The Student Room Group

Girls If your man asked you to dress more conservatively would you do it for him?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
About half of the married men I know are told exactly what to wear by their wives.

I don't see them getting all uppity about it.
No.
- If I was wearing a bikini around the centre of Bristol, and he was embarrassed by it, then yes.
- If I already dressed like a librarian and he wanted me to put on a burqa then no.

Like most people I think I'd draw the line at what the general population finds acceptable. I'd be more than happy to respect his view if the way I dressed made him uncomfortable - I don't think it's 'denying women their freedom', just a polite request in a stable relationship. However, if the request was religiously or culturally based, and to a level that did have a negative impact on my day to day life, then we would have to talk very seriously about how the relationship could work in the long term.
It depends on why and how he asks....
Yes. I'm asexual so the idea of anyone looking at me in a sexual way gives me a strong sense of revulsion.
Original post by Orthonym
I dress conservatively. If I were the kind of person to dress provocatively every day then maybe I wouldn't be the kind of person who had a decent enough relationship in the first place.

Yes, if a woman dresses "provocatively" she must be incapable of a decent relationship, thanks grandma.

I'd never tell a girl what to wear, I'm pretty uninterested, and I don't judge people by their clothes. As long as she doesn't get all superior because she dresses a certain way she's good with me.
Reply 46
Original post by Mankytoes
Yes, if a woman dresses "provocatively" she must be incapable of a decent relationship, thanks grandma.

I'd never tell a girl what to wear, I'm pretty uninterested, and I don't judge people by their clothes. As long as she doesn't get all superior because she dresses a certain way she's good with me.

I don't know why I'm getting hate for this. I never said that I don't know how to dress up on a night out. I just think that if someone is dressing in such a way that her own boyfriend thinks she is showing too much skin, it suggests she is getting and responding to lots of male attention and the boyfriend is not happy. I think a girlfriend should be aware of how her actions might be affecting her boyfriend. If the boyfriend is OK with the way she dresses then that is fine - whatever works for them.
I don't know why I'm getting hate for this.

I never said that I don't know how to dress up on a night out. I just think that if someone is dressing in such a way that her own boyfriend thinks she is showing too much skin, it suggests she is getting and responding to lots of male attention and the boyfriend is not happy. I think a girlfriend should be aware of how her actions might be affecting her boyfriend. If the boyfriend is OK with the way she dresses then that is fine - whatever works for them.

I'd say it's because that post looked very smug. People respond badly to that.

It's more your statement that women who dress "provocatively" wouldn't be capeable of a decent relationship than your feeling that she should listen to him in this example.

It might, or he might just be controlling. I don't particularly enjoy my girlfriend getting lots of attention, I don't think many guys do, but you have to accept it if you want to date attractive girls. There has to be some trust.
I dress conservatively. If I were the kind of person to dress provocatively every day then maybe I wouldn't be the kind of person who had a decent enough relationship in the first place.

EDIT:

I don't know why I'm getting hate for this. I never said that I don't know how to have fun and dress up on a night out. I just think that if someone is dressing in such a way that her own boyfriend thinks she is showing too much skin, it suggests she is getting and responding to other male attention and the boyfriend is not happy. I think a girlfriend should be aware of how her actions might be affecting her boyfriend.

Because you're insinuating that dressing "provocatively," means you don't have decent relationships. First off, I'm sure peoples idea of provocative are different. Second off, most women don't dress to impress men, they dress to impress other women. Third, it's very sad that your appearance is even a factor in your "decent," relationship.

It's more your statement that women who dress "provocatively" wouldn't be capeable of a decent relationship than your feeling that she should listen to him in this example.

It might, or he might just be controlling. I don't particularly enjoy my girlfriend getting lots of attention, I don't think many guys do, but you have to accept it if you want to date attractive girls. There has to be some trust.

At the start of a relationship your absolutely right that most men probably don't want their girlfriend attracting attention because the trust may not be there. After a few months though i (and i imagine a lot of other men) probably switch in the sense that i trust the girl to say no to any advance and so i actually like to show her off.
Original post by Rakas21
At the start of a relationship your absolutely right that most men probably don't want their girlfriend attracting attention because the trust may not be there. After a few months though i (and i imagine a lot of other men) probably switch in the sense that i trust the girl to say no to any advance and so i actually like to show her off.

I do trust her, but a little bit always feels defensive when I know other guys are sniffing around, I think that's natural, and I know she likes it.
I do trust her, but a little bit always feels defensive when I know other guys are sniffing around, I think that's natural, and I know she likes it.

I think it may come down to attitude then. I've always had a bit of an ego so when i trust a girl and she's getting attention i kind of feel a bit smug knowing that i'll be the one inside her later. Early on in a relationship i do feel like yourself though.
Reply 52
This thread is the perfect example of why I will never marry a westernized woman.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Dani California
Because you're insinuating that dressing "provocatively," means you don't have decent relationships. First off, I'm sure peoples idea of provocative are different. Second off, most women don't dress to impress men, they dress to impress other women. Third, it's very sad that your appearance is even a factor in your "decent," relationship.

You are correct, yes. I am insinuating that if someone is dressing in a way that their boyfriend is very uncomfortable with - enough to ask her to dress otherwise, then unless the boyfriend is completely overreacting, the girl is making him uncomfortable. This suggests that she doesn't consider how he might feel, which is a large factor in a relationship.

Regardless of why women dress a certain way, showing more skin gets more male attention, and that gives them an ego boost. Why would a guy ask his girlfriend to dress more conservatively unless for that reason? (unless he is overreacting or being silly)
Reply 54

Fair point, I can see it probably could sound smug. I was feeling judgmental rather than smug when I wrote it.

By provocatively, I meant 'provocative enough for the boyfriend to feel uncomfortable around his own girlfriend' which is probably not just down to what she's wearing but how she acts when she wears it. Basically I'm just really judgmental of girls who have a boyfriend and then to some extent act like they're single in order to feel power either over their partner or other men.
Original post by Welsh Bluebird
OP sounds insecure. Why would you want a woman to cover up? Who gives a crap if other men are looking at her, she's going home with you.....unless of course you try to control her.

Insecure people like this do my head in.

This, finally, some sense.

No Op, I wouldnt change a thing, unless you could see my butt cheeks or nipples then there isnt a problem. I like the way I dress and thats the end of it.

I would consider dressing more conservatively/formally for a family dinner or something but then I would probably do that anyway without being asked.
If he gave a reason in which I then thought about and realised 'yeah, I see your point' I would cover up a bit more. This would be the case of see-through or extremely low cut tops, hot pants, strappy vests etc around town. It may save me embarrassment and regret later when I realise how skimpy or see-though my clothes were.

However, I pretty much wear jeans and opaque t-shirts every day and I don't see that being a problem- if he did comment on one of my day to day jeans and t-shirt combos I would ask why, but most likely say no.
You are correct, yes. I am insinuating that if someone is dressing in a way that their boyfriend is very uncomfortable with - enough to ask her to dress otherwise, then unless the boyfriend is completely overreacting, the girl is making him uncomfortable. This suggests that she doesn't consider how he might feel, which is a large factor in a relationship.

Regardless of why women dress a certain way, showing more skin gets more male attention, and that gives them an ego boost. Why would a guy ask his girlfriend to dress more conservatively unless for that reason? (unless he is overreacting or being silly)
All that I'm getting from this is that you dress like a nun and have a relationship. Perceptions of provocative differ. I'm wearing tiny shorts and a baggy shirt right now, which probably makes me a slut in your "conservative," world. Surprise surprise, I have a healthy relationship based on people, not appearances. If it made him uncomfortable that I get attention, I'd tell him to kiss my ass, for not trusting me.
Reply 58
Original post by Dani California
All that I'm getting from this is that you dress like a nun and have a relationship. Perceptions of provocative differ. I'm wearing tiny shorts and a baggy shirt right now, which probably makes me a slut in your "conservative," world. Surprise surprise, I have a healthy relationship based on people, not appearances. If it made him uncomfortable that I get attention, I'd tell him to kiss my ass, for not trusting me.

If you re-read the post that you were replying to, you will see that it says " if someone is dressing in a way that their boyfriend is very uncomfortable with" which indicates that my opinion can not be applied to your relationship. I feel offended at what you have written, as if you are trying to make me feel small without actually trying to interpret my opinion. I realise that this is because you were probably offended by my original post, and I honestly apologise for it having been written the way it was.

My true opinion agrees with yours. I feel regret that my first post could be misinterpreted by people who sometimes show their legs in public and have a boyfriend. I just have a great dislike for girls who act inappropriately and this is often reflected in the way they dress. I was judging the girls who make their boyfriends uncomfortable, not you.

If you want to know how I really dress in day to day life, I just dress very casually, in a way that doesn't stand out and is guaranteed never to accidentally show half my breast or ass if I were to lean forwards a lot or stack it down the a flight of stairs. I just don't feel the need to do anything more than that unless I'm going out in the evening or some other occasion. That's what I see as conservative wear for this generation.
But I don't think other people must do that too.
Original post by kunoichi
This, finally, some sense.

No Op, I wouldnt change a thing, unless you could see my butt cheeks or nipples then there isnt a problem. I like the way I dress and thats the end of it.

I would consider dressing more conservatively/formally for a family dinner or something but then I would probably do that anyway without being asked.

I cant understand how in a modern society thats supposed to be accepting and progressive some still think its acceptable to tell others how to dress. Fair enough for formal situations for work or certain events but on a day to day basis its ridiculous. People should have the freedom, regardless of gender, to where what they damn well like. Its shocking that some men still try and control women in this way and whilst I think feminism to a degree or totally has gone over the top in some regards I do think it does help highlight serious issues with society in others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending