The Student Room Group

Can universities withdraw a course?

I received all of my university offers and accepted my firm (for a 2015 start) and rejected all of the others about a month ago. The university emailed me 2 days ago to say that they are no longer offering the course I accepted in 2015, are they allowed to do that? I have planned to take a gap year and haven't even started reading about finance etc so going in 2014 is not an option. I don't even know what to do anymore.. they are running an alternative but it is different and not the one I accepted. I even specifically emailed them to check that I could do the course in 2015.
Are they actually allowed to just withdraw a course after I have a firm conditional offer? I feel really pi**ed off because I had everything planned out :frown:
Unfortunately they can.

My niece's university cancelled her course after her first year!
Original post by ageshallnot
Unfortunately they can.

My niece's university cancelled her course after her first year!

Oh no >.< I really don't think that should be allowed .. it is such a big commitment and all that money -.-
Unfortunately, this is allowed, and it is very likely the university have cancelled the course because it is no longer financially viable to run. I know it's a shame, and it's even worse when they cancel courses part way through, but universities can't run lots of courses that cost more to run than they bring in.

As they have given you plenty of warning, you can at least apply to alternative courses in September. There's nothing stopping you from reapplying to other courses you've previously rejected. Do you still have an insurance choice in place?

I know this must be very upsetting for you, but at least they have let you know well in advance, so you do have plenty of time to sort out an alternative.
Must not be a very good course or university :smile:
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Unfortunately, this is allowed, and it is very likely the university have cancelled the course because it is no longer financially viable to run. I know it's a shame, and it's even worse when they cancel courses part way through, but universities can't run lots of courses that cost more to run than they bring in.

As they have given you plenty of warning, you can at least apply to alternative courses in September. There's nothing stopping you from reapplying to other courses you've previously rejected. Do you still have an insurance choice in place?

I know this must be very upsetting for you, but at least they have let you know well in advance, so you do have plenty of time to sort out an alternative.

No conditional place :colondollar: I guess I'll just pick an alternative course or reapply :/ if I reapplied can I use the same personal statement and referees?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beingawallflower
No conditional place :colondollar: I guess I'll just pick an alternative course or reapply :/ if I reapplied can I use the same personal statement and referees?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll have to check with your referee, but I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out. You can use your previous personal statement, but you might want to make some changes to reflect the things you've done over the past year, and perhaps anything you do at the start of your gap year. There's no need to rewrite everything, though.

I hope you manage to sort something good out for next year.
Have the university not offered you an alternative course? If there is something you are interested in, call them. You are in a good negotiating position.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Have the university not offered you an alternative course? If there is something you are interested in, call them. You are in a good negotiating position.

Yeah they have alternatives - not ideal but I'll survive :wink: they have been really helpful I just really wanted the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You'll have to check with your referee, but I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out. You can use your previous personal statement, but you might want to make some changes to reflect the things you've done over the past year, and perhaps anything you do at the start of your gap year. There's no need to rewrite everything, though.

I hope you manage to sort something good out for next year.

Thanks :smile: I think I'll accept an alternative course but will consider reapplying :smile: thanks for the information!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beingawallflower
Yeah they have alternatives - not ideal but I'll survive :wink: they have been really helpful I just really wanted the course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I think you have every right to feel aggrieved. Not much to be done, alas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending