The Student Room Group

Not a natural conversationalist.

I have a bit of a problem with speaking to other people. I'm not really comfortable with speaking to people in real life and it can show badly, I struggle to think of anything to say. I can have a conversation sometimes that goes very well, but other times I judge the recipients reactions and they generally seem apprehensive about talking to me, or they have a slight smirk in their tone of voice or seem as if they don't want to talk to me/judging me in a negative light and in this situation I just switch off and stop bothering with the conversation.

Main thing would be making a new friend e.g. and breaking the barrier of person you see around and then becoming closer to people. I tend to struggle with that.

It's a weird situation because it's not as if I don't have any friends, just that I don't have anybody close, or it feels like this way. I have a feeling it's down to trust issues, when I talk about my secrets to people, I talk about specific secrets but I don't tell my deepest darkest secrets. I have always been like this btw. Also to sort of give you an insight on how I am a little. My personality type is best described as an INTJ/ISTJ.

Any ideas...

Tl;dr have friends, struggle to make new friends and don't really trust other people, sense that people judge me in a negative light from the way they look at me sometimes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know exactly what this feels like because I experience the exact same thing..

It feels really unnatural to be the one to initiate a conversation and then carry on with it seamlessly doesn't it? You see someone and you think "hey that person looks nice" and you want to talk to them but you just can't find it in yourself to strike a conversation or if that person talks to you first you get really nervous and insecure about what you say because you don't want to look like an idiot. I have friends but none that I'm close to because of this very problem. It's always a hit or miss for me.

I don't really know how to go about this either :/ people make it look so easy but it just feels so unnatural!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This may sound a bit inappropriate
Original post by Lilyghz
I know exactly what this feels like because I experience the exact same thing..

It feels really unnatural to be the one to initiate a conversation and then carry on with it seamlessly doesn't it? You see someone and you think "hey that person looks nice" and you want to talk to them but you just can't find it in yourself to strike a conversation or if that person talks to you first you get really nervous and insecure about what you say because you don't want to look like an idiot. I have friends but none that I'm close to because of this very problem. It's always a hit or miss for me.

I don't really know how to go about this either :/ people make it look so easy but it just feels so unnatural!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by jam278
I have a bit of a problem with speaking to other people. I'm not really comfortable with speaking to people in real life and it can show badly, I struggle to think of anything to say. I can have a conversation sometimes that goes very well, but other times I judge the recipients reactions and they generally seem apprehensive about talking to me, or they have a slight smirk in their tone of voice or seem as if they don't want to talk to me/judging me in a negative light and in this situation I just switch off and stop bothering with the conversation.

Main thing would be making a new friend e.g. and breaking the barrier of person you see around and then becoming closer to people. I tend to struggle with that.

It's a weird situation because it's not as if I don't have any friends, just that I don't have anybody close, or it feels like this way. I have a feeling it's down to trust issues, when I talk about my secrets to people, I talk about specific secrets but I don't tell my deepest darkest secrets. I have always been like this btw. Also to sort of give you an insight on how I am a little. My personality type is best described as an INTJ/ISTJ.

Any ideas...

Tl;dr have friends, struggle to make new friends and don't really trust other people, sense that people judge me in a negative light from the way they look at me sometimes.

This may sound a bit inappropriate but I would like to hug both of you guys and tell you I'm the same as well.

Thinking of things to say on the spot, injecting life into the conversation (e.g. being playful with others, having long debates etc.) And developing friendships are my main issues. Until now, the issues in my social life were always hidden and dismissed, with thoughts like "I'm not around the right people" - now the right people have turned up, even though they're more open and accepting than others, I struggle to get the best out of then socially. I see others do it effortlessly and it hurts me. My general knowledge is not particularly sharp either so thst compounds my issue. I've got a few close friends and a handful of casual friends I'd say, plus some family friends but that's it.

Now I'm working everyday on something towards improving ny social life in some way: Non-verbal communication (just as important as verbal if not more), freeing up my mental capacity, expanding general knowledge and the constant fear. I hope you guys are doing the same and make huge strides!
Reply 3
Original post by YoungerHamii2014
This may sound a bit inappropriate

This may sound a bit inappropriate but I would like to hug both of you guys and tell you I'm the same as well.

Thinking of things to say on the spot, injecting life into the conversation (e.g. being playful with others, having long debates etc.) And developing friendships are my main issues. Until now, the issues in my social life were always hidden and dismissed, with thoughts like "I'm not around the right people" - now the right people have turned up, even though they're more open and accepting than others, I struggle to get the best out of then socially. I see others do it effortlessly and it hurts me. My general knowledge is not particularly sharp either so thst compounds my issue. I've got a few close friends and a handful of casual friends I'd say, plus some family friends but that's it.

Now I'm working everyday on something towards improving ny social life in some way: Non-verbal communication (just as important as verbal if not more), freeing up my mental capacity, expanding general knowledge and the constant fear. I hope you guys are doing the same and make huge strides!

That's good to hear but I'm afraid I'm a late bloomer in most things! :/

And about it being difficult to think of things to say on the spot, for me it has come down to planning the things I can say in various situations in my mind ahead of time. I really don't like doing this but it's the only way I've been able to deal with my social awkwardness. I guess it's because so many people I know are able to say witty things and come up with good comebacks effortlessly on the spot and I'm just like.. Awkward nods and giggles.. I really hate pre-planning potential conversations but I've kinda forced myself into it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lilyghz
That's good to hear but I'm afraid I'm a late bloomer in most things! :/

And about it being difficult to think of things to say on the spot, for me it has come down to planning the things I can say in various situations in my mind ahead of time. I really don't like doing this but it's the only way I've been able to deal with my social awkwardness. I guess it's because so many people I know are able to say witty things and come up with good comebacks effortlessly on the spot and I'm just like.. Awkward nods and giggles.. I really hate pre-planning potential conversations but I've kinda forced myself into it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done a lot of research into conversational topics during last year and used some of them for the beginning of my second year of Sixth Form, not that they didn't work but I felt I couldn't have conversations so rigid and pre-determined, it would feel like I'm having the same conversation to some degree, but hey everyone is different somewhere down the line and it's nice to hear that it works for you.

Do you feel as if you're behind this world? In terms of Fashion, general knowledge, movies, TV, gender knowledge etc. It's just that I feel out of touch, much like a Captain America in that sense :frown:
Reply 5
I've done a lot of research into conversational topics during last year and used some of them for the beginning of my second year of Sixth Form, not that they didn't work but I felt I couldn't have conversations so rigid and pre-determined, it would feel like I'm having the same conversation to some degree, but hey everyone is different somewhere down the line and it's nice to hear that it works for you.

Do you feel as if you're behind this world? In terms of Fashion, general knowledge, movies, TV, gender knowledge etc. It's just that I feel out of touch, much like a Captain America in that sense :frown:

Sometimes I do but not really.. How do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lilyghz
Sometimes I do but not really.. How do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean others knowing more than you do about social norms and conventions. What to do and what not to do for yourself. Recent examples have been myself really liking (if not in love with) this girl and what females expect from men and vice versa and juet healthcare (I musn't use soap to wash my hair, shampoo instead) :s-smilie: Most of the time I appear to most people as confused about most things.
I'm the opposite :P I have about 5-10 close friends (a few back where I'm from, a few at university), but beyond that I really struggle to make a wider circle of friends. I mean there are people who I'd consider acquaintances and I'd be happy to talk to if I bumped into them, but it isn't like we'd ever arrange to meet up or anything. I'm extremely comfortable around a small group of people, and to be honest making new friends isn't at all difficult for me when I'm with one or two of my close friends, but without them I'll be a bit more hit and miss. It's something I've got a lot better at this year during my Freshers Year at University though :biggrin:
Well you're in the right place.
Reply 9
I mean others knowing more than you do about social norms and conventions. What to do and what not to do for yourself. Recent examples have been myself really liking (if not in love with) this girl and what females expect from men and vice versa and juet healthcare (I musn't use soap to wash my hair, shampoo instead) :s-smilie: Most of the time I appear to most people as confused about most things.

Hmm for me maybe so in some things but not for many to be honest. Why do you this is the case for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and start speaking to people. It may not be natural at first, but you will get used to it.

I personally don't like small talk, I only speak to people (friends, strangers, family) if there is a reason to speak to them. Eg "that's a nice dress, where did you get it from?"
Original post by Lilyghz
Hmm for me maybe so in some things but not for many to be honest. Why do you this is the case for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because my original beliefs and conceptions about things, the ones I was living by, weren't true or were vague at the very least. There's so much more to it that others somehow knew, and that make me feel insecure, stunned and needing to "learn" as I quote what a casual friend if mine said :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by jam278
and then becoming closer to people.

maintain at least 10 inches from any member of the opposite sex that is not your arranged husband or face a punishment of 5 lashes in the town square
This is slightly true of me- I just don't know how to talk about a subject/ what to joke about and not joke about. Having said that I'm quite happy with the selection of mates that I have, maybe one more addition would satisfy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by stargirl63
Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and start speaking to people. It may not be natural at first, but you will get used to it.

I personally don't like small talk, I only speak to people (friends, strangers, family) if there is a reason to speak to them. Eg "that's a nice dress, where did you get it from?"

Hmm, yeah I think I'll do that.

Main thing I struggle to do that with are girls, since we don't have much things in common e.g. so biting the bullet for a conversation that won't go longer than 2 minutes and have no substance to it whatsoever just feels weird...

I struggle with people in general though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278

this is the one of the most common insecurities actually, after the way you look, intelligence, and money and security.

lots of people have it.

Let's do a mental exercise.

Let's pretend you are a billionaire with model good looks.
Would you still have anxiety ? Worry ? Fear ? If not, why not ?

What if you looked like the elephant man ? Would you have social anxiety, and if so , why ?

Do you feel inferior ? Ashamed of something ?
Shame and inferiority leads to low confidence.
Low confidence = "i'm not good enough " . which is inferiority.

Where do your feelings of inferiority, shame, deep worry and fear come from ?
being judged ? judged on something you are ashamed of ?

Maybe I am talking complete cra*, but maybe something i said might have helped.

We can't solve the problem for you. Just identify where it comes from and and have awareness of it.

most people on holiday in a foreign country do not have social anxiety ? why ?
because they are not being judged.
compare those feelings to your current situation.
when did you not have social anxiety, and why ?

do you think you are good enough for other people ?
what are your worries ? coming off as a creepy loser ? this is people's main worry and insecurity.
speaking to people only reminds them further that they are a creepy loser, so they don't speak to anyone, anymore. which can be summed up as inferiority.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by democracyforum
this is the one of the most common insecurities actually, after the way you look, intelligence, and money and security.

lots of people have it.

Let's do a mental exercise.

Let's pretend you are a billionaire with model good looks.
Would you still have anxiety ? Worry ? Fear ? If not, why not ?

What if you looked like the elephant man ? Would you have social anxiety, and if so , why ?

Do you feel inferior ? Ashamed of something ?
Shame and inferiority leads to low confidence.
Low confidence = "i'm not good enough " . which is inferiority.

Where do your feelings of inferiority, shame, deep worry and fear come from ?
being judged ? judged on something you are ashamed of ?

Maybe I am talking complete cra*, but maybe something i said might have helped.

We can't solve the problem for you. Just identify where it comes from and and have awareness of it.

You're right here.

I feel that there is some anxiety about certain situations that makes it unable for me to be fully confident. I reckon that if I had money I'd be able to talk better to people and have less worries about what people think about me.

I genuinely feel that confidence is a case of founded arrogance, well for me. The more happy I am about a situation the more confident I am, I care less about what people think of me when I'm doing well. That's probably what it comes down to tbh.

There's not a problem with my looks though, not necessarily a model but if I just bulked up and got a bit clearer skin I'd look very attractive, looks aren't really a problem for me though as I'm not bad looking.

Thanks for the post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
t.

Money is not the issue, or the problem, or the solution.

It creates false beliefs of worry, anxiety and fear to people susceptible to those feelings.

Some people have no money and don't care and don't feel judged or inferior and are happy and have no anxiety.

Some worry about it all the time.
This is a symptom that you are psychologically wounded in some way and low on confidence to begin with.

The problem is feelings of inferiority and confidence issues. It all stems from low confidence. And shame. what are you afraid people will see underneath you.

If your life was a reality tv show, would you be proud of your daily activities and behaviour ?
or are you ashamed of it ? Shame = low confidence, sometimes anyway

but confidence is a vague, overused word.
What I really mean is, you are afraid of being judged, mocked, laughed at, feel inferior, you compare yourself to others, and your happiness is based off.....what ?

What makes you happy ? a new car ? a new video game ? other people telling you how great you are and congratulating you for no reason whatsoever ?

Happiness must come from within. begin to love yourself. and feelings of worry and anxiety disapppear.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by democracyforum
Money is not the issue, or the problem, or the solution.

It creates false beliefs of worry, anxiety and fear to people susceptible to those feelings.

Some people have no money and don't care and don't feel judged or inferior and are happy and have no anxiety.

Some worry about it all the time.
This is a symptom that you are psychologically wounded in some way and low on confidence to begin with.

The problem is feelings of inferiority and confidence issues. It all stems from low confidence. And shame. what are you afraid people will see underneath you.

If your life was a reality tv show, would you be proud of your daily activities and behaviour ?
or are you ashamed of it ? Shame = low confidence, sometimes anyway

but confidence is a vague, overused word.
What I really mean is, you are afraid of being judged, mocked, laughed at, feel inferior, you compare yourself to others, and your happiness is based off.....what ?

What makes you happy ? a new car ? a new video game ? other people telling you how great you are and congratulating you for no reason whatsoever ?

Happiness must come from within. begin to love yourself. and feelings of worry and anxiety disapppear.

I understand this. The low confidence to me is down to the perceived lack of ability to my ambitions. If I was achieving my ambitions I would be more confident in my ability. It's a positive feedback loop, same thing happens if things are repeatedly not going for me.

I could decide to not care about these things, but the problem is that I rely on these things physically and emotionally, I'll have to change my way of life in order to no longer depend on fulfilling such ambitions.

Sorry if this sounds a bit obscure.

I worry about it a bit, all the time na, I can think to positive thoughts but I feel that I'm a bit of a perfectionist, not in the sense that everything has to be perfect, but I have to get minimum aims achieved and if I don't I'd lose confidence.

What makes me happy, money most definitely. Without it I am not independent, without it I lose control and have to work for somebody. Money is definitely something that makes me happy. I'm a materialistic person. It's not the only thing that makes me happy. Doing well in things also makes me happy e.g. academically/sports/competitions. Having people who care about me makes me happy, which I do have. I see my life as a video game, in events you can be a winner, a loser or a mixture of the two. The more I lose the less motivation I feel about life, when I draw I feel indifferent about life(which is possibly the phase I'm in atm) and the more I win the more happy I feel about life.
(edited 9 years ago)
"the perceived lack of ability to my ambitions."

you don't feel good enough for your ambitions ? why not ?

feeling inferior ? not good enough ? anxiety ? compare yourself to others ? shame and embarrassment - this is the real "loop" and cycle.

Let's say you want to be prime minister of britain.
how do you feel knowing you aren't good enough ,that you can't do it ? that you never will do it ?
do you carry those negative feelings around all day ?
do you decide to give up life because you failed to do it ?
would you lose confidence if you couldn't be prime minister ?
if so, why ?
because you decided that you aren't good enough, therefore you aren't good enough and deserving to be around other people ?
because you have decided you are a failure ?
are you ashamed of the fact you wanted to be prime minister but couldn't be ?

what if you could be prime minister of britain ?
how would you change ?

are your emotions and emotional state only based off what you think you can accomplish ?

do you think you are good enough for other people ?
what are your worries ? coming off as a creepy loser ? this is people's main worry and insecurity.
speaking to people only reminds them further that they are a creepy loser, so they don't speak to anyone, anymore. which can be summed up as inferiority.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending