The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher English 2014/15 Thread

So I'm beginning S6 next Tuesday and I thought we may as well have an AH English discussion thread. Anyone started the course yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I have, just starting to plan my dissertation.
Original post by CameronPaterson
Yeah I have, just starting to plan my dissertation.

:redface: we haven't even got back to school😕! What subjects you all taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Just starting to plan my dissertation too :smile:

I'm taking AH English, AH Biology, H Spanish and H Psychology
I'll hopefully be doing AH English. We've been told we probably won't be starting the course until after summer because the teachers aren't sure if the class will run in our school or if we'll have to go somewhere else for it. I'm still not 100% sure I'll be taking it since the exam wasn't great for me :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
I just dropped modern and transferred over to English instead. I have no idea why I'm doing this to myself. I have no idea what I'm going to do for my dissertation. :s
Reply 6
I did AH English in 2013 (just finished my first year doing English at uni :smile: ) so if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help if I can, or give you suggestions of dissertation texts my friends and I did :smile:
Hey,

We've just started and so far we are doing Sylvia Plath poetry and Alasdair Grey novels for our study. Nice and cheery :P

I'm thinking Hemingway for my dissertation, not sure what books yet, because I have two. Maybe both. :smile: what you guys thinking for your dissertation texts?

Also, aiming to do the creative folio! I do love writing and will get some poetry in maybe.
Started the course today, I kinda like it.
I'm excited to find out my texts! I don't think we will be doing poems

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarzed
I did AH English in 2013 (just finished my first year doing English at uni :smile: ) so if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help if I can, or give you suggestions of dissertation texts my friends and I did :smile:

Hi, would you mind giving some examples of dissertation texts, please? I'm really stumped on what to choose. Thanks :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by GoldenAge
Hi, would you mind giving some examples of dissertation texts, please? I'm really stumped on what to choose. Thanks :smile:

Hi :smile: I think the important thing when you pick is to choose something you enjoy, and we got given the whole summer just to read different stuff and come up with ideas, so no need to rush!

I did The Waves and To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, partly because they were quite unusual choices and I'd never heard of anyone doing Woolf before, so I hoped I would stand out! Other people did Shakespeare (Macbeth and King Lear I think?); Arthur Conan Doyle short stories; one boy did A Clockwork Orange and Dorian Gray; someone did All Quiet on the Western Front and Birdsong; so we had quite a mixture in our class! As long as it's not something you've studied before and your teacher approves of it (and your plan) then you can pick pretty much anything! The SQA have a list of recommended authors and example dissertation questions which might help you too :smile:

Also, our teacher (though this varies across schools) told us to avoid 1984/Fahrenheit 451 because they get done soooo frequently the markers get a bit sick of seeing them! That being said, my friend from a different school used them and he got an A, so it is possible!!
Reply 12
I just sat the course and studied Persuasion,Pride & Prejudice, Sweetbird Of Youth and A Streetcar Named Desire, along with the textual analysis. So if anyone needs anything, I will also be happy to help out!
Original post by dina`
I just sat the course and studied Persuasion,Pride & Prejudice, Sweetbird Of Youth and A Streetcar Named Desire, along with the textual analysis. So if anyone needs anything, I will also be happy to help out!

How was TA in comparison to higher CR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by GeschichteJunge
How was TA in comparison to higher CR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you first start the textual analysis, it may look daunting and impossible when my class first started doing them at the beginning of the year we all found them so difficult, but don't worry with practice and learning the techniques and ways to analyse and answer the qs, it will become a lot more manageable. Just give it time and work hard!
Original post by GeschichteJunge
So I'm beginning S6 next Tuesday and I thought we may as well have an AH English discussion thread. Anyone started the course yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea geschictejunge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laurenmhari
Good idea geschictejunge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Je sais😏

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarzed
Hi :smile: I think the important thing when you pick is to choose something you enjoy, and we got given the whole summer just to read different stuff and come up with ideas, so no need to rush!

I did The Waves and To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, partly because they were quite unusual choices and I'd never heard of anyone doing Woolf before, so I hoped I would stand out! Other people did Shakespeare (Macbeth and King Lear I think?); Arthur Conan Doyle short stories; one boy did A Clockwork Orange and Dorian Gray; someone did All Quiet on the Western Front and Birdsong; so we had quite a mixture in our class! As long as it's not something you've studied before and your teacher approves of it (and your plan) then you can pick pretty much anything! The SQA have a list of recommended authors and example dissertation questions which might help you too :smile:

Also, our teacher (though this varies across schools) told us to avoid 1984/Fahrenheit 451 because they get done soooo frequently the markers get a bit sick of seeing them! That being said, my friend from a different school used them and he got an A, so it is possible!!

Okay, that helps a lot actually. Do you know anything about classic texts being preferred over contemporary ones? I spoke to one of the girls who did AH last year (she actually found me in the library and had to shout at me before I heard her) and she said she had until November for her dissertation but only ended up finishing it in January. But she said that it wasn't too bad once you get down into it, so I'm hoping everything goes awesome and just starts to click.

I'm not sure if you said before or not, but what did you do for the third unit? Like, did you do TA or a folio? I'm guessing both are pretty taxing but I haven't been in class so I know nothing about either one. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by GoldenAge
Okay, that helps a lot actually. Do you know anything about classic texts being preferred over contemporary ones? I spoke to one of the girls who did AH last year (she actually found me in the library and had to shout at me before I heard her) and she said she had until November for her dissertation but only ended up finishing it in January. But she said that it wasn't too bad once you get down into it, so I'm hoping everything goes awesome and just starts to click.

I'm not sure if you said before or not, but what did you do for the third unit? Like, did you do TA or a folio? I'm guessing both are pretty taxing but I haven't been in class so I know nothing about either one. :smile:

Oh, well the dissertation doesn't actually have to be sent in until April, so you have plenty time! :smile: and 4,000 words seems like a lot, but it's actually not that much once you start writing. We were advised to think of it as writing 3/4 higher-length essays and then linking them together, just as a way of breaking it into more manageable chunks. So do an 'essay' for each section eg. setting, imagery etc.

I did Thomas Hardy (prose) and Seamus Heaney for my critical essay section and then did the creative writing folio-against my will...I wanted to do TA!

The folio isn't *hard*, it's just obviously hard to know what is/isn't going to impress the examiner? I'm the most unimaginative person on earth so I was worried my folio would just end up really cheesy and full of cliches...I got a breakdown of my marks and my dissertation was my best section by far, then the essay, then my folio! Haha!
I'm really struggling to choose texts for the dissertation! There're just too many to choose from! :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending