The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester or Lancaster

Hi
I'm Mayank. I'm from India.

I wanted to ask something from you guys. I've got unconditional offer from both University of Manchester and Lancaster University for Msc Management course. I'm stuck on deciding on which to accept.

Which of these is good for:
1. Studies
2. Nightlife
3. Expense
4. Meeting new people (not just from India)
5. Accomodation

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Original post by yudi7
Hi
I'm Mayank. I'm from India.

I wanted to ask something from you guys. I've got unconditional offer from both University of Manchester and Lancaster University for Msc Management course. I'm stuck on deciding on which to accept.

Which of these is good for:
1. Studies
2. Nightlife
3. Expense
4. Meeting new people (not just from India)
5. Accomodation

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

1. Both have good reputations, though Manchester tends to have an especially strong reputation internationally. In terms of course content, you really need to look at the modules that are on offer at each. This is incredibly important - despite having the same name, you'll find that the two courses are incredibly different.

2. Manchester, hands down. Manchester is a big city with more nightlife than I ever managed to make it around in three years. Lancaster, on the other hand, is a fairly small town with limited nightlife.

3. In terms of living expenses, I don't have much of a feel for Lancaster, but Manchester is pretty good in terms of cost of living. You won't be living in an expensive area of town (unless you really want to live in Didsbury), and there are lots of places to buy cheap food, ranging from Lidl to the Curry Mile (a South Asian shopping street between uni and where most students live).

4. I don't think there's going to be a difference between the two unis at all. In both cases, if you go out and talk to people (flatmates, societies, on your course) you'll find plenty of other people to meet.

5. It depends on what you want from your accommodation. If you want to live in halls, then Manchester will guarantee you a place in halls. They're all of decent quality and well managed, though the decor isn't always exactly lavish. Lancaster will also guarantee you a place in halls, though never having seen them I can't comment on the decor. If you want to go in to a shared house, then it's invariably possible to find a spare room with a group of other students via Manchester Student Homes http://www.manchesterstudenthomes.com/MessageBoard A word of caution, however - never pay any money for / sign a contract for a house that you haven't viewed internally - if you don't, it's a recipe for disaster, both in the form of scams (paying for houses that don't exist) and horrible living conditions (I recently viewed a house where the kitchen ceiling had collapsed... strangely enough I decided not to live there!)

You should also consider whether you want a big city experience where you're in the middle of everything (Manchester) or a smaller, more rural campus experience where you'll be living in a 'student bubble' on a campus ~3 miles from the nearest town (Lancaster)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Thanks for the input. I am still deciding on which to accept. But I'm leaning towards Lancaster University as I have heard good about Lancaster from one of my friend. Also, I want to live a bit away from the city. Lets see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending