The Student Room Group

Came out to my Mum today.... :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Musie Suzie
Sorry, what are the last two letters for? Queer and something, maybe? Does "queer" mean something other than just gay now?

Also, very glad to hear that you are happy within yourself now, and hopefully when your mum has had time for what you told her to sink in, and seen that you are happy, she'll be accepting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I may be very wrong, but I believe Q refers to gender-queer, and I is possibly intersex. Some people also add an A for asexual.
Luke! Haven't spoke to you in ages . Hope you're okay :hugs:
Original post by Rainbow Student
So for anyone that knows me, I'm Luke the panny tranny of TSR, (so I like to think lol), and I came out to my mum today via a detailed note by the kettle. After asking if she'd had a cup of tea already, this response ensued, when we walked back home:

"Mum: Yes, I found your note, if that's what you're asking me -_-

Luke, me: Oh, alright ._.

M: Next time, don't skirt around it, just ask me if I found it >-<

L: I wasn't skirting, I only asked one thing, if I skirted I would have randomly said more *thinks to myself "to beat around the bush and all"* :/

M: Well what do you expect? I'm not going to be all like "Yay!" am I? >-<

L: Well sorry, I knew you wouldn't respond all happily and perfectly, hence why I wrote the note o.o

M: Well you don't just go from being bisexual to suddenly wanting to be a boy! :angry:

L: Well it's not really sudden is it? :mad: And sexuality and gender have nothing to do with each other! :frown:

M: Well you don't do you? Now leave it. -_-

L: *mutters to myself inaudibly* Whatever then :/"

I've felt this way for years and planned it really well over the past few weeks, and this is what happens. I feel really down. :frown:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Meh. :'( So wtf happens now? :/

Look it aint easy...everyone can see that..even the haters..

but youll get thru it...youve taken the first big step..

shell come through eventually

I support yeh kid..and with the world become more and more liberal and open more and more others will too

I got your back and clearly do many other tsrians out there too

with regard to dealing with the initial trauma why not give music a wee spin
Original post by Mankytoes
Sorry, I'm being a bit pedantic but I'm too geeky to let this go- they do correlate, correlation means with condition a, condition b is more likely. If you identify as male, you're more likely to be sexually attracted to women, that's correlation. What you mean is they don't necessarily conform to the most common standard.

OK Mr. Picky Pants, what I technically said to my mum was that sexuality and gender are two different things. Happy? Geek. :tongue:
Original post by Musie Suzie
Sorry, what are the last two letters for? Queer and something, maybe? Does "queer" mean something other than just gay now?

Also, very glad to hear that you are happy within yourself now, and hopefully when your mum has had time for what you told her to sink in, and seen that you are happy, she'll be accepting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

LGBTQI= Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Questioning and Intersex

And thank you. :3 I hope you're right. :smile:
Original post by Lotus_Eater
The OP shouldn't underestimate how radical news like this can sound. "Sexuality and gender have nothing to do with each other" is not a statement that's widely accepted - especially amongst older generations. You should continue to play this patiently and discreetly.

When people have children they often have a very clear idea of what the family's future is going to involve - you've just told your mother that some of her most fundamental ideas and dreams about her own child are upside down. You've known this all your life, she's known it for about five minutes: give her some time and let her have her own complicated reaction. If you try and force an unrealistically accepting response immediately you risk making a permanent rift.

This isn't meant to discourage the OP but some of the advice that he's been given along the lines of "all mum's love their children unconditionally" is tremendously irresponsible and reckless - this is a situation that has to be handled very delicately, with the knowledge that everyone involved is coming to terms with some very complicated ideas. If the OP can keep calm, answer questions honestly, and be patient then that's much more likely to result in a positive parental relationship in the long-term.

I've never read such profound and mature words that make so much sense in my whole life. Thank you so much, I will start taking your advice on board immediately. :ta: :hugs:
Original post by syrettd
I may be very wrong, but I believe Q refers to gender-queer, and I is possibly intersex. Some people also add an A for asexual.

Q might be Queer in some circumstances but I've always known it as Questioning, and in the context of what I said, it meant Questioning. But the rest is right. :smile:
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Luke! Haven't spoke to you in ages . Hope you're okay :hugs:

Indeed! Hi! :hello: I'm OK ty. :hugs:
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Look it aint easy...everyone can see that..even the haters..

but youll get thru it...youve taken the first big step..

shell come through eventually

I support yeh kid..and with the world become more and more liberal and open more and more others will too

I got your back and clearly do many other tsrians out there too

with regard to dealing with the initial trauma why not give music a wee spin

Thank you! And why not. :smile:
There is nothing wrong with being who you are! I just wish people would finally see that. We are all unique, whether we are straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transsexual. It isn't our sexuality what makes us who we are. It's our personalities. Some people are ok (like me) with this sort of thing but, unfortunately, others are not so welcoming to the idea. It may have come as a bit of a shock but, she'll come round. Trust me! :biggrin: x
Original post by Rainbow Student
So for anyone that knows me, I'm Luke the panny tranny of TSR, (so I like to think lol), and I came out to my mum today via a detailed note by the kettle. After asking if she'd had a cup of tea already, this response ensued, when we walked back home:

"Mum: Yes, I found your note, if that's what you're asking me -_-

Luke, me: Oh, alright ._.

M: Next time, don't skirt around it, just ask me if I found it >-<

L: I wasn't skirting, I only asked one thing, if I skirted I would have randomly said more *thinks to myself "to beat around the bush and all"* :/

M: Well what do you expect? I'm not going to be all like "Yay!" am I? >-<

L: Well sorry, I knew you wouldn't respond all happily and perfectly, hence why I wrote the note o.o

M: Well you don't just go from being bisexual to suddenly wanting to be a boy! :angry:

L: Well it's not really sudden is it? :mad: And sexuality and gender have nothing to do with each other! :frown:

M: Well you don't do you? Now leave it. -_-

L: *mutters to myself inaudibly* Whatever then :/"

I've felt this way for years and planned it really well over the past few weeks, and this is what happens. I feel really down. :frown:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Meh. :'( So wtf happens now? :/

Hey :smile:

Firstly, I'm really sorry for your mum's reaction and equally as sorry for the situation you are in. I understand it must be horrible to be something you physically aren't and in the world we are in it is a horrible situation to be in where there are so many people who don't understand it. It isn't a choice, it is just who you are.

I'm sure your mum will come round, you are her child after all, it just might take a while to get used to it. From your perspective it is who you are. From her's it is her "daughter" suddenly not being her daughter...even though you are exactly the same person. I really hope she sees sense.

What you need to remember is that there are always people who will be there for you and see you for who you are and not care if you are a boy or a girl. You are just you and that is all that counts. You just need to stay strong which is hard I know but I'm sure your mum will understand with time.

I hope this helped a little bit. Basically just know that there will always be someone who cares and someone who will listen to you. Letting it all out can really help :smile:

P.S. Saw you are a frozen fan... great choice :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Munrot07
Hey :smile:

Firstly, I'm really sorry for your mum's reaction and equally as sorry for the situation you are in. I understand it must be horrible to be something you physically aren't and in the world we are in it is a horrible situation to be in where there are so many people who don't understand it. It isn't a choice, it is just who you are.

I'm sure your mum will come round, you are her child after all, it just might take a while to get used to it. From your perspective it is who you are. From her's it is her "daughter" suddenly not being her daughter...even though you are exactly the same person. I really hope she sees sense.

What you need to remember is that there are always people who will be there for you and see you for who you are and not care if you are a boy or a girl. You are just you and that is all that counts. You just need to stay strong which is hard I know but I'm sure your mum will understand with time.

I hope this helped a little bit. Basically just know that there will always be someone who cares and someone who will listen to you. Letting it all out can really help :smile:

P.S. Saw you are a frozen fan... great choice :P

Thank you so much. :3 :ta:

And yay Frozen! :snow: :smile:
Don't worry about it. Mothers are often one of the most important people in our lives and a good, decent mother would feel the same about her children. I'm sure your mother loves you and with time, even if she hesitates, she will eventually accept you with her heart.
Original post by Lollililypop
There is nothing wrong with being who you are! I just wish people would finally see that. We are all unique, whether we are straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transsexual. It isn't our sexuality what makes us who we are. It's our personalities. Some people are ok (like me) with this sort of thing but, unfortunately, others are not so welcoming to the idea. It may have come as a bit of a shock but, she'll come round. Trust me! :biggrin: x

Thank you x :smile:
Original post by missfrivolous
Don't worry about it. Mothers are often one of the most important people in our lives and a good, decent mother would feel the same about her children. I'm sure your mother loves you and with time, even if she hesitates, she will eventually accept you with her heart.

I hope you're right! Thank you. x :smile:
Mentally a boy, yet you average 5 emoticons a post? I'm skeptical.
Reply 56
I don't know you but I think that took real guts, hope things go ok if you tell others :smile:
Just see how things pan out, I'm sure she'll come around, it's just a shock.

Excuse the pun. Didn't mean it but I'm sticking with it :tongue:
Original post by TenMileTie
Mentally a boy, yet you average 5 emoticons a post? I'm skeptical.

1. I'm Luke, nice to meet you "skeptical". :hello:

2. Counting my emoticons? That's just sad. Unless you're practicing how to average for Maths, then that's cool, good for you! Count on. The smileys are there to be seen. :yy:

3. Maybe I just like emoticons because they express my emotions. Hence why they're called emoticons. And guys have feelings and use smileys too.

4. Now shhh, don't be silly. :wink:

Yes, I am mentally a guy, and identify as a guy. :yes:

PS: Here's your 5th emoticon, just to keep you scientifically satisfied. :tongue:
Original post by Payson38
I don't know you but I think that took real guts, hope things go ok if you tell others :smile:

Aww, thank you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending