The Student Room Group

Questions about insanity?

I've started it a few times and felt like ****, videos took over an hour to complete because I had to keep pausing them :'(
I decided it was better to start small so have been improving general fitness by going swimming a few times a week.
I plan to start it again and stick to it* from the week after next and was wondering what everyone thought of it?

How long did you do it for?
Did you do the diet plan?
And what were your results?
Any tips/hints?

*I only have time to do it for a month. Do you think I can get decent results by then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In what way did you feel like ****? What are you trying to achieve overall?
Original post by BKS
In what way did you feel like ****? What are you trying to achieve overall?

Just felt really unfit because I couldn't keep going and had to take frequent breaks.
I did feel kinda good after them though- pained sense of accomplishment haha!
Overall to lose a bit of weight and tone up. Ideally get a flat stomach for summer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If your goal is fat loose then you just need to move more, you don't need to do a specific thing. If you don't enjoy insanity then don't do it. If you enjoy swimming then do that. If you enjoy something it will be much easier to get yourself to do it and you are a lot more likely to keep doing it long term.

So I'd say forget about insanity, it's just well branded workout video. If you did the equivalent amount of moving doing Cher's step aerobic video then you'd achieve the same results. What insanity does give you is intensity (higher amount of movement in a set amount of time) so in the hr you burn more calories than you would doing Cher's video. But if you find it unpleasant and you are loosing weight without such intensity then what's the point?
Original post by BKS

If you enjoy swimming then do that. If you enjoy something it will be much easier to get yourself to do it and you are a lot more likely to keep doing it long term.

What insanity does give you is intensity (higher amount of movement in a set amount of time) so in the hr you burn more calories than you would doing Cher's video. But if you find it unpleasant and you are loosing weight without such intensity then what's the point?

I will keep up swimming but like you said it won't burn as much in the same amount of time and I really want to lose it and tone in about a month.

I haven't actually been losing any weight otherwise but im not gaining any either so I know I need to up the activity. If it was worth it, its something I would be willing to put up with for a short time even if I didn't like it to just get to a certain goal and then I would be able to maintain it from there.

I'm not sure if I'm making much sense...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Siriuslyserious
I will keep up swimming but like you said it won't burn as much in the same amount of time and I really want to lose it and tone in about a month.

I haven't actually been losing any weight otherwise but im not gaining any either so I know I need to up the activity. If it was worth it, its something I would be willing to put up with for a short time even if I didn't like it to just get to a certain goal and then I would be able to maintain it from there.

I'm not sure if I'm making much sense...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are properly unfit then building up intensity will take time but there's no reason you couldn't swim at high intensity eventually. Or you can blast swimming down and put up with feeling ****, you could achieve the same intensity as insanity if you choose to.

It's important to have realistic goals or you will be disappointed. 2lb a week would be fast weight lose, 1lb is more likely after some initial lose of water and stuff. I don't know how much fat you have to loose but 4lbs and some water isn't much on anyone who isn't already fairly lean. It's that old thing of if looking good were easy everyone would be jacked. To achieve the body you want is (for most people's goal) a lifestyle change.

To look toned you need muscle, probably more muscle than you think. Most of the insanity before and after shots I've ever seen are of people who have got pretty lean on it but had the muscle already. If previously you were doing the better part of **** all then you won't have much muscle so will also need to build it. Insanity isn't an effective way of gaining muscle, it's only really good for fat lose.

You can increase activity or decrease calories. Exercise is only one half of loosing weight.
I started doing it three times a week which I think is how you should do it. The first few times you do it, you just have to PUSH through it. It's the only way. Hide the controller and stop pausing! Of course you do not have to do all the exercises as fast as the people on there are doing it.
I now do it twice a day, my muscles are really building. My thighs are huge and my stomach is small.
I am purposely eating a lot because I want to keep a layer of fat. I lost the layer of fat a while ago but it looked to masculine (I'm a girl).So yeah really l love my body now, feel fit for prom!
I am also vegan. It is actually pretty easy to get enough protein and fat from being vegan if you look at bodybuilding.com and go on recipes.
It has been proven that if you do the exercises with a friend then you are more likely to improve. I did this and it certainly help, she wasn't as fit as me but I felt like I had to push her and myself and I was doing more to show off! haha
Or go with someone who is fitter than you and push yourself like a competition.
Have a cool bath after exercising to help muscle repair.
Original post by BKS
If you are properly unfit then building up intensity will take time but there's no reason you couldn't swim at high intensity eventually. Or you can blast swimming down and put up with feeling ****, you could achieve the same intensity as insanity if you choose to.

It's important to have realistic goals or you will be disappointed. 2lb a week would be fast weight lose, 1lb is more likely after some initial lose of water and stuff. I don't know how much fat you have to loose but 4lbs and some water isn't much on anyone who isn't already fairly lean. It's that old thing of if looking good were easy everyone would be jacked. To achieve the body you want is (for most people's goal) a lifestyle change.

To look toned you need muscle, probably more muscle than you think. Most of the insanity before and after shots I've ever seen are of people who have got pretty lean on it but had the muscle already. If previously you were doing the better part of **** all then you won't have much muscle so will also need to build it. Insanity isn't an effective way of gaining muscle, it's only really good for fat lose.

You can increase activity or decrease calories. Exercise is only one half of loosing weight.

Swimming with the intensity of insanity would definitely not go down well at my pool. Also, I don't think I could manage it for long. But I am slowly doing more each time I go.

I used to be really active and do sport competitively and I do still have (some) muscle from that, it's just hidden by fat!
I guess I just want to get rid of the fat initially and see from there. I reckon it would make quite a difference if I lost anywhere from, 8-11lbs. So maybe I'll control my diet at the same time. I'm not good at dieting but maybe I'll just cut portion sizes and stop snacking as I have quite a balanced diet already.
Thanks for the input :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thingymajig
I started doing it three times a week which I think is how you should do it. The first few times you do it, you just have to PUSH through it. It's the only way. Hide the controller and stop pausing! Of course you do not have to do all the exercises as fast as the people on there are doing it.
I now do it twice a day, my muscles are really building. My thighs are huge and my stomach is small.
I am purposely eating a lot because I want to keep a layer of fat. I lost the layer of fat a while ago but it looked to masculine (I'm a girl).So yeah really l love my body now, feel fit for prom!
I am also vegan. It is actually pretty easy to get enough protein and fat from being vegan if you look at bodybuilding.com and go on recipes.
It has been proven that if you do the exercises with a friend then you are more likely to improve. I did this and it certainly help, she wasn't as fit as me but I felt like I had to push her and myself and I was doing more to show off! haha
Or go with someone who is fitter than you and push yourself like a competition.
Have a cool bath after exercising to help muscle repair.

Good for you! I want to feel fit for summer so I think what you did will probably be best for me, I'll start with a few a week the increase it.
That's such a good idea about hiding the remote! I'll give it a go :wink:

I might cut portion sizes because I do want to lose my layer of fat, but I will check out the recipes out there.
I actually have a friend who has been talking about it so I'll try to get her involved too!
Also how long did it take you to start noticing any differences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I wouldn't focus on loosing weight and eating less. Although it maybe necessary, any weight loss should be slow!
You will need to eat more when on insanity or exercise really but your body will change the fat into muscle.
I never, ever weighed myself, I think it is something to get too absorbed in. I just focus on the feeling on happiness and pride and I have completed the workout. Really smile and congratulate yourself and your friend when you have finished, feels amazing.
And yeah bodybuilding.com has some amazing recipes, you can get some really nice recipes and it made me discover food more - which is why I also became vegan. I take care in what I eat but I have also discovered so much that I never knew I liked! I thought being a vegan would be boring haha but things like Asian Style Mushroom and Bean Stir Fries keep you going!
So yeah to get rid of fat just find healthy alternatives for the unhealthy things in your diet. Don't cut anything out, don't do anything physco like eating 50 bananas a day aha. Soon you will see your fat turn into muscle!
If you are going to weigh yourself, I like to weigh myself before and after taking a **** just for the funnies. Once it weighed a quarter of a stone!!!
Good luck! xxxx
Well I wouldn't focus on loosing weight and eating less. Although it maybe necessary, any weight loss should be slow!
You will need to eat more when on insanity or exercise really but your body will change the fat into muscle.
I never, ever weighed myself, I think it is something to get too absorbed in. I just focus on the feeling on happiness and pride and I have completed the workout. Really smile and congratulate yourself and your friend when you have finished, feels amazing.
And yeah bodybuilding.com has some amazing recipes, you can get some really nice recipes and it made me discover food more - which is why I also became vegan. I take care in what I eat but I have also discovered so much that I never knew I liked! I thought being a vegan would be boring haha but things like Asian Style Mushroom and Bean Stir Fries keep you going!
So yeah to get rid of fat just find healthy alternatives for the unhealthy things in your diet. Don't cut anything out, don't do anything physco like eating 50 bananas a day aha. Soon you will see your fat turn into muscle!
If you are going to weigh yourself, I like to weigh myself before and after taking a **** just for the funnies. Once it weighed a quarter of a stone!!!
Good luck! xxxx

Don't worry I'm not going to go crazy on weight loss! Crazy diets and fads really gross me out.. I have a friend who used to drink raw egs.. *shudders*
It's more the extra fat than the actual weight of it for me. I'm only thinking of cutting the amount I eat because I eat A LOT and a lot of it is just because of bad habits like eating when I'm bored! :colondollar:

That actually sounds really nice! Id say im like 90% veggie anyway so part way there! :wink: Hmm... A healthy alternative to chocolate? Hard..
Omg, lol the **** thing... Ngl, I've done that before >.<
I'm kind of excited about getting started now :biggrin:
Thanks!! xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
The raw egg thing is gross! :eek:
Arghhh imagine the slimy texture and burst when the yolk opens :eek:
I am not shunning meat eating in any way, it's a great source of protein. But becoming less dependent on meat makes you discover new foods.:cool:

But GOOD LUCK with your fitness!!! :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Set small goals and how you are going to reach them. It really helped me to write what I was going to do. I wrote something like: I want to get more toned because it will look better and get me more healthier. I will do this by exercising for 40 minutes a day at 4 o clock for 5 days a week. I will eat healthily by eating healthier foods such as....
Do this instead of saying ''oh I want to get fit''. :wink:

And hahaha the **** thing, glad I'm not the only one! You make me laugh xox I find odd ways to amuse myself :colone: :colondollar: :wink:
Insanity is one of the few infomercial fitness fads that is marketed towards people who are already quite fit. If this doesn't describe you, do something less intense and build up to it.
The raw egg thing is gross! :eek:
Arghhh imagine the slimy texture and burst when the yolk opens :eek:

Ahhhhh! *shivers violently*
It makes me feel so sick..
But yeah I notice when I eat less meat I find more new foods to try :cool:

And THANKS!
Oh I'm great at making lists and writing things down; because then I'm not doing the things! :colondollar:
I will try that out properly though, seems much more motivating

Oh trust me you're not the only one.. :wink:
And I'm like that too! :smile:
Odd amusement ftw! :biggrin: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SEHughes
Insanity is one of the few infomercial fitness fads that is marketed towards people who are already quite fit. If this doesn't describe you, do something less intense and build up to it.

Depends on your definition of "quite fit" :colondollar:
I mean I'm healthy weight and I'm often reasonably active. I just don't always have time to be/ am too lazy to make time. I think its probably more about actually just not stopping and getting into a routine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.t-nation.com/training/p90x-and-muscle-confusion-the-truth

Applies to insanity too. Can't say I disagree with much in the article.

Insanity is full of pushing exercises too. How is that healthy

Sent from my HTC One
Original post by silent ninja
http://www.t-nation.com/training/p90x-and-muscle-confusion-the-truth

Applies to insanity too. Can't say I disagree with much in the article.

Insanity is full of pushing exercises too. How is that healthy

Sent from my HTC One

Have to say I disagree with you here. Maybe I'm getting the point of the article a little confused but I don't really see how weight training would be a better alternative to what insanity is. Which is essentially cardio. To lose body fat, you need to basically burn more calories than you eat right?
Which is basically what insanity is doing; burning a large amount of calories in a short time. Weight training would be to build muscle no?
No point building muscle if you're not getting rid of the fat first. You need cardio. And I do think weight training isn't just something people should do without proper instruction either. IMO it's much riskier than high intensity cardio....
Anyway as I said, maybe I misread it but thanks for the warning
Original post by Siriuslyserious
Have to say I disagree with you here. Maybe I'm getting the point of the article a little confused but I don't really see how weight training would be a better alternative to what insanity is. Which is essentially cardio. To lose body fat, you need to basically burn more calories than you eat right?
Which is basically what insanity is doing; burning a large amount of calories in a short time. Weight training would be to build muscle no?
No point building muscle if you're not getting rid of the fat first. You need cardio. And I do think weight training isn't just something people should do without proper instruction either. IMO it's much riskier than high intensity cardio....
Anyway as I said, maybe I misread it but thanks for the warning

Insanity is aimed at getting the "beach body" which can be achieved much more easily and with less effort via basic weight lifting and a roughly calorie controlled diet. Cardio is good for cardiovascular health, but is not necessary to lose weight. Just eat better and save yourself hours of cardio. Better yet, do a sport so you're actually enjoying yourself.

Insanity has terrible instruction and the routine is mediocre. Doing basic weights is easy to learn and execute. Just because a routine tires you out it doesn't mean it's effective. What makes you think insanity is good. I'm genuinely interested in what you believe is great about it?

No you don't need to lose fat before building muscle. A small deficit and continue lifting and the fat will fall off whilst you build muscle.

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 9 years ago)
Good luck! xxxx

u wot m8
Original post by silent ninja
Insanity is aimed at getting the "beach body" which can be achieved much more easily and with less effort via basic weight lifting and a roughly calorie controlled diet. Cardio is good for cardiovascular health, but is not necessary to lose weight. Just eat better and save yourself hours of cardio. Better yet, do a sport so you're actually enjoying yourself.

Insanity has terrible instruction and the routine is mediocre. Doing basic weights is easy to learn and execute. Just because a routine tires you out it doesn't mean it's effective. What makes you think insanity is good. I'm genuinely interested in what you believe is great about it?

No you don't need to lose fat before building muscle. A small deficit and continue lifting and the fat will fall off whilst you build muscle.

Sent from my HTC One

Agreed, there are probably easier ways but would they really work over the same short time frame?
And yeah swimming is something I enjoy but its more time consuming and its not as convenient as insanity would be for obvious reasons.

I'm still unsure as to how weight training would help lose say belly fat; maybe I'm missing something but surely it just strengthens the areas you lift with.
(I know you can't really choose where you lose fat but still...)

I can't really comment yet as I haven't done it properly but I have friends who have and got good results from it. Also my gymnastics coach said it was a really good workout and yes I know she's not a fitness coach but I respect her opinion.

I'm trying not to be defensive of something I haven't actually done but I just really didn't get how weights would be a better option. It looks good to me personally because there are loads of different videos; and it would get me active enough to burn the calories and I like the idea the vids are under an hr. Also I'm not keen on going to a gym yet.
Also, lifting... Not massively female friendly right?
But men maybe I'm just being ignorant.

Quick Reply

Latest