The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ali_elfaki
I want to do Korean too but the requirements say an lang at A level is preffered and when I called and asked they told me that it's true, they need confromation that you are able to commit to learning a language. :frown::frown::frown:
(I told them english wasn't my first language but apparently that wasn't enough)

but for the lang entitlement programme you don't need qualifications, my only problem is that it's probably not as intense as the BA Korean.

Don't worry about that at all! I'm a soon-to-be third year on the BA Korean course, and other than a very, very, very old D-standard grade in high school German, I had no formal language qualifications at all, and I'm not the only one in my year with such a background. What they are looking for is, as they told you, proof that you are willing to commit to learning a language, which does require a lot of dedication. They don't necessarily mean formal qualifications, although it would obviously be beneficial. You can show them in your personal statement: mention if you're self-teaching basics, if you like Korean lit or films, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by A97K
I was at the taster day too yesterday, did you the Korean taster session? Are you hoping to do it as a single or dual honours?

I didn't do the Korean one because I study Korean myself at home so I thought a basic intro to the language would be a waste >< but it would have been nice to be exposed to the Korean teaching at soas. Did you enjoy it? I did Japanese then Chinese (I wanted to try these out instead bc I'm looking at these languages at other unis) then the chinese cultural thing and Arabic :smile:
Original post by A97K
I was at the taster day for Korean and they didn't actually put that much emphasis on having a language at A Level. I don't and they still accepted me as being suitable to go to the taster day. Have you got a gcse in any languages even a gcse in English language? They said as long as you can show you are passionate about the subject and are the type of student that they want then I don't think not having an A Level in a language is too looked down upon.

Yeah I took Spanish and French at GSCE, just didn't get the best grades though. I'm still torn about applying to do Korean and a single or joint honours. I really wouldn't mind taking Lingustics aswell and I know you can combine the courses.... hmmmm
decisions, decisions...

Thank you everyone one for your help. How was the open day guys? I missed it 'cause I'm fasting and it does not do well to travel with an empty stomach. Learnt that the hard way.
Original post by ali_elfaki
Yeah I took Spanish and French at GSCE, just didn't get the best grades though. I'm still torn about applying to do Korean and a single or joint honours. I really wouldn't mind taking Lingustics aswell and I know you can combine the courses.... hmmmm
decisions, decisions...

Thank you everyone one for your help. How was the open day guys? I missed it 'cause I'm fasting and it does not do well to travel with an empty stomach. Learnt that the hard way.

It's a shame you couldn't go! I think it was quite useful, though the language tasters seemed a bit rushed really or very short at least (only 45 mins), but only because of the busy schedule. I think it was particularly helpful for me personally bc I wanted to see the uni again, having gone to the open day but then since having gone to other open days and needing an opportunity to compare again. It solidified SOAS as my top choice~ It was good to meet like-minded people too actually, like people interested in the same courses ^^
The Exploring Linguistics talk was actually really interesting, and it opened my eyes to the subject because I had never even explored it before. I think combining Korean with Linguistics would be really interesting if you're considering it :smile:
Original post by kawaiibeans
It's a shame you couldn't go! I think it was quite useful, though the language tasters seemed a bit rushed really or very short at least (only 45 mins), but only because of the busy schedule. I think it was particularly helpful for me personally bc I wanted to see the uni again, having gone to the open day but then since having gone to other open days and needing an opportunity to compare again. It solidified SOAS as my top choice~ It was good to meet like-minded people too actually, like people interested in the same courses ^^
The Exploring Linguistics talk was actually really interesting, and it opened my eyes to the subject because I had never even explored it before. I think combining Korean with Linguistics would be really interesting if you're considering it :smile:

Definitely considering it. SOAS is my first choice too, everything from the courses, to the atmosphere, to the location just seems perfect and right for me. Hopefully I'll get to go the next open day!

Hey, imagine if we end up studying Korean together in 2015! Haha, heads up: my name is Lena :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by kawaiibeans
I didn't do the Korean one because I study Korean myself at home so I thought a basic intro to the language would be a waste >< but it would have been nice to be exposed to the Korean teaching at soas. Did you enjoy it? I did Japanese then Chinese (I wanted to try these out instead bc I'm looking at these languages at other unis) then the chinese cultural thing and Arabic :smile:

Yeah it did feel a bit like that because I knew everything she was saying about the alphabet but the professor teaching was was so lovely and it was nice I suppose to how the teaching of Korean was done. I really enjoyed it and the whole day actually. How did you find the Japanese because I really wanted to go to that taster but my friend wanted to do Chinese so I did that instead. What other universities are you looking for them? Did you do the calligraphy then?
Reply 26
Have any of you been to the open days? I've been to 2 taster days but would still really love to go an open day, was just wondering if those who I know went to the language and cultures taster day have gone as well? Thank you :smile:
Reply 27
Applied for postgraduate development economics for sep 2015...hopefully I get it as I have quite a lot of background experience and wrote a good personal statement
Reply 28
Original post by A97K
I was at the taster day for Korean and they didn't actually put that much emphasis on having a language at A Level. I don't and they still accepted me as being suitable to go to the taster day. Have you got a gcse in any languages even a gcse in English language? They said as long as you can show you are passionate about the subject and are the type of student that they want then I don't think not having an A Level in a language is too looked down upon.

probably because not many non native people speak korean...btw 化妆室 huazhuangshi means bathroom in korean...I'm chinese (I know these things as lots of korean people live in my part of china)
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm hoping to do Korean and English. SOAS is my first choice. I went to the open day there and loved it.
Hi all, I'm going to apply for one or maybe two of persian, persian and linguistics, persian and french or persian and arabic. Anyone else thinking of them?
Reply 31
GOT THE OFFER FOR MSC DEVELOPMENT ECONOMICS!!!...Now considering whether to live private or in paul robeson
I want to do Chinese and Japanese studies, I really need to visit them on an open day next year. I don't know if I'll be able to afford London tbh
Chinese Studies for me. I've learnt Chinese for 7 years though, so if there's any language parts to the course then hopefully I could skip them.
Postgraduate studies.
MSc Politics of China with MA Chinese Studies as a second option.
Anyone here for the same courses? I would be happy to discuss.
[h="3"]
Reply 35
Original post by Lily-May King
I'm think of applying for Social Anthropology

I'm considering applying to SOAS for social anthropology too! What other unis are you considering? :smile:
Original post by LivK
I'm considering applying to SOAS for social anthropology too! What other unis are you considering? :smile:

LSE, Manchester, Goldsmiths and Brunel
Reply 37
LSE, Manchester, Goldsmiths and Brunel

Looking at manchester too! were you at the discover social anthropology day? :smile:
Original post by LivK
Looking at manchester too! were you at the discover social anthropology day? :smile:

No:frown: I was attending the UCL open day. Was it useful?
Reply 39
No:frown: I was attending the UCL open day. Was it useful?

Yes, it was great! We had mock lectures and a tour of campus! All the lecturers I met were amazing and the students seemed happy about the course! Plus, if I remember well, it's a small course (60 undegrads per year) so you receive a lot of individual support!

How was UCL? I couldn't make it because of Manchester :') Inbox me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending