The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel English Lit exam - 6th June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by puella_optima
ah, I'm doing those three texts too. Really worried about it, the best essay I've done is 51/60 :/ :/

Why are you worried? 51/60 is a good mark. 90% (what is generally considered to be A* marks) is 54/60. You shouldn't worry yourself at all.
Original post by puella_optima
ah, I'm doing those three texts too. Really worried about it, the best essay I've done is 51/60 :/ :/

There is nothing to worry about. I have attached two documents which has loads of information on them :smile:. What are you most worried about?

I have a few contextual quotes for the poetry as well:
Jean Moorcroft Wilson on Isaac Rosenberg " Isaac Rosenberg was one of the finest and most distinctive poets of the First World War."
Robert Graves describes Charles Hamilton Sorley as "One of the three poets of importance killed during the First World War. The others being Rosenberg and Owen."
Sassoon has said that the reason behind his anti-war feelings was due to the death of his best friend David Cuthbert Thomas.

Also don't forget that before the First World War, people were used to romantic poems and the topic of romance so the effects of war and the horrors were made worse because nothing like this had really been seen before. It was made worse by the fact that this was happening to the children of those reading the poems, who had children fighting. This was the first step of de-humanising the reader. Now as a modern reader we have grown used to these horrors, but at the same time the topic and war in Kite Runner is made worse because of how relevant it is.

Hope this kind of helps. If you need more help I will try :smile:. Best of luck
Reply 22
I'm doing captain corelli's, tess, the great gatsby, rapture and metaphysicals. Too worried :frown: Help pleasee
Original post by alexlipscombe
There is nothing to worry about. I have attached two documents which has loads of information on them :smile:. What are you most worried about?

I have a few contextual quotes for the poetry as well:
Jean Moorcroft Wilson on Isaac Rosenberg " Isaac Rosenberg was one of the finest and most distinctive poets of the First World War."
Robert Graves describes Charles Hamilton Sorley as "One of the three poets of importance killed during the First World War. The others being Rosenberg and Owen."
Sassoon has said that the reason behind his anti-war feelings was due to the death of his best friend David Cuthbert Thomas.

Also don't forget that before the First World War, people were used to romantic poems and the topic of romance so the effects of war and the horrors were made worse because nothing like this had really been seen before. It was made worse by the fact that this was happening to the children of those reading the poems, who had children fighting. This was the first step of de-humanising the reader. Now as a modern reader we have grown used to these horrors, but at the same time the topic and war in Kite Runner is made worse because of how relevant it is.

Hope this kind of helps. If you need more help I will try :smile:. Best of luck

Thank you, but I'm doing the topic on relationships!! I've got critical quotes for A03 too. Its A02 and A04 which have been holding me back
Reply 24
Help in past and modern interpretations, please
Worried for the unseen poetry :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by alexlipscombe
I too am doing Spies, Kite Runner and 101 Poem Against War. I have loads of quotes and analysis on all three texts as well as context for them which I know is an important part of the exam. If someone is doing the same texts and needs some help I can give it to you. With the unseen section of the exam I also have some tips that might help if people would like these too :smile:

Tips for the unseen section please? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by MJasper
Pick passages in the texts that show conflict and talk about how they're interesting. Or find bits that don't show conflict and show that they can still be interesting (like Tess + Angel at the end of the novel, their relationship isn't in conflict because they're together). Find some critical quotations of people saying that the conflict makes it interesting, or that the conflicts are too simple and plainly cut so they're not interesting :P

I think that I'm okay at the unseen although I'm really bad at writing quickly. Read it several times, identify the subject matter and themes. Go line-by-line, not having to include everything if you run out of time but definitely look at the ending. With every technique talk about how it represents the meaning of the passage or ties into those themes, and the effect that the technique has on the reader.

Talk about the following: narrative voice (+perspective), imagery, overall form/structure, sentence structure (+punctuation), sounds (+rhyme), rhythm/metre, tense, word choice and placement (juxtaposition/contrast/antithesis), maybe character and setting.

Thank you for this! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing The Ghost Road, The Kite Runner and 101 poems against war - so nervous!
Reply 29
Going to sleep now, good luck everyone! I'm sure that reminding myself how little revision I've done will put me in a bad mindset, so I'm hoping for the best :P
So, how did it go for everyone? I generally liked it, they could have been harsher, although I feel I may not have focused on devices enough or selected the right evidence in places.
Absolutely killed it (the exam).
I did exactly these three! How did you find it?! I personally found the timing too restricting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending