The Student Room Group

Mag

Will it be correct to say something like this

- The core will become magnetised (can i know how exactly? coz the diagram seems vague for me... i mean its not so clear to "imagine" it)
- AC produces changing magnetic field lines in the core.
- The flux is being cut by the coil of wire and by Faradays law, an emf will be induced in the coil

I know i m not so accurate in my "physics" here, so I really need someone to explain it to me perfectly please. I'm weak when it comes to magnetic fields :afraid:

Question: magnetic flux.JPG
Original post by Daniel Atieh
Will it be correct to say something like this

- The core will become magnetised (can i know how exactly? coz the diagram seems vague for me... i mean its not so clear to "imagine" it)
- AC produces changing magnetic field lines in the core.
- The flux is being cut by the coil of wire and by Faradays law, an emf will be induced in the coil

I know i m not so accurate in my "physics" here, so I really need someone to explain it to me perfectly please. I'm weak when it comes to magnetic fields :afraid:

Question: magnetic flux.JPG

Yup, that just about covers it.

If you understand how a transformer operates, then the principle for the meter is exactly the same.

The mains cable acts like a single primary turn of a transformer. The core-iron of both act in the same way. The coil of wire around the meter core feeding the voltmeter, perform the same function as the secondary turns around the core of a transformer.

Quick Reply

Latest