The Student Room Group

Really missing my uni friends

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KadeK
This is advice that you probably don't want to hear, but I think you need to be happy on your own.

You can't be dependent on others, otherwise you just get under each others' feet.

I mean, you're having to cope with three months right now, but what's going to happen when you all completely finish uni?

You need to find the reason for your depression. I'd suggest trying to make new friends in your area.

It's okay I already know I need to find a way to be happy on my own, I have thought about uni finishing and how hard it will be though I do try not to think about it.

And really there is no point getting to the root of the depression, there is no one and all reason, I've been clinically depressed since I was 12. Some things set me into particularly bad episodes such as being on my own or unforeseen emotional distress but overall I am always depressed. I do appreciate the advice though so thank you. :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
It's okay I already know I need to find a way to be happy on my own, I have thought about uni finishing and how hard it will be though I do try not to think about it.

And really there is no point getting to the root of the depression, there is no one and all reason, I've been clinically depressed since I was 12. Some things set me into particularly bad episodes such as being on my own or unforeseen emotional distress but overall I am always depressed. I do appreciate the advice though so thank you. :smile:

I'm sure you have outstanding qualities to have made friends at uni (even if you say you are always depressed).

I don't want to assume, but have you had counselling to address your depression?
Original post by KadeK
I'm sure you have outstanding qualities to have made friends at uni (even if you say you are always depressed).

I don't want to assume, but have you had counselling to address your depression?

Thank you that's very kind of you to say, I am quite good at masking my depression when I am around my friends as I hate to drag them down with me, if I'm having a particularly hard time keeping it together I usually spend the day on my own and hoping the bad feelings are gone by the morning otherwise they would probably think i'm cookoo :P

I tried to get some once but the NHS waiting lists are ridiculous :/ (we're talking months and you don't even get guaranteed on going session) I have considered asking about seeing one at uni but I'm scared to be honest I find it very difficult to talk about how I feel to people I don't know (and almost as hard to people I do know), when I went to my doctor about it I literally sat their in tears for 15 minutes before I could even get any words out
Reply 23
Thank you that's very kind of you to say, I am quite good at masking my depression when I am around my friends as I hate to drag them down with me, if I'm having a particularly hard time keeping it together I usually spend the day on my own and hoping the bad feelings are gone by the morning otherwise they would probably think i'm cookoo :P

I tried to get some once but the NHS waiting lists are ridiculous :/ (we're talking months and you don't even get guaranteed on going session) I have considered asking about seeing one at uni but I'm scared to be honest I find it very difficult to talk about how I feel to people I don't know (and almost as hard to people I do know), when I went to my doctor about it I literally sat their in tears for 15 minutes before I could even get any words out

Well I'm being honest :smile:

If you're at uni, then yes, I'd propose going to see your counsellor there. It's a lot easier.

I know you became really upset with your doctor, but I think it's something to look into. You're strong to mask your depression, and you can be strong to open up to someone that wants to help (even if they are a stranger).
Original post by KadeK
Well I'm being honest :smile:

If you're at uni, then yes, I'd propose going to see your counsellor there. It's a lot easier.

I know you became really upset with your doctor, but I think it's something to look into. You're strong to mask your depression, and you can be strong to open up to someone that wants to help (even if they are a stranger).

Thanks man :smile: I'm just not entirely sure what a counsellor could say to me to make me feel better that a friend couldn't? I just don't really get it.
Reply 25
Thanks man :smile: I'm just not entirely sure what a counsellor could say to me to make me feel better that a friend couldn't? I just don't really get it.

Well, I know this is a weird saying, but what do you have to lose? I guess one could argue that counselling can make you feel worse, but at least you're addressing your issue which, in the long run, can be beneficial. That's what happened to me.

I never, initially, saw the benefits in seeing a counselor but when I did it was extremely therapeutic (to find that I could let out my feelings to someone that was outside the situation).

It did feel upsetting at first because it's a negative environment, but then you start putting things into perspective when you reflect. And it was...warming..when you felt that someone was helping you progress in life (even if it was their job)

Of course every situation/person is different.

I apologise if I'm not articulating myself very well. I've had a long day. But please look into it if it could help you.

In the meantime, is there any chance you make friends at home? Any clubs?
Reply 26
Have you tried taking up a sport or joining a local club? Or even, getting some work experience? It's a great way to make new friends and keep yourself busy.
So this is probably going to seem a little pathetic but I need to get it off my chest and just talk to somebody because I'm going crazy at home.

Finished uni for the summer and I'm missing my friends like crazy and I'm not sure how I can cope with 3 months of this. I don't have any friends back home, only have the friends I made at uni this year and I don't know I just want to talk to them all the time but I know they're busy because they have their own stuff back home whereas I don't have anything for me here and I can tell they don't want to/ have enough time for me over the holidays and it's just getting me really down, I don't do so well when I'm left on my own (depression) and it seemed that being around them was the only thing that helped :frown:

I don't even know what I'm asking...just hi.

TSR is always here...:K:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending