The Student Room Group

What are all the possible applied units for edexcel maths and further maths?

The sixth form I'm going to next year says that the applied modules I will be doing are:
Statistics 1 and Mechanics one with maths in year 12 and 13
Decision 1 and Statistics 2 with further maths in year 12

Plus 2 others of my choice for further maths in year 13.

What are my choices?

Thanks
M2, D2, S3 is all you can choose from. I don't know if they'll allow you to take M3 without M2, so yeah
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
M2, D2, S3 is all you can choose from. I don't know if they'll allow you to take M3 without M2, so yeah

So I could take M2 and M3 or D2 and D3 if I wanted to? Or do they have to be different?
Original post by easyastau
So I could take M2 and M3 or D2 and D3 if I wanted to? Or do they have to be different?

Last time I checked there was no "D3". I believe the possible combinations for you are

M2 and M3 (as you said, since they might allow you to do M3 if you also do M2)
M2 and D2
D2 and S3
M2 and S3

...maybe even S3 and S4 unless you're not really keen on statistics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Last time I checked there was no "D3". I believe the possible combinations for you are

M2 and M3 (as you said, since they might allow you to do M3 if you also do M2)
M2 and D2
D2 and S3
M2 and S3

...maybe even S3 and S4 unless you're not really keen on statistics.

Okay, thank you. :smile:

Do you do any of these modules?
Check the Edexcel web site for chapter and verse on this type of question.
Okay, thank you. :smile:

Do you do any of these modules?

Yep, I did M2, S2 and S3. If you need any help on the modules you can pm me. :smile:
Reply 7
Yep, I did M2, S2 and S3. If you need any help on the modules you can pm me. :smile:

Okay thank you :smile: Did you do any Decision modules?
Okay thank you :smile: Did you do any Decision modules?

Well I didn't actually do D1 but I have seen the material for it because I applied for computer science (and maths) at uni :smile:
Reply 9
Well I didn't actually do D1 but I have seen the material for it because I applied for computer science (and maths) at uni :smile:

Okay, thanks for the help :smile:
Hi!
I'm in my first year of A Levels.
I've done M1 in Maths and D1 and D2 in F.Maths.
(Next year, I'll be doing S1 in Maths and M2 and S2 in F.Maths.)

Like people have said, look at the edexcel website for the past papers. But I didn't find the modules too difficult, there was alot of content but the past paper repeats the same style of question so really you can disregard half the little bits you learn. :wink:
I'm the only girl in my F.Maths class, the boys preferred the applied modules (D1/D2) compare to FP1 - the other way around for me but then that might be because they really enjoy Physics....
Anyway, I'd advise you to complete D1 as quickly as possible because D2 is more chunky but it really does renforce the stuff you learnt in D1. The whole module is loosly based on project managing - so it could be really useful even if you don't want to go directly down the Maths line of work.
.....There was one chapter we all enjoyed: Game Theory. Our teacher taught us to card count and the odds of winning if certain cards came up and then put our knowledge to the test by playing Blackjack :wink:

Hope that helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest