The Student Room Group

I'd like some help with learning Polish

Hello. I am a 16 year old, going to sixth form in September, who has been learning Polish (or trying to) since the start of the year. I've been wanting to become fluent in this language for as long as I can remember, but since my dad isn't always around he didn't start teaching me when I was younger.
So far I have managed to self teach the basics along with a few extra phrases on the side with the aid of Polish to English dictionaries and a Berliz language learning pocket guide. I will also involve in a few Polish conversations with my dad. But now I'm starting to get frustrated because I feel like I'm learning too slowly. I regularly listen to songs sung in this language and I've signed up to Busuu (I can't get premium membership though).
I'd like to know what others would advise; help is greatly appreciated!
What other free language learning sites are available? And also what would help speed up my learning?
I'd also like opinions on Google translate. I've been tempted to use that as a learning tool but I don't fully trust it.
All answers will be appreciated. Many thanks:biggrin:
Duolingo is a great app and site for language learning. It's free, but I'm unsure whether Polish is an option so you'll have to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm Polish and have been trying to learn English for 5 years and Spanish for 4 years and the best languages website that I have ever found is wordreference.com because it is very reliable and many words have more than one meaning - this website helps you to figure out which word to use to convey what you want and there are forums where you can ask grammar questions, ask about specific phrases etc
Listening to songs is a very good idea but I would also recommend that you get a grammar workbook with answers and just use it as grammar is essential and quite difficult
Original post by Elli3licious
Hello. I am a 16 year old, going to sixth form in September, who has been learning Polish (or trying to) since the start of the year. I've been wanting to become fluent in this language for as long as I can remember, but since my dad isn't always around he didn't start teaching me when I was younger.
So far I have managed to self teach the basics along with a few extra phrases on the side with the aid of Polish to English dictionaries and a Berliz language learning pocket guide. I will also involve in a few Polish conversations with my dad. But now I'm starting to get frustrated because I feel like I'm learning too slowly. I regularly listen to songs sung in this language and I've signed up to Busuu (I can't get premium membership though).
I'd like to know what others would advise; help is greatly appreciated!
What other free language learning sites are available? And also what would help speed up my learning?
I'd also like opinions on Google translate. I've been tempted to use that as a learning tool but I don't fully trust it.
All answers will be appreciated. Many thanks:biggrin:

Hi i can speak polish...Google translate is not a good website by the way.:smile:
Watch Polish TV shows! I'm bettering my Russian through watching their shows. Very good for learning the language :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending