The Student Room Group

edexcel english literature

just got my A level results - i'm pleased but slightly oblivious as to why i got so low in one of my units!
i got an A for the first two units, and an E for the unit marked out of 120.
i couldn't really care less right now, because i got into uni..but i felt it stopped me getting an A grade overall, so i ended up with a B.
did anyone else receive any wierd results for this unit? & do you think remarking it would make a difference?
:smile:
Reply 1
it probably will make a difference.

if you're a grade a/b student as your offer/module results suggest, an e is quite weird. also, it depends on if you think it went that badly.
Reply 2
I did Edexcel eng lit and got *exactly* those grades! I was pleased but a bit puzzled, as I didn't think I had done that badly in module 6 and I ended up with 48/120= an E! Whereas for units 4&5 I got high A's! Spooky!
Reply 3
that happened to me, but with AQA. I got Two full mark As in the other units and then a D for the synoptic.
Reply 4
Hmm I have something similar but not to your extremes. 115/120 for unit 1 and then 59/90 for unit 2 which is still a 30% difference but my grades at school and mocks were the reverse...cs for unit 1 and as for unit 2...I'm not sure whether the difference is big enough to merit a remark or just a resit though.
fairygirl21
just got my A level results - i'm pleased but slightly oblivious as to why i got so low in one of my units!
i got an A for the first two units, and an E for the unit marked out of 120.
i couldn't really care less right now, because i got into uni..but i felt it stopped me getting an A grade overall, so i ended up with a B.
did anyone else receive any wierd results for this unit? & do you think remarking it would make a difference?
:smile:

it seems like a very similar pattern is evident in all candidates (at my college anyway) - maybe edexcel have wanted to make the unit 6 one harder and so altered the grade boundaries! booooooooooo!!!
Um... My friends who took A-levels last year had a problem like this (they both got Ds or Es) but I got 120/120. I couldn't tell you how - my other marks weren't as good. One of my friends just accepted it while the other got his synoptic paper remarked, but he ended up with a lower mark than before. Oops!
I got lower marks than usual overall for my A2 English but because in my AS retake I got 120/120 that really saved me! I think it was really mixed this year from what I've heard
Reply 8
yeah, two of my best friends got 120/120 for the synoptic paper & i ended up with a measly 54/120 or something like that. grr. i'm getting it remarked though, as i felt it was the best exam paper in English i ever did!?!
Reply 9
fairygirl21
yeah, two of my best friends got 120/120 for the synoptic paper & i ended up with a measly 54/120 or something like that. grr. i'm getting it remarked though, as i felt it was the best exam paper in English i ever did!?!

I know!! Unit 6 felt so good. I felt crap after Unit 1 to 5 but 6 just felt right. Everything fell into place. My Nonsense/Philosophy drive was in full spin.
And it ends up being my worst unit. a C, from AAA,AB. haha. But no worries.
I thought the two easiest units for Edexcel were 1 and 6.. got 120/120 and 110/120 respectively
Reply 11
I've just taken edexcell lit AS and got AAC - screwed up the Emma paper! This means either a remark (i'm 7 points off) or re-studying Emma - what could be worse!
Reply 12
hey guys. i got ABD for AS english literature, and i'm kinda bewildered as to why my ENG.LIT.1 was so bad! is this coursework unit or one of the exams?
thanks
Reply 13
cfcbradders
hey guys. i got ABD for AS english literature, and i'm kinda bewildered as to why my ENG.LIT.1 was so bad! is this coursework unit or one of the exams?
thanks

If you're with edexcel:

Unit 1 = Poetry and Drama (6391) /120
Unit 2 = Your novel (6392) /90
Unit 3 = Your coursework (6393) /90
Reply 14
I got a AAB with the Edexcel paper but was four marks away from a "real" A. :frown:
I was 4 marks off an A at A-level, which was rather annoying :mad: but I actually did slightly better at A2 than AS, which I was really pleased with. The exams were the opposite to what I was expecting though. I found unit 5 awful, so I was absolutely gobsmacked that I got a low A in it!! :eek: But on the other hand, I thought the synoptic was OK and got a high C :confused: Strange! I wish it had been the other way around because the synoptic is worth more, so that would have given me an A, but oh well.

Latest