The Student Room Group

BTEC in Air Cadet

You see, I want to join the RAF to become a pilot (My fitness and health requirement is perfect, fortunately). But should I take BTEC in Aviation Studies and Public Service (equal to 6 GCSEs, the 2 of them), would this help me to reach my one and only dream career?For GCSE, I would take English Language, Literature, Maths, RS, Physic, Chemistry, Geography, History and PE. And A-Level it would be Physic and Maths. It would be great help, thanks you!
Original post by AviationIsMyLife
You see, I want to join the RAF to become a pilot (My fitness and health requirement is perfect, fortunately). But should I take BTEC in Aviation Studies and Public Service (equal to 6 GCSEs, the 2 of them), would this help me to reach my one and only dream career?For GCSE, I would take English Language, Literature, Maths, RS, Physic, Chemistry, Geography, History and PE. And A-Level it would be Physic and Maths. It would be great help, thanks you!

Hi AviationIsMyLife,

If you want to join the RAF as a pilot you'll need A Levels at the very least and ideally a degree too. I am not familiar with the different types of BTEC, but the RAF is kind enough to provide a table with the lists of quals and whether they are acceptable or not. Your BTEC needs to read 'yes' in the far right column!

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/mura-raf-careers/assets/File/Ed%20Qual%20SS%202013%20update-1.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by AviationIsMyLife

The Aviation Studies BTEC is nice to have as an 'extra thing' (I have it myself from my time in the ATC) but beyond being something else on the list of qualifications it's really in no way useful. It serves as an additional GCSE, but no more than that.

And remember, anyone else who was an Air Cadet will have it, too.

It's not your qualifications that will set you apart from other candidates as everyone will have broadly the same. It's you as a person that makes you a candidate.
Reply 3
Also, the Air Cadet Organistaion isn't currently awarding BTEC's. I'm not entirely sure why. Although i'd imagine by the time you qualified that would have sorted itself out.

Quick Reply

Latest