The Student Room Group

Nan has been diagnosed with cancer 2 days before my A2 exam. Worth emailing the uni?

Hey everyone,

So yeah, the title says it all really. I'm extremely close with my Nan (who's 91) and was actually living with her for a few years. She has seemed fine for ages so it's all come to a bit of a shock. I feel awful as I haven't had any time to visit her in the hospital as I'm so busy with revision for my last exam on Friday :frown:

Anyway, I'm worried it's going to effect my results, and I'm wondering if I should email my firmed uni explaining the situation and how it could possibly result in me getting a lower result than expected?

I plan on studying Psychology at Goldsmiths College in London this September. They do state on their website that their entry requirements are not strict because 'there are many reasons why students may drop their grades', so does anyone think it's a good idea for me to just send them an email?
Original post by Charybde
Hey everyone,

So yeah, the title says it all really. I'm extremely close with my Nan (who's 91) and was actually living with her for a few years. She has seemed fine for ages so it's all come to a bit of a shock. I feel awful as I haven't had any time to visit her in the hospital as I'm so busy with revision for my last exam on Friday :frown:

Anyway, I'm worried it's going to effect my results, and I'm wondering if I should email my firmed uni explaining the situation and how it could possibly result in me getting a lower result than expected?

I plan on studying Psychology at Goldsmiths College in London this September. They do state on their website that their entry requirements are not strict because 'there are many reasons why students may drop their grades', so does anyone think it's a good idea for me to just send them an email?

I think you are a troll. However, if not then It will affect your results and I have heard tales of people who have simply broken down in the exam because of external pressures much less severe than your Nan getting cancer. Inevitably and from what I have heard Universities cannot do anything to intercede. Even if they could it is simply too late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNsF23OHth0

I would advise you to watch this video from 1:03 onwards.

Give your Nan my regards.
Reply 2
Original post by idowhatidesire2
I think you are a troll. However, if not then It will affect your results and I have heard tales of people who have simply broken down in the exam because of external pressures much less severe than your Nan getting cancer. Inevitably and from what I have heard Universities cannot do anything to intercede. Even if they could it is simply too late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNsF23OHth0

I would advise you to watch this video from 1:03 onwards.

Give your Nan my regards.

What makes you think I'm a troll?! My thread is in no way offensive, and you can see I have a fairly active account here. Not to mention this is a pretty personal subject :/

Anyway, yeah I imagine there's not much the uni can do to intercede, but I thought if I told them about my circumstances surrounding the exam that they may consider this when deciding whether they will accept me or not (that's if I don't meet my offer anyway)
Original post by Charybde
What makes you think I'm a troll?! My thread is in no way offensive, and you can see I have a fairly active account here. Not to mention this is a pretty personal subject :/

Anyway, yeah I imagine there's not much the uni can do to intercede, but I thought if I told them about my circumstances surrounding the exam that they may consider this when deciding whether they will accept me or not (that's if I don't meet my offer anyway)

Well there are a lot of troll on the forum. I doubt the Uni will be able to do much to help you. If they start allowing circumstances like yours as unfortunate as they are to affect who they allow in then very quickly, it will become ridiculous. There grades are already low so to lower them further would cause a problem. Your grandma is 91, she is not likely to be around much longer. Your best advice would be to go see her and make her as comfortable as possible.
Well the best thing to do would be to talk to your school/college. Normally they will get into contact with the Universities on your behalf. Most schools/colleges will have a designated 'Exams Officer' so you're best off talking to them. The University should give a fair response to them, and this allows you to focus on what's really important. Your Nan.

You may want to apply for 'Extenuating Circumstances' as well, which may allow you to get a fairer reflection of your ability than the exam at this stage would give you. Again, talk to the 'Exams Officer' as well as if you have a form tutor or something of that ilk. If not, your subject teacher or failing that a member of staff that you trust.
Reply 5
Original post by Gonzales95
Well the best thing to do would be to talk to your school/college. Normally they will get into contact with the Universities on your behalf. Most schools/colleges will have a designated 'Exams Officer' so you're best off talking to them. The University should give a fair response to them, and this allows you to focus on what's really important. Your Nan.

You may want to apply for 'Extenuating Circumstances' as well, which may allow you to get a fairer reflection of your ability than the exam at this stage would give you. Again, talk to the 'Exams Officer' as well as if you have a form tutor or something of that ilk. If not, your subject teacher or failing that a member of staff that you trust.

Thanks you for your advice!

The thing is I'm actually sitting my exams from home so there's no college I can tell about this :/ otherwise I'd do that.
I think in your situation, considering you are not tied down to an exam centre, you should call the admissions department at Goldsmiths.

Explain the situation and why you have come to them and not contacted your college/school and I'm sure they'll be helpful.
Nothing the university can really do. And to be honest it really shouldn't be grounds for special consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending