The Student Room Group
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website

Accommodation for Belfast students

I am starting the foundation art course this year at University of Ulster in Belfast and was just wondering where people doing the same course are living? I know the website says to stay in Jordanstown but is that considered a bit of a hassle as its so far away?
Hello, I am going to belfast for art as well and am looking for a place to live. I think the best option would be to rent a house or room in belfast. I am currently looking to do that so if you make plans to rent a house and need another person to fill a room contact me please :smile:
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey, I've decided I'm just going to live in the Jordanstown accommodation for the first year as I'm coming over from England and don't know anybody so thought it would be the best way to meet people. Then hopefully next year ill be able to get a house actually in Belfast with people from the same course.
Hi there, I've just finished my first year of uni in UUB and would defo like to move into Belfast for my second year. Unfortunately all the ones from my course, Product Design, and friends have already got houses. You still looking for a place or if you have, any spaces?
Reply 4
Original post by Jennamcelvogue
Hello, I am going to belfast for art as well and am looking for a place to live. I think the best option would be to rent a house or room in belfast. I am currently looking to do that so if you make plans to rent a house and need another person to fill a room contact me please :smile:

hi if you are still looking give me a message! we are currently looking for flat mates!
Reply 5
Original post by Jem2014
hi if you are still looking give me a message! we are currently looking for flat mates!

I'm thinking of being a housemate with Jemma and her friend too guys so any other first year UUB students who wanna share let us know!
Original post by ktaylor96
Hey, I've decided I'm just going to live in the Jordanstown accommodation for the first year as I'm coming over from England and don't know anybody so thought it would be the best way to meet people. Then hopefully next year ill be able to get a house actually in Belfast with people from the same course.

Your plan is a solid idea, I done this and it worked out great. Unfortunately due to a new job I can no longer live with them. But yeah coming to DSV first is a good idea
Hi, I'm studying Animation in the university of ulster arts college and I am looking for accommodation. Shac housing have apartments on donegal street near the college if that's what you guys are looking for. The college website suggests it. I honestly havn't much of an idea where I should stay. Is there any particular place the art college students stay?
Reply 8
Original post by BlayneFitz
Hi, I'm studying Animation in the university of ulster arts college and I am looking for accommodation. Shac housing have apartments on donegal street near the college if that's what you guys are looking for. The college website suggests it. I honestly havn't much of an idea where I should stay. Is there any particular place the art college students stay?

You're on the same course as me! :smile:

Honestly, I've went by that SHAC place and it looks dodgy as **** to be honest. If I were you I would try and find a house with other people that's what I did! It shouldn't be hard finding a room going at this stage because there's always empty rooms from people who didn't get in to their course.

Try messaging @smcwilliams484 to see if she is still looking for another roomate.
Original post by Mülly
You're on the same course as me! :smile:

Honestly, I've went by that SHAC place and it looks dodgy as **** to be honest. If I were you I would try and find a house with other people that's what I did! It shouldn't be hard finding a room going at this stage because there's always empty rooms from people who didn't get in to their course.

Try messaging @smcwilliams484 to see if she is still looking for another roomate.

Aw damn, thought that would have been the best place, Il take your word on it and keep looking, thanks for the advice. See you on the course!
Hi sorry I haven't replied but I've been away for a while. Yes I'm still looking for somewhere to live. Have you got anything sorted yet? If you still need someone else to share with I would be interested. Thanks Jenna
Reply 11
Hi there,

I'm almost about to attend my third (or altogether 5 years as I have done foundation and placement year) and final year in the University of Ulster Belfast.

To be completely honest, I have moved around over these years in different accommodations and have some experience in different living accommodation choices.

My foundation year, I stayed at my parents house, which is quite far out of Belfast, but my mum worked in Belfast anyway so I could still get a lift in. Also when I couldn't get a lift with her, eg if she was sick, then I would get the train in, which only took me about half an hour to get to Belfast Central station. Plus there was a bus that goes straight from their town into Belfast city centre and it would take maybe about 45 mins - 1 hour to get in, and then about 15 minute walk to the university.

My first year of my course, I rented a room in a house down the Lisburn Road with my boyfriend for a year with a couple of his friends. This was pretty handy, as it took about half an hour or so to get into Uni from the Lisburn Road and taxi's are available there too (incase you miss the bus) or the train at Adelaide was very close too, which was only one stop away from Great Victoria Street Station and three stops away from Belfast Central Station. The only downsides to living in a privately rented house was that if you live with friends, you will most likely hate eachother by the end of it, due to people not doing dishes, laundry, electric problems and noise. I really did not like living with these people by the end of my contract. And plus, I have heard A LOT of stories from other friends that rented, that they did not get along with their landlords and landlords didn't keep to promises / the contract. TIP: If you are renting, ALWAYS read the contract! I did and it helped me and I still have it to this day just incase I need it for something, even though I have already moved out of this house.

My second year of my course and current living situation is in my boyfriend's and my own house. We rent it privately but we know the landlords very well. We have been living here since 2012 and haven't had any problems. The downside is, we live in the middle of no where and have no car, but there is a local bus and then we can get a train from the town where the bus drops us off. This all takes about 1 hour and a half travel time all the way to Belfast City Centre.

Out of all the accommodations I've lived in over the past (nearly) 5 years, I definitely would say choose to stay at your parents house or a proper privately rented house, but not with friends, and please always read anything before you sign it and make sure you understand what you're signing :smile:

Any questions, just ask and I'll try to answer as best as I can :smile:
Original post by Jennamcelvogue
Hi sorry I haven't replied but I've been away for a while. Yes I'm still looking for somewhere to live. Have you got anything sorted yet? If you still need someone else to share with I would be interested. Thanks Jenna

Hi Jenna, my mate and I are desperately looking for accommodation and we are thinking of something on Jerusalem street. It should hopefully be a good area to stay in because its a student area. If your still stuck for somewhere you can share with us. We might check out the property this week just to be sure its decent. If your up for it I can send you the details.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest