The Student Room Group

2016 Medicine Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MEDIC1998
Hey guys!!!!
I have completely given up hope for any emails from any unis !!!!!😰😰😰
So I was probably planning to study medicine in Poland for the 6 year MD program in English!
Is anyone considering Poland as one of their choices to study medicine ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? It is only November and still got a long way to go. I think it is a bit too early to give up all the hope. You may only need one offer to get into Medical school after all.
Original post by RedNebula
Same here! Best of luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

what were your stats??
How are people preparing for interviews, I don't have a clue and my first one is only a week away!
PLEASE HELP<br />
My interview for Birmingham is on Tuesday and the email said we need a form of ID...I can only find my passport. Does it matter that the picture is quite old (the passport is still in date however) Thanks :smile:

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Original post by tootfruity
PLEASE HELP<br />
My interview for Birmingham is on Tuesday and the email said we need a form of ID...I can only find my passport. Does it matter that the picture is quite old (the passport is still in date however) Thanks :smile:

As long as your passport is valid, the picture shouldn't matter too much! 😊
Anyone know a good way to prep for a panel interview?
I've got an interview at Newcastle on Tuesday and i'm scared ****less, its my first interview so i'm really unsure of how to act and would really appreciate some good tips to make a good first impression!!!
I heard that interviewers can decide who they want within the first 5 mins?!?!? so imma need to work on my interview game
Original post by MEDIC1998
Hey guys!!!!
I have completely given up hope for any emails from any unis !!!!!😰😰😰
So I was probably planning to study medicine in Poland for the 6 year MD program in English!
Is anyone considering Poland as one of their choices to study medicine ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is waaay too soon to give up at this point! I know a number of people have gotten interviews already but it's still early days, and they represent a small fraction of people who have received interviews so far, and if you honestly want it you've just gotta hang in there and stay patient. You should not be worrying unless you haven't heard anything back from your unis from around February/March at the earliest.
Hello, I am currently in Year 11. However, I already know my future plans which consist in applying to Medical School in the UK. They university I am interested in requires taking the BMAT. My entry year would be in 2018, may someone tell me when I should take this exam. By the way, I live in Spain but I go to a British school, therefore, where could I sit the examination? Thank you very much in advance.
Reply 1888
In reply to: Hello, I am currently in Year 11. However, I already know my future plans which consist in applying to Medical School in the UK. They university I am interested in requires taking the BMAT. My entry year would be in 2018, may someone tell me when I should take this exam. By the way, I live in Spain but I go to a British school, therefore, where could I sit the examination? Thank you very much in advance.

I study at a British school in Europe as well and I was able to sit the BMAT at my school. If you contact the exam officer they can tell you if the school is registered to allow you to sit it. Otherwise, they can tell you the nearest place where you can sit it. I don't think you will have to travel to the UK just to sit it :smile:
To everyone who's preparing for interviews can you help me??? I don't understand the governments incentives behind privatising the NHS or the new junior doctor contracts. I get the proposals etc but i don't get why the government want to do this? For example, if they're saying most junior doctors will be paid more than surely that's costing the government more money, so wouldn't they just stick with the current system and save themselves grief and money?!?!?!?!? THANK YOU!
Original post by madmed16
As long as your passport is valid, the picture shouldn't matter too much! 😊

Thanks so much! Would be the worst for it to be rejected! :smile:

Original post by thomaarrss
To everyone who's preparing for interviews can you help me??? I don't understand the governments incentives behind privatising the NHS or the new junior doctor contracts. I get the proposals etc but i don't get why the government want to do this? For example, if they're saying most junior doctors will be paid more than surely that's costing the government more money, so wouldn't they just stick with the current system and save themselves grief and money?!?!?!?!? THANK YOU!

The reason behind privatization is to move to a "market based" healthcare system. Proponents of this would argue that the profit motive and competition between healthcare companies will help improve efficiency and drive down waiting times.

At the moment, junior doctors get paid a basic rate for 60 hours per week (7am - 7pm Mon-Fri) and an overtime rate for anything beyond this. The new proposals are to increase the basic pay rate slightly but also increase the hours from 60 to 90. This is an attempt to move towards the same provision of healthcare on weekends.
I have got an interview at Dundee University on the 15th December and was wondering if anyone had any tips?

I struggled to obtain work experience (even though I applied to gps/care homes 6 months ago) and so since submitting my personal statement, have completed a first aid course, shadowed a GP and began volunteering at a local hospital, do you think I should try and mention these extra things I have done at interview? and how would I do this?

What's more, I applied to Edinburgh and since they don't interview and my personal statement has been submitted, is there any way at all to mention my extra work experience as I only had community work experience beforehand?

Do you know if anyone has received invitation to interview from Glasgow or Aberdeen? if not, do you have any idea when they would begin sending out invitations to interview?

Thanks,

Megan :smile:
Reply 1893
Original post by elena_is_blonde
I have got an interview at Dundee University on the 15th December and was wondering if anyone had any tips?

I struggled to obtain work experience (even though I applied to gps/care homes 6 months ago) and so since submitting my personal statement, have completed a first aid course, shadowed a GP and began volunteering at a local hospital, do you think I should try and mention these extra things I have done at interview? and how would I do this?

What's more, I applied to Edinburgh and since they don't interview and my personal statement has been submitted, is there any way at all to mention my extra work experience as I only had community work experience beforehand?

Do you know if anyone has received invitation to interview from Glasgow or Aberdeen? if not, do you have any idea when they would begin sending out invitations to interview?

Thanks,

Glasgow have started sending invites, I believe there's 3 more interview dates left for them to send off
Original post by Ekno
Glasgow have started sending invites, I believe there's 3 more interview dates left for them to send off

When did glasgow start sending out invites?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1895
Original post by heloo123
When did glasgow start sending out invites?

Posted from TSR Mobile

this thursday/friday just gone
Original post by elena_is_blonde

Thanks,

Hey!

Well done on obtaining an interview from Dundee! Best tip for Dundee - be yourself! They really do just want to know if you're a nice person and a naturally good communicator, hence why there's so much role play!

With regards to mentioning about your first aid course, work experience and volunteering, definitely do! They will ask you questions about different qualities, and you can use your experiences from these to show that you understand a doctor has these, but that you also do. The only thing I would be careful of, is if they ask you "how did your work experience confirm that you wanted to do medicine?". Although it's fantastic that you have managed to get some, this was after you applied and therefore the work experience didn't really help you decide if you wanted to do medicine or not, which is what it's really for. So definitely mention that you've done it, but I would be careful when you talk about the experience impacting your choice of medicine. Does that make sense?

In terms of your application to Edinburgh, unfortunately (I am almost certain) that they do not look at "additional submissions", unless you have been advised to do so by the University. But they will see that you have tried to gain experience, and as long as you have utilised that in a positive way, all should be fine!

Both Glasgow and Aberdeen have started to send out interviews. As the person above has said, Glasgow have a few more days to send out, as do Aberdeen!

Best of luck (and sorry for the essay)! 😁
Hey @madmed16,

Thanks for getting back to me!

Yeah it does make complete sense that work experience you've not done yet made you apply, I was going to talk about the community work etc. for that question.

Yeah that's what i thought for edinburgh :s-smilie: i asked the person who wrote my reference to say it so i hope she did haha.

Hopefully I'll hear something back soon then!
Thank you again,
Original post by Ekno
dont think we'll hear from Manc until december

I heard from Manchester last week on Thursday. My interview is in January
Reply 1899
Original post by KappaDan
I heard from Manchester last week on Thursday. My interview is in January

well done! yeah im surprised they sent them off so early

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending