The Student Room Group

2016 Medicine Applicants

I haven't seen a thread for this, so I thought 'why not make one?'. Discuss anything related to applying to study Medicine at University in 2016.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:five:

Hopeful 2016 applicant here. :smile:
Original post by Askingquestion16
Anyone?

Me!? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
6A* 4A's and 2B's at GCSE.
I'll be applying as a graduate. I'm half way through my degree now.
Wohoo! There are replies :smile: How are your exams going guys? What are you expecting to achieve?

Not too bad thanks :smile: I'm predicted 10 A*, 12 would be nice but realistically no...plus 10 is plenty anyway!? I'd be over the moon with 8 tbh because some of the unis I like atm score the best 8 gcses you get, that would get me maximum marks in that section at least!
What are you studying?

Biomedical Science.
Is this for current Year 11s ? Isn't this a bit early haha :P
Awesome, I'm hoping for 10A*2A :smile: It's just English Literature that is worrying as I have no idea how well it went.

Same here :L the poetry exam went well but I literally can't tell how the prose one went...and my other impossible A* is music which tbh I'm not worried about in the slightest due to some very interesting circumstances surrounding my multiple teachers and the quality of teaching...I put in all the effort I could but still didn't quite get enough marks in the coursework
Original post by kdizzle97
Is this for current Year 11s ? Isn't this a bit early haha :P

Not necessarily. People applying for 2016 entry will start taking the UKCAT around about a year from now. Our UCAS application will need to be in less than a year and a half. Now's the time to be really seriously thinking about getting the ball rolling on work experience and voluntary work etc. Just my thinking. :smile:
I agree. Speaking of which, has anyone got any work experience or voluntary work yet?

I've worked for a few years as and HCA, which is something I did anyway before seriously thinking about applying for Medicine. I've done a couple of voluntary things through my uni (student mentor and student rep) but because they're not necessarily medically related I'm wondering if I should try to get some voluntary work that is more related to medicine.
Original post by ForensicKetchup
Not necessarily. People applying for 2016 entry will start taking the UKCAT around about a year from now. Our UCAS application will need to be in less than a year and a half. Now's the time to be really seriously thinking about getting the ball rolling on work experience and voluntary work etc. Just my thinking. :smile:

I didn't think of it like that :eek: It'll be application time before we know it..
I agree. Speaking of which, has anyone got any work experience or voluntary work yet?

I've been volunteering at a hospice since February. :biggrin:
Good luck guys! Nice to see people who have already started planning on succeeding, do you guys have any idea which A-levels you would choose next year? :smile:
It is a tad early, but it'll be over before you know it! Year 11 flies by.. :eek:
I really want some work exp. but the best I can find so far is at my Gran's little estate for old people xD
Original post by Huda_medo
Good luck guys! Nice to see people who have already started planning on succeeding, do you guys have any idea which A-levels you would choose next year? :smile:
It is a tad early, but it'll be over before you know it! Year 11 flies by.. :eek:

I've chosen Biology, Chemistry, Maths with Stats and Psychology
Reply 16
So glad someone has created this thread! :biggrin:

I'm targeted for 11a* and 2 a's but that is not going to happen haha, i'll be happy with at least 8a*
I'm going to be a hospital welcomer volunteer starting in August (so so so excited, I get a NHS badge and everything)
And for A levels I've chosen Further maths, maths, biology and chemistry, I did my AS chinese last year so hopefully i'll do A2 this year!

Admittedly I am torn between medicine and science, so I'm hoping to get more hospital experience to make sure medicine is the right choice for me :biggrin:
Original post by raachy
So glad someone has created this thread! :biggrin:

I'm targeted for 11a* and 2 a's but that is not going to happen haha, i'll be happy with at least 8a*
I'm going to be a hospital welcomer volunteer starting in August (so so so excited, I get a NHS badge and everything)
And for A levels I've chosen Further maths, maths, biology and chemistry, I did my AS chinese last year so hopefully i'll do A2 this year!

Admittedly I am torn between medicine and science, so I'm hoping to get more hospital experience to make sure medicine is the right choice for me :biggrin:

Wow that's a lot of hard work! How are you even doing 13 GCSE's?! Hahaa, ooohhh, what's a hospital welcomer? Good luck with it anyway. Great choices, I'm doing the same but English Lit instead of FM, considering doing physics though... Not sure. And wow AS Chinese, do you speak the language? I speak Arabic but haven't done any GCSE's/ AS in it but did Creative Writing AS this year, can't finish off the A2 as my new college doesn't offer it :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by Qaiys
Wow that's a lot of hard work! How are you even doing 13 GCSE's?! Hahaa, ooohhh, what's a hospital welcomer? Good luck with it anyway. Great choices, I'm doing the same but English Lit instead of FM, considering doing physics though... Not sure. And wow AS Chinese, do you speak the language? I speak Arabic but haven't done any GCSE's/ AS in it but did Creative Writing AS this year, can't finish off the A2 as my new college doesn't offer it :frown:

I did 3 of my GCSEs early (sort of cheating :tongue:)
A hospital welcomer basically greets the patients as they come in and takes them to the ward that they need to go to or you take the patients to the exit, I chose it because I really wanted to visit all the wards and I thought it would be fun to run around the hospital frantically :biggrin:
Yep I speak fluent (ish) chinese, i'm not too good on writing chinese though....
English literature is good as it's an alternative to the traditional science subjects which UCL medical school like but physics is quite a useful subject and really compliments A level maths....it's a tough one, really depends on what you like and prefer :smile:
Original post by raachy
I did 3 of my GCSEs early (sort of cheating :tongue:)
A hospital welcomer basically greets the patients as they come in and takes them to the ward that they need to go to or you take the patients to the exit, I chose it because I really wanted to visit all the wards and I thought it would be fun to run around the hospital frantically :biggrin:
Yep I speak fluent (ish) chinese, i'm not too good on writing chinese though....
English literature is good as it's an alternative to the traditional science subjects which UCL medical school like but physics is quite a useful subject and really compliments A level maths....it's a tough one, really depends on what you like and prefer :smile:

Ohh ahaa, and ohhh that sounds really interesting! Good luck ,I hope it goes well and you enjoy it, you'll have to post once you start. Yeah I was thinking that choosing English Lit would make a more rounded set of qualifications ans show more skills, plus I really really love it. I'm hoping to go to UCL actually! Hbu?

Quick Reply

Latest