The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by locksher
Sorry to go a bit off topic but what kind of qualification is this? I didn't think PE counted for anything unless it was BTEC/GCSE

I have a level 3 in core PE (compulsory PE), I didn't declare it on my Uni applications but when I took all my certificates (I was given one for PE with my GCSEs) in for my Uni my interview they insisted on adding it on to my application, in my eyes it wasn't relevant and I imagine the admissions staff felt the same.
Original post by fabstrawberry
I didn't know where to post this..

Ok so basically, I'm 14 and I've always hated PE. I'm not even fat, I weigh about 7 stone. It always made me feel sick to my stomach, everything about it. And just about 2-3 months ago I was diagnosed with anxiety. I've been talking to the school nurse for like 2 months and she agreed that although obviously she promotes exercise since she's a nurse, she thinks that it would be better for me not to be in the typical PE environment. She emailed my guidance teacher about 4 times (during the course of a month) He never once replied to any of them, he's the type of 'guidance teacher' that doesn't actually give a **** about your problems, always promises to sort things out and never does..

So last week and this week I've just not gone at all. I've also skived it a lot before but managed to get away with it somehow.
But I realized that if I'm going to properly never go to it (when I skived before I would make an appearance at least once a week) then I'm going to have to think of something else rather than saying I have appointments all the time.
But if it comes down to it and I get pulled out of class or something for it then I'm basically just going to say I'm refusing to do it because of my anxiety. My parents also know that I don't go to PE. They honestly don't care, as long as I go to all my other subjects then it's fine, they know I've always hated PE and now that I'm older they don't see any point forcing it on me.
So I suppose my question is, has anyone done this before, known someone who's done it, outcomes etc? I know they're going to try and ''have a chat'' with me or something and try convince me to do it, but I'm adamant haha. They can't make me do it. I don't care if I failed PE or whatever. I'm also in general a good pupil, never been suspended or anything like that.. So yeah thanks if anyone actually read that c:

I always hated PE, especially whenever we did team sports. Girls can be such bitches and some liked to be bossy and unnecessarily rude. It didn't help that I was quiet so they felt they could just blame me for anything. I often just ran around acting like I was pretending to help so I could look like I was taking part. The only time I actually liked PE was when we went to the gym every 2 weeks in year 10 and 11. We were mixed with boys then too and it was nice to be able to choose what equipment you want to use and just chill.

Anyway, I think I started to bunk PE a lot in year 11 because I just couldn't stand it. Like you, I weigh about 7 stone too so I have no issues with my weight, I just felt anxious having to participate in a lesson with such boisterous, nasty girls. I always felt like they laughed at me behind my back if I failed to catch a ball or couldn't do a flip on the trampoline or something. Also, I remember one girl was quite rude to me and even shouted at another girl, bringing her to tears just because she apparently made their team lose. There was also one time where we were playing netball and this girl was like "why are you so skinny?" (I'm not even that skinny /: only quite petite looking compared to her) I just looked at her blankly not knowing how to answer such a ridiculous question.

Because I did piano lessons, sometimes I would walk around the corridors for the first 15 minutes or so of the lesson and then turn up late and say that I was in my piano lesson or that it ran over time or something. Other times I would just find an excuse by saying I was sick or something but the teachers were such *****, even if you were dying they would still expect you to do PE so I had to get my mum to write fake notes sometimes as she knew how much I hated it. This included making notes for when I was actually sick too but even if you were on your period with severe cramps, they would expect you to suck it up. I mean come on, they're women, they should understand the pain ffs. Whenever that happened, I went to the nurse and she let me lie down if I wanted to and always offered to give me this warm thing that's like the hot version of an ice pack to sooth the pain. There were also a few occasions where I would go to my favourite science teacher and tell him that I had a free period (because I did RE a year early, we had free lessons in year 11 after deciding to not start the AS) so he would let me stay in his room and get on with whatever work I had to do. I really did not give a **** about PE. As far as I was concerned, it was a useless subject and was not needed and whenever I was in a lesson, my self-esteem was like -100. I remember in year 9, my teacher said that I should visit her in parents evening...I thought, "**** THAT, I have more important teachers to see!". Like you, I was generally a good pupil who teachers never had a bad word to say about and I didn't really get into trouble. I'm so happy PE is no longer compulsory for me anymore at college haha, I would have been so depressed, don't think I could have put up with it for another 2 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Got to admit, I skived for the last year and a half. They tried giving me detentions but I just didn't go. Otherwise I was a good student, guess that's why they gave up.

First of all, the PE program here is ridiculous. It was all team sports all the time, which was humiliating.
Secondly, our group did it right next to the boys. I was an early bloomer, shall we say, and more often than not our lessons would consist of the boys shouting offensive, sexist remarks at me. That's when I decided to quit. I wasn't about to get sexually harassed for 2 hours a week voluntarily and the teachers did nothing about it, just told me to suck it up. So when they phoned home to complain, mum let them have it, and again, another reason they gave up.

I agree PE is very important, but it's a joke the way it's carried out here. If you're not sporty you get left behind and humiliated. Every other subject needs good differentiation, why not PE?
Original post by Kandybars
I always hated PE, especially whenever we did team sports. Girls can be such bitches and some liked to be bossy and unnecessarily rude. It didn't help that I was quiet so they felt they could just blame me for anything. I often just ran around acting like I was pretending to help so I could look like I was taking part. The only time I actually liked PE was when we went to the gym every 2 weeks in year 10 and 11. We were mixed with boys then too and it was nice to be able to choose what equipment you want to use and just chill.

Anyway, I think I started to bunk PE a lot in year 11 because I just couldn't stand it. Like you, I weigh about 7 stone too so I have no issues with my weight, I just felt anxious having to participate in a lesson with such boisterous, nasty girls. I always felt like they laughed at me behind my back if I failed to catch a ball or couldn't do a flip on the trampoline or something. Also, I remember one girl was quite rude to me and even shouted at another girl, bringing her to tears just because she apparently made their team lose. There was also one time where we were playing netball and this girl was like "why are you so skinny?" (I'm not even that skinny /: only quite petite looking compared to her) I just looked at her blankly not knowing how to answer such a ridiculous question.

Because I did piano lessons, sometimes I would walk around the corridors for the first 15 minutes or so of the lesson and then turn up late and say that I was in my piano lesson or that it ran over time or something. Other times I would just find an excuse by saying I was sick or something but the teachers were such *****, even if you were dying they would still expect you to do PE so I had to get my mum to write fake notes sometimes as she knew how much I hated it. This included making notes for when I was actually sick too but even if you were on your period with severe cramps, they would expect you to suck it up. I mean come on, they're women, they should understand the pain ffs. Whenever that happened, I went to the nurse and she let me lie down if I wanted to and always offered to give me this warm thing that's like the hot version of an ice pack to sooth the pain. There were also a few occasions where I would go to my favourite science teacher and tell him that I had a free period (because I did RE a year early, we had free lessons in year 11 after deciding to not start the AS) so he would let me stay in his room and get on with whatever work I had to do. I really did not give a **** about PE. As far as I was concerned, it was a useless subject and was not needed and whenever I was in a lesson, my self-esteem was like -100. I remember in year 9, my teacher said that I should visit her in parents evening...I thought, "**** THAT, I have more important teachers to see!". Like you, I was generally a good pupil who teachers never had a bad word to say about and I didn't really get into trouble. I'm so happy PE is no longer compulsory for me anymore at college haha, I would have been so depressed, don't think I could have put up with it for another 2 years.

Hey, thanks for the long post c: I can totally understand what you mean about other girls. I do the exact same thing, try to look like I'm trying when I barely am.
Did you get spoken to about it, what did they say and what did you say? Also did it affect getting into college/your reports or anything? Like because you skived PE haha?
Original post by manchesterunited15
That's pathetic.

Why would you come into a thread just to insult?!
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Why would you come into a thread just to insult?!

The people that I was referring to aren't here, so no one should feel insulted.

That line was my opening statement of a debate. It was intended to invite responses.
The people that I was referring to aren't here, so no one should feel insulted.

That line was my opening statement of a debate. It was intended to invite responses.

Fair enough just came across like you were intentionally being offensive

I stopped going to school altogether in year 10, guess you think that's "pathetic" too? Never did P.E either by the way :wink:

Something I notice about you sports nuts is the need to insult anyone who doesn't worship it. Why? I don't go around saying HAHAHA LOOK AT YOU LESSER MORTALS WHO SUCK AT ART! SUCK ON MY MASTERPIECE YOU UNCREATIVE ****S. ID INVITE YOU TO MY SHOW BUT THE LEVEL OF ARTISTIC BRILLIANCE WOULD IMPLODE YOUR DULL PEA BRAINS, and you rarely see that from artists, or actors, or really anyone who's not in sports or STEM. I don't get the aggressive pushing of your hobby/career
In primary school PE was awful - if you weren't sporty you "weren't trying" and the teachers measured success by points/goals/runs/whatever (which makes no sense because that said nothing about skill, only how good the offensive side was against the defensive.) In secondary it's been much nicer though - we have cool teachers. I understand PE is necessary (and it's illegal not to do it) but I don't understand why some schools are so incredibly anal about it... Then again, it probably has something to do with the fact that being sporty is considered a status symbol where I am.
Fair enough just came across like you were intentionally being offensive

I stopped going to school altogether in year 10, guess you think that's "pathetic" too? Never did P.E either by the way :wink:

Something I notice about you sports nuts is the need to insult anyone who doesn't worship it. Why? I don't go around saying HAHAHA LOOK AT YOU LESSER MORTALS WHO SUCK AT ART! SUCK ON MY MASTERPIECE YOU UNCREATIVE ****S. ID INVITE YOU TO MY SHOW BUT THE LEVEL OF ARTISTIC BRILLIANCE WOULD IMPLODE YOUR DULL PEA BRAINS, and you rarely see that from artists, or actors, or really anyone who's not in sports or STEM. I don't get the aggressive pushing of your hobby/career

Were you homeschooled instead? Depending on the circumstances, it could be pathetic.

I love the bolded sentence. Did you not make a thread questioning why people don't dress in the same manner as you? I'd call that "aggressive pushing of your hobby".

Well, first of all I think PE is much more beneficial and useful than art, for obvious reasons. But that's not what I'm getting at. I don't find people who don't do sport pathetic, I couldn't care less what someone does in their spare time. What I find pathetic is the people who will turn up to PE, then stand around moaning, or ruin the game for everyone else by not playing properly, or whatever. Equally pathetic is when they stop going altogether because they see it as beneath them and can't be bothered to put some effort in and try. They wouldn't do it for any other lesson.

As you mentioned art, I never liked art, but I'd always go and give it a try. Sometimes it turned out fun, sometimes it didn't, but sulking wasn't the best way to go about it.
Were you homeschooled instead? Depending on the circumstances, it could be pathetic.

I love the bolded sentence. Did you not make a thread questioning why people don't dress in the same manner as you?

Well, first of all I think PE is much more beneficial and useful than art, for obvious reasons. But that's not what I'm getting at. I don't find people who don't do sport pathetic, I couldn't care less what someone does in their spare time. What I find pathetic is the people who will turn up to PE, then stand around moaning, or ruin the game for everyone else by not playing properly, or whatever. Equally pathetic is when they stop going altogether because they see it as beneath them and can't be bothered to put some effort in and try. They wouldn't do it for any other lesson.

As you mentioned art, I never liked art, but I'd always go and give it a try. Sometimes it turned out fun, sometimes it didn't, but sulking wasn't the best way to go about it.

No I wasn't. However I did have a legit reason in that I had severe depression. You don't strike me as the type to consider that a reason though, gonna tell me to man up eh? :rolleyes:

I asked why people dress scruffy. That is not the same insisting everyone dresses the same as me. You can have a different style to me and still look nice

Why should someone waste their time, if they don't want to do PE, why go? It's not a real lesson and a lot if the time the so called "popular" sporty kids just abuse those who have more intellectual persuits. Don't see why people should subject themselves to that.

I wouldn't begrudge you if you never turned up to art. We don't all like the same things
No I wasn't. However I did have a legit reason in that I had severe depression. You don't strike me as the type to consider that a reason though, gonna tell me to man up eh? :rolleyes:

I asked why people dress scruffy. That is not the same insisting everyone dresses the same as me. You can have a different style to me and still look nice

Why should someone waste their time, if they don't want to do PE, why go? It's not a real lesson and a lot if the time the so called "popular" sporty kids just abuse those who have more intellectual persuits. Don't see why people should subject themselves to that.

I wouldn't begrudge you if you never turned up to art. We don't all like the same things

I don't think depression is a pathetic reason at all, and I'm offended that you've judged me so harshly.

I read that thread, and you were insistent that people who dressed differently were not dressing nicely. I seem to remember you calling their style "boring and ugly".

Firstly, I don't think people get abused for being bad at sport. What they do get abused for is not trying and as I said ruining it for others. If you try hard, most people will respect that. Also I find there's just as much "abuse" in other lessons. If you give a stupid answer in maths, you may get laughed at. It's no different.
Reply 91

You can't just not turn up to the lessons to you don't like. I never liked P.E. for the entire time I had to do it, I still went to every single lesson. You can't just not do it.

It's like saying 'I don't like tax, I'm not going to pay it'. You can't do that, can you? Life involves doing lots of things you don't like, and you can't just skip them. :smile:

This is a very good point. I've witnessed it so much and I believe the people subjected to it (or even those not but are scared of it) have a right to choose not to do PE.

You don't see many gangs physically bullying somebody if they don't know how to use the chain, product and quotient rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think depression is a pathetic reason at all, and I'm offended that you've judged me so harshly.

I read that thread, and you were insistent that people who dressed differently were not dressing nicely. I seem to remember you calling their style "boring and ugly".

Firstly, I don't think people get abused for being bad at sport. What they do get abused for is not trying and as I said ruining it for others. If you try hard, most people will respect that. Also I find there's just as much "abuse" in other lessons. If you give a stupid answer in maths, you may get laughed at. It's no different.

Fair enough, I apologise. It's a popular opinion with some on here sorry for assuming you were one

I said people who dressed scruffy were. I even posted examples of scruffy. Not just having a different style .

Take it from me. We do. I have the worst coordination, I once got beaten up so badly in the changing room I had to go to the police. Also had my clothes nicked. Was insulted, abused, laughed at and just generally treated like ****. Sorry when was the last time a gang of nerds beat someone up for not knowing Pythagoras?

Original post by Asciant
You can't just not turn up to the lessons to you don't like. I never liked P.E. for the entire time I had to do it, I still went to every single lesson. You can't just not do it.

It's like saying 'I don't like tax, I'm not going to pay it'. You can't do that, can you? Life involves doing lots of things you don't like, and you can't just skip them. :smile:

Paying tax, which benefits everyone, is very different

Original post by Mubariz
This is a very good point. I've witnessed it so much and I believe the people subjected to it (or even those not but are scared of it) have a right to choose not to do PE.

You don't see many gangs physically bullying somebody if they don't know how to use the chain, product and quotient rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly
I do think it's a shame if people shun PE, because I think it serves two main purposes:

* In a country with high rates of child and adult obesity, it exposes children to a wide range of sports - and encourages them to get into the habit of exercise and sport, which can only make it more likely that they will continue this into their adult years. This can only be a positive thing for their health.

* It's one of very few school subjects that teaches the value of teamwork, and how to work together and communicate clearly. In terms of future employability, this is probably one of, if not the most, important social 'soft skill' you can have.

As a qualification, sure, who cares. But as a socially useful activity for children to be encouraged to do in schools, I think its important. I'm absolutely amenable to them changing it to reflect the needs of less physically confident individuals, but I would hate it to get to the stage where people are free to opt out of the subject altogether. I think it's valuable.
Fair enough, I apologise. It's a popular opinion with some on here sorry for assuming you were one

I said people who dressed scruffy were. I even posted examples of scruffy. Not just having a different style .

Take it from me. We do. I have the worst coordination, I once got beaten up so badly in the changing room I had to go to the police. Also had my clothes nicked. Was insulted, abused, laughed at and just generally treated like ****. Sorry when was the last time a gang of nerds beat someone up for not knowing Pythagoras?

That's okay, appreciate it.

Scruffy is a style, isn't it? And even if it isn't, even if it's pure fashion laziness, then you insulting them for not being into fashion is pushing your hobbies onto them.

I'm sorry to hear that. But what the **** kinda school did you go to?
Reply 96
Original post by fabstrawberry
I didn't know where to post this..

Ok so basically, I'm 14 and I've always hated PE. I'm not even fat, I weigh about 7 stone. It always made me feel sick to my stomach, everything about it. And just about 2-3 months ago I was diagnosed with anxiety. I've been talking to the school nurse for like 2 months and she agreed that although obviously she promotes exercise since she's a nurse, she thinks that it would be better for me not to be in the typical PE environment. She emailed my guidance teacher about 4 times (during the course of a month) He never once replied to any of them, he's the type of 'guidance teacher' that doesn't actually give a **** about your problems, always promises to sort things out and never does..

So last week and this week I've just not gone at all. I've also skived it a lot before but managed to get away with it somehow.
But I realized that if I'm going to properly never go to it (when I skived before I would make an appearance at least once a week) then I'm going to have to think of something else rather than saying I have appointments all the time.
But if it comes down to it and I get pulled out of class or something for it then I'm basically just going to say I'm refusing to do it because of my anxiety. My parents also know that I don't go to PE. They honestly don't care, as long as I go to all my other subjects then it's fine, they know I've always hated PE and now that I'm older they don't see any point forcing it on me.
So I suppose my question is, has anyone done this before, known someone who's done it, outcomes etc? I know they're going to try and ''have a chat'' with me or something and try convince me to do it, but I'm adamant haha. They can't make me do it. I don't care if I failed PE or whatever. I'm also in general a good pupil, never been suspended or anything like that.. So yeah thanks if anyone actually read that c:

I've had the exact same problem, so I can really identify with what you're saying and by the looks of things quite a few other people are as well. Basically, I started to skive P.E. for a number of reasons:
I generally get along with the girls in my year far more than the boys in my year, and the boys in my P.E. class were people I would probably never choose to talk to unless I absolutely had to. In fact, a lot of them were just... unpleasant and I regularly felt uncomfortable around most of them.
Also, I had pretty big issues with my body and I dreaded going into the changing rooms. I didn't want people to see my body at all.
Furthermore, all the boys ever did was football, which I never enjoyed, it never promoted teamwork in fact it really brought out the worst in a lot of them and as a none competitive person, again I just didn't fit in at all.
These seem pretty small, but I had anxiety issues and I refused to go. They didn't notice for a few months (about 3) so they didn't really care but the school tried to force me since it is compulsory. They persisted in trying to get me there, they got people to go with me so I wouldn't panic and they tried punishing me but I wouldn't turn up and no one ever said anything so they mustn't have noticed. The school counsellor also told me to go but I just couldn't and they gave up.
However I only think they gave up because they knew I exercised outside of school. I do Taekwondo about 5 hours a week, I enjoy it and it does keep me fit so... yeah, I don't see why I should be forced to do it in school really, I'm a good student and I've never really got into trouble except for a couple of minor things like forgetting a book, so I don't see why they should punish me for something a lot of people have issues with (about 20 girls skived it for a year and a half without getting caught so it wasn't just me)
But a doctor's note would be the best option I think, they can't argue with that and it most certainly is a valid reason. Or get your parents to contact the school, they will most likely listen to what they have to say and probably let you off. Also, if you want to talk about it some more than don't hesitate to PM me XD
I always hated PE, even having a note from my doctor, I still had to do PE but at reduced rate, i.e. didn't do certain activities but yet my teacher kept forgetting that and I had to remind him every time :facepalm: I didn't see any use of PE at school :erm: I went to school on foot whenever it wasn't raining or snowing a lot, so I did more PE then we did at school. Schools should make PE optional and not compulsory.
That's okay, appreciate it.

Scruffy is a style, isn't it? And even if it isn't, even if it's pure fashion laziness, then you insulting them for not being into fashion is pushing your hobbies onto them.

I'm sorry to hear that. But what the **** kinda school did you go to?

I just think it projects a bad image I wouldn't say it's pushing it?

A terrible school yet one that's rated very highly by OFSTED.
I just think it projects a bad image I wouldn't say it's pushing it?

A terrible school yet one that's rated very highly by OFSTED.

A bad image in your opinion. In their opinion they either like the image it projects or don't care either way, so I'd say expecting them to change to be interested in what you're interested in is pushing it on them.

Latest

Trending

Trending