The Student Room Group

AS students- which AS subject will/might you drop this year and why?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure what I'll drop, if anything. I want to apply for physics and the exams I'm taking this year are Maths A2, Computing AS and Physics AS. I'm doing Further Maths next year. Computing should be an easy A* really, except I'm not great at coursework - what's the workload like? If I drop anything, Computing is what it will be. Is doing 4 A2s too much? Especially considering Further Maths is fast-tracked. I don't know :frown:
Original post by Darkwarrior23
like 1/3 of my year group took bio because it was considered the easy science... boy do they regret it now... I think like 60% of them will drop it for A2 only med/dent applicants keeping it. And what 3 different sections? We just did a simple acid-base titration in which we had to find the concentration of the solution then our whole paper was based on amounts of substance and balancing horrific equations. Our other ISA was longer and based on group 7 reactions and then our paper was much easier.

For biology our isa's were testing starch,reducing sugars and non-reducing sugars and then the other one was on rate of osmosis. Then we had tons of how science works questions so I don't understand why Bio2 was full off the stuff.

I kinda of still think of it as the easiest science, just because I think physics takes more understanding, and chemistry is evil :tongue: I get kind of defensive about the sciences though, like loads of people take biology and I just wonder whyy, you're not all sciencey?! If they think it's easy that may explain it XD.

I think at my school only 20% of people drop biology. : I Loads of people do it despite not wanting to do medicine/dentistry/etc.

Edexcel we had to do 3 different papers, worth between 12-14 marks, it is SOO much easier than biology EMPAs but the subject overall is horrible. We did a 14 mark paper on a titration, a 12 mark paper on a hidden substance, we had to do tests to it in order to figure out what it was, and another 12 mark paper on some other practical, making a double salt.

My biology was probably the same as yours, I found it absolutely horrific, well the 3rd paper was horrific D: I probably did terribly on it.
Original post by Okkefac
I kinda of still think of it as the easiest science, just because I think physics takes more understanding, and chemistry is evil :tongue: I get kind of defensive about the sciences though, like loads of people take biology and I just wonder whyy, you're not all sciencey?! If they think it's easy that may explain it XD.

I think at my school only 20% of people drop biology. : I Loads of people do it despite not wanting to do medicine/dentistry/etc.

Edexcel we had to do 3 different papers, worth between 12-14 marks, it is SOO much easier than biology EMPAs but the subject overall is horrible. We did a 14 mark paper on a titration, a 12 mark paper on a hidden substance, we had to do tests to it in order to figure out what it was, and another 12 mark paper on some other practical, making a double salt.

My biology was probably the same as yours, I found it absolutely horrific, well the 3rd paper was horrific D: I probably did terribly on it.

Your teacher seems like a prick for not giving you your results... my teacher gave us ours like 3 weeks later so we could mentally prepare ourselves for results day and work our butts off for exam season... highest score in class was 42 for first one and 46 for second one lol
Haha I'm sold, see you next year then :tongue:

Sounds good! :biggrin: I'll let you know if I get in :tongue:
Your teacher seems like a prick for not giving you your results... my teacher gave us ours like 3 weeks later so we could mentally prepare ourselves for results day and work our butts off for exam season... highest score in class was 42 for first one and 46 for second one lol

Nobody in the whole year is allowed the results, and as I said no resits allowed, which is just ridiculous. So many schools apparently let their students do really well in their coursework science elements, by giving them loads of help (not necessarily cheating, although I know some do), it sucks that I'm in one of the few schools that does nothing D:
Reply 145
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History.

It's a toss-up between Chemistry and History at the moment, swinging towards dropping History because I hate having to write essays.
Physics is going, definitely. That means next year I'll take Biology, Maths and Media, and all going well with timetables I'll be able to take Further Maths at AS alongside it.

I want to do biology/film combined at uni, so I need biology and media for it. Then, I'm left with either maths or physics, and I need maths for physics, hence physics is going. It's also my worst subject, I'm looking at a low c/high d for it (whereas I'm at top B for my other three)
Original post by Okkefac
Nobody in the whole year is allowed the results, and as I said no resits allowed, which is just ridiculous. So many schools apparently let their students do really well in their coursework science elements, by giving them loads of help (not necessarily cheating, although I know some do), it sucks that I'm in one of the few schools that does nothing D:

My biology teacher was harsh on the marking because he got accused of being too "generous" with his class last year so that was a bit upsetting knowing if I was born a year earlier...:frown:
Original post by emily288
Sounds good! :biggrin: I'll let you know if I get in :tongue:

I'm sure you will! What are yourr stats like? :biggrin:
My biology teacher was harsh on the marking because he got accused of being too "generous" with his class last year so that was a bit upsetting knowing if I was born a year earlier...:frown:

Surely it'll all be moderated though, so your results could go up if he marked too harshly :smile:
Original post by Okkefac
Surely it'll all be moderated though, so your results could go up if he marked too harshly :smile:

They send the highest mark paper,lowest mark paper and one from the middle to the exam board
They send the highest mark paper,lowest mark paper and one from the middle to the exam board

But surely if they're too harshly/nicely marked, everyone's results are altered, that's what happened at my old school. You still have a chance :smile:
I don't understand the mentality of thinking about which subject you are going to drop. First of all, I don't believe that you should take a subject that you plan on dropping an, if you go into a subject planning to drop, you are unlikely to do as well in that subject anyway.
It's just stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 153
Original post by Trouty97
I don't understand the mentality of thinking about which subject you are going to drop. First of all, I don't believe that you should take a subject that you plan on dropping an, if you go into a subject planning to drop, you are unlikely to do as well in that subject anyway.
It's just stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's complete bs.
I took geography at AS openly expressing how I was going to drop it for A2 to get 100% ums in each AS paper.
I still dropped it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 9967
That's complete bs.
I took geography at AS openly expressing how I was going to drop it for A2 to get 100% ums in each AS paper.
I still dropped it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well then you, my friend, seem pretty stoopid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 155
Original post by Trouty97
Well then you, my friend, seem pretty stoopid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so complementary, thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
not sure...maybe economics but I'm considering continuing all 4. This year hasn't really been much of a struggle tbh :rofl:
Lack of revision or luck?

If I am honest with myself, it was only due to lack of revision. I guess I will find out how much I really actually did in August.
Reply 158
Original post by donutellme
Schools offer it at AS?! :lolwut:

Yep, well certainly in my area anyway:colone:
If I were to drop a subject, it would be economics. Only due to the fact that I'm lazy though. tbh it's not really that much harder than my other subjects (German, Japanese and Politics) but i cba for more work xD:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest