The Student Room Group

Questions about clearing

Long story short:
I joined university in 2011 and after a few personal issues (health, not depression/anxiety) I am just about to finish 2nd year of my Mathematics course. However, I have lost interest in the course now and wish to pursue something in Accounting, Business or Finance. Transferring within the university is 95% not available based on discussions I have had with several staff members so I think finding a new university is my best option.

So basically I am a bit of dumbo when it comes to clearings, although I think I have some time to spare but I have a few questions.

-When do clearings open up?
-Where can I find a list of course vacancies?
-Is it best to directly contact potential universities now?
-Basically what should I be doing now?

I attained 120 credits for Year 1 and have 45 for Year 2 but I think my preferred option is to go back into Year 1 and just have a complete fresh start. I haven't yet received my results for my 2nd semester exams but I don't imagine they would have gone well. Resits are in August but I don't suppose there is any point hanging around?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Cheers.
Original post by Guest1874
Long story short:
I joined university in 2011 and after a few personal issues (health, not depression/anxiety) I am just about to finish 2nd year of my Mathematics course. However, I have lost interest in the course now and wish to pursue something in Accounting, Business or Finance. Transferring within the university is 95% not available based on discussions I have had with several staff members so I think finding a new university is my best option.

So basically I am a bit of dumbo when it comes to clearings, although I think I have some time to spare but I have a few questions.

-When do clearings open up?
-Where can I find a list of course vacancies?
-Is it best to directly contact potential universities now?
-Basically what should I be doing now?

I attained 120 credits for Year 1 and have 45 for Year 2 but I think my preferred option is to go back into Year 1 and just have a complete fresh start. I haven't yet received my results for my 2nd semester exams but I don't imagine they would have gone well. Resits are in August but I don't suppose there is any point hanging around?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Cheers.

To go to another university next year you need to register with UCAS and apply in the normal way like you did first time round, UCAS will show you available courses. Equal consideration deadline already passed, so you won't have 'much' of a choice with regards to 'prestigious' places.

However, bare in mind that you will have to self-fund your first year. You only have two years worth of funding left, and you can't apply for CPR for completed years.

Other option is to go part -time where you'll get tuition loan, but no maintenance loans. But you'll receive tuition for the full length of a part time degree, as previous full time study doesn't count for part time funding.
Reply 2
@Knalchemist

Appreciate the quick response,

Money is not an issue. I am very willing to self-fund my new degree.

Additional information: Scottish student. Never had a student loan etc.
Reply 3
Bump.
Reply 4
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending