by zintanax
Hey guys - might be a bit late on the scene but if anyone needs any tips feel free to ask me; did the exam last year and got a letter from exam board :smile:

What was the letter? :redface:
Reply 3

How did you do?

And yeah I'm nervous still in year ten so :s-smilie: and really want an a star but it depends on the exam really.
Original post by Parallex
What was the letter? :redface:

Um...top mark in the country... haha
Original post by ravioli98
How did you do?

And yeah I'm nervous still in year ten so :s-smilie: and really want an a star but it depends on the exam really.

Haha I got the top mark in the country erm.. :L
You'll find you finish the exam with an hour or half an hour to spare! So plenty of time for checking! I did it in year 10 too :smile: Dont be nervous - the questions are asked in a straightforward manner but whatever you do make sure you do go over your sketches in pen and even shade in pen too!
The grade boundaries are nice as well and there are plenty of 1 markers and 2 markers at the start of the paper to get you going! :smile:
Reply 6
Um...top mark in the country... haha

Wow, man! Congratulations! That's an amazing feat, considering the paper is among the hardest at GCSE level (if not the hardest)!

Did you ever find out what mark you got out of 120?
Wow, man! Congratulations! That's an amazing feat, considering the paper is among the hardest at GCSE level (if not the hardest)!

Did you ever find out what mark you got out of 120?

Hah thanks - I get a bit embarassed though haha!
Yeah well clearly Mr Gove doesnt think that way as he says its "soft" which i totally disagree with as there is a lot of physics a level in there too so kudos to you guys for taking it! :smile:
Um no I didn't, I only found out my UMS marks! :L Still, I'm not too fussed!
Reply 8
Hah thanks - I get a bit embarassed though haha!
Yeah well clearly Mr Gove doesnt think that way as he says its "soft" which i totally disagree with as there is a lot of physics a level in there too so kudos to you guys for taking it! :smile:

Wow I just had to read the article of that claim... Ridiculous. His 'vision' is also ridiculous and he is a very stupid, ignorant man.

Edit: How can you even compare astronomy to catering? FFS.
Reply 9
People doing it tomorrow what are you going to do tonight and how long are you going to spend today because sleep is important too right? Also any ideas what the diagram question will be because there's usually one or two where you explain with a diagram.

Haha I got the top mark in the country erm.. :L
You'll find you finish the exam with an hour or half an hour to spare! So plenty of time for checking! I did it in year 10 too :smile: Dont be nervous - the questions are asked in a straightforward manner but whatever you do make sure you do go over your sketches in pen and even shade in pen too!
The grade boundaries are nice as well and there are plenty of 1 markers and 2 markers at the start of the paper to get you going! :smile:

Well done that's really good! :biggrin: And thanks
Reply 10
People doing it tomorrow what are you going to do tonight and how long are you going to spend today because sleep is important too right? Also any ideas what the diagram question will be because there's usually one or two where you explain with a diagram.

Well done that's really good! :biggrin: And thanks

I'm just blasting through my 'weak' areas throughout the textbook, or the areas that I've missed out accidentally and seen on the past papers. I can't really think what the diagram will be, maybe long-exposure photographs of stars in order to deduce the rotation of the Earth, or a diagram finding out our distance from a star. No idea on how to guess what'll come up, there seems to be no pattern!
I'm just blasting through my 'weak' areas throughout the textbook, or the areas that I've missed out accidentally and seen on the past papers. I can't really think what the diagram will be, maybe long-exposure photographs of stars in order to deduce the rotation of the Earth, or a diagram finding out our distance from a star. No idea on how to guess what'll come up, there seems to be no pattern!

Good point haha. Yeah I'm reading through the textbook and focussing on weak points ... How long are you going to stay up till do you think and are you doing anything tomorrow morning?
Reply 12
Good point haha. Yeah I'm reading through the textbook and focussing on weak points ... How long are you going to stay up till do you think and are you doing anything tomorrow morning?

I stay up late everyday anyway, usually like 1 AM or so. I just power-napped for like 2 hours anyway, exams are tiring!

In the morning I have my RE paper 2... so no revision for astronomy then! :P
Parallex! I have just understood your name!! Haha took me along time to realise that its actually astronomy! Hahaha
Reply 14
Original post by LSEMaybe?
Parallex! I have just understood your name!! Haha took me along time to realise that its actually astronomy! Hahaha

It's mis-spelt due to somebody already taking parallax! :frown:
It's mis-spelt due to somebody already taking parallax! :frown:

Haha still a cool name though! Good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 16
Original post by LSEMaybe?
Haha still a cool name though! Good luck for tomorrow!

Thanks, you too if you're taking it! :P
Reply 17

I don't know how bothered you are about it, but there's an Edexcel thing that lets you convert UMS to raw mark: http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/results/pages/convert-your-marks.aspx
Reply 18
Good luck to all taking the exam. Finally finished revision. :biggrin:
Good luck to anyone doing the exam today! I am in Year 9 and I am doing it and I hope everyone does well.

Quick Reply

Latest