The Student Room Group

Ok, desperate advice needed, this could be vital to my life

I'm an as level student and in my chemistry (aqa) i got 209/300 which is a c. Now 210/300 is a b. I went into college and said can i send this off for a remark and 3 teachers were dead agaisnt the idea. None of these teachers were science teachers. Now surely ive got a good chance of getting a b if i ask for a remark right?
im worried:frown:
plz help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
there is always a chance your paper could get downmarked if u send it back off. if ur only doing as level then the actual grade doesnt matter its the marks that count so i would worry yourself.
Reply 2
sarah285
there is always a chance your paper could get downmarked if u send it back off. if ur only doing as level then the actual grade doesnt matter its the marks that count so i would worry yourself.

yer but if im one off a b, so im well into a c in other words, thus its unlikely i will go down to a d. I mean it would save me a resit to get my b possibly dont u tink.
hopefully they will at least find you a mark to take you to a B whereas you would have to loose many marks to go down a grade further. in short- dont listen to your teachers and get a remark. it is not guaranteed but i think its worth the risk.
morgo
yer but if im one off a b, so im well into a c in other words, thus its unlikely i will go down to a d. I mean it would save me a resit to get my b possibly dont u tink.

The only reason you should do a resit is if you think you could substantially improve: ie not just get a B by one or two marks, but get a solid B, surely?

A remark wouldn't get you much more than you already have, maybe a couple of extra marks. Yes, that would be a B instead of a C, but if you are planning on carrying on chemistry to A2, then again, what is the point? One or two marks probably won't make much difference to your final mark after two years, nor would having the B instead of the C make much difference to the predicted grades your teachers will give you. They know exactly where you're at: a very strong C. If they think you're capable of a B, they'll predict you that whether you just scrapped a B now or whether you just missed out on one by a couple of marks.

The bottle line is that I think doing anything is pretty pointless now. If you consider the remark as an alternative to a resit, then you shouldn't even be considering a resit. A resit should only be sat if you think you can substantially improve upon a mark. A remark should only be done if you think you've seriously been hard done by or if your grades are your final ones at the end of A2.

:smile:
Reply 5
ye thats what i thought too, right i typed in AQA remarks into google and it found this page.

Pricing for Enquiries about Results 2006
Fees include an administration charge.

Priority Remark - available until 24 August:

AQA and EdExcel £45.00
OCR and WJEC £40.00
Priority Remark with copy script:

AQA and EdExcel £55.00
OCR and WJEC £50.00
Remark - available until 18 September:

AQA and EdExcel £40.00
OCR and WJEC £35.00
Remark with access to script:

AQA and EdExcel £50.00
OCR and WJEC £45.00
Request for photocopy script - until 24 August:

All boards £15.00
Request for original script - available until 2 October

All boards £12.50

End of information about re-marks and access to scripts.

Return to list of contents or

Return to top of page

Do you think the date for remarks is 18th sep or 24th august
Reply 6
Roger Kirk
The only reason you should do a resit is if you think you could substantially improve: ie not just get a B by one or two marks, but get a solid B, surely?

A remark wouldn't get you much more than you already have, maybe a couple of extra marks. Yes, that would be a B instead of a C, but if you are planning on carrying on chemistry to A2, then again, what is the point? One or two marks probably won't make much difference to your final mark after two years, nor would having the B instead of the C make much difference to the predicted grades your teachers will give you. They know exactly where you're at: a very strong C. If they think you're capable of a B, they'll predict you that whether you just scrapped a B now or whether you just missed out on one by a couple of marks.

The bottle line is that I think doing anything is pretty pointless now. If you consider the remark as an alternative to a resit, then you shouldn't even be considering a resit. A resit should only be sat if you think you can substantially improve upon a mark. A remark should only be done if you think you've seriously been hard done by or if your grades are your final ones at the end of A2.

:smile:

o right yeah i know what u mean, hmm not sure... btw can u tell me looking at the data in the previous post if the date is 18th sep?
morgo
o right yeah i know what u mean, hmm not sure... btw can u tell me looking at the data in the previous post if the date is 18th sep?

The priority remark date is 24th August. That will be for urgent cases, such as those people needing the remark immediately as it affects something like their university offer.

I don't think you're would, so you'd have up to September 18th.

(Of course, don't take my word on this to be exact, it's only based on what I can make out from those figures and from what I understand from someone else getting a remark).

Those prices are also more expensive than I imagined a remark to be. I'm not surprised your school is reluctant to get a remark when in the grand scheme of things you'll only a get a couple of marks more which won;t make much difference to your A2 result...a little bit of extra effort from you could gain many more marks in future modules...and those extra marks wouldn't cost anybody anything :smile:
Reply 8
so you think for that 1 mark i shouldnt remark, but instead i should resit 1 mod and get a solid b?. wouldnt a resit be more expensive than a remark though.
Err... basically you should get it remarked if you think they've made a serious mistake. If you're doing it hoping you'll get a nice marker, don't bother. :rolleyes:

And a remark will cost you up to £40 anyway so why bother? When you do chemistry A-level next year your chemistry will go beyond that required for AS, so resit the module you failed most on (or modules) and get a good solid A, not a scabby "one-mark-over-the-boundary" B.
morgo
so you think for that 1 mark i shouldnt remark, but instead i should resit 1 mod and get a solid b?. wouldnt a resit be more expensive than a remark though.

Sort of that.

I'm suggesting it's not worth a remark for one or two marks.

And only do a resit (assuming your school lets you) if you think you could get at least a solid B froma resit. Again it's not worth doing a reist if all you are after is couple of marks here or there. It'd be better to put your effort into your A2 modules and get a few extra marks there. Less effort for you and your school over all, much cheaper too, yet comes out with the same results for you.
morgo

But whats the point in getting a remark when you're only really likely to go up a couple of marks? Its not exactly going to make much difference. You'd be better of retaking and then you could go up to an A - whereas its unlikely with a remark that you'll increase by that many marks.
Reply 12
and yet again, unlike an essay.... chemistry is pretty much either right or wrong... 1 or 2 marks either way most likely. Spend less money and retake the papers.
Reply 13
If this is AS were talking about, the OP should retake not remark.

Remark = possible + 1 or 2 marks
Retake = possible many more marks if student is able to do better.

Remark costs more than retake

Therefore its obvious which id go for.

btw I got 262/300 in AQA AS Chem today:smile:
Reply 14
I would get a re-mark unless you are planning to re-sit next January. I'm getting one of my Critical Thinking papers re-marked - I got 236/300 - I am hoping I can get boosted up to 240 for an A grade. If my teachers try and persuade me otherwise, then I couldn't care less. It's my decision - and it's yours too. I would get your parents to write in.
seaspray
I would get a re-mark unless you are planning to re-sit next January. I'm getting one of my Critical Thinking papers re-marked - I got 236/300 - I am hoping I can get boosted up to 240 for an A grade. If my teachers try and persuade me otherwise, then I couldn't care less. It's my decision - and it's yours too. I would get your parents to write in.

It's only your decision if you're willing to pay for it. Schools aren't made of money. They can't waste money on endless remarks. You're lucky to get any resits in some schools. They have to prioritise money, and rightly so. They can't afford to waste money giving special treatment to certain students who are scrabbling around trying to grab at a few extra marks when a little bit more work before the exam might have easily got those extra marks and a few more besides.

Leave remarking time over for those who really need it...for those pupils who had really surprising marks, like were predicted a B but got an E for example. Wasting remarking time scrabbling for a couple of almost pointless marks just keeps those with real remarking problems waiting. I bet most remarks could get done by the end of the month if it were only the most legitimate cases seen.
Reply 16
ive decided i will make my mind up in a couple of weeks.
Reply 17
Definitely resit instead of getting a remark. A couple of extra marks aren't going to help you if you're carrying on to A2. Even 10+ gained by resitting will take the pressure off considerably next year though.
Reply 18
wait if i get 1 mark ive got a b instead of a c, now thats my point. If ive got a b going into the next year, how is that bad
because even though its a b, its only one mark more, and therefore is not going to relieve the pressure next year at all. If you did a retake however and got a solid b, you would make it much easier to get your desired grade as you would have more marks at AS.

Latest