The Student Room Group

What unis can I apply to with these grades?

So I'm nearing towards the end of my AS levels, and I'm starting to get a bit worried about applying to uni. I take economics, chemistry, maths, and physics. My physics, economics, and chemistry exams went really well (especially physics, should be expecting a's in all three), however with my maths exam, I got very stressed out and made a LOT of silly mistakes (might get a low C or high D on the first unit and a D in the second one) however I still have my Mechanics exam tomorrow which I feel very confident about and know that I can get full UMS. Provided that I do, depending on the grade boundaries, I could hopefully) scrape a B or more likely get a C.

So my grades should be AAAC. I am very nervous about this. I am a girl and an international student hoping to apply for chemical engineering, and I have work experience at SHELL which I did over the summer and I have a lot of volunteering experience as well and really good xtracurriculars.

What should I do? What unis will take me? :/
Reply 1
...most unis will take you - maybe not Oxbridge, but UCL and Imperial and other Russell Groups such as Leeds are still 100% possible for you to get in to. Just make sure it's clear on your UCAS form if you're retaking the maths modules. Getting an A in physics clearly shows you're competent at maths and just had a bad day. Heck, my sister got offers with CDEU. Several people I know got offers with BCEU and grades like that.
Reply 2
Assuming that you also get 3As at A2, only the very top universities (A*AA requirements) wouldn't accept you.
Pretty much the top ones, although you should be retaking you maths to get it higher as getting 100 ums in M1 shows you're more than capable at maths.
As long you get predicted at least AAA or more in your A-level grades including maths, you can still apply to a lot of universities and get offers. For eng, they do not look as much at work experience and extra curricular, more about grades but it might also tip you into their favour.
Why don't you look for yourself on university websites at their requirements?
Reply 6
Original post by CarysMoo
...most unis will take you - maybe not Oxbridge, but UCL and Imperial and other Russell Groups such as Leeds are still 100% possible for you to get in to. Just make sure it's clear on your UCAS form if you're retaking the maths modules. Getting an A in physics clearly shows you're competent at maths and just had a bad day. Heck, my sister got offers with CDEU. Several people I know got offers with BCEU and grades like that.

Original post by Nabbles
Assuming that you also get 3As at A2, only the very top universities (A*AA requirements) wouldn't accept you.

Original post by Dilzo999
Pretty much the top ones, although you should be retaking you maths to get it higher as getting 100 ums in M1 shows you're more than capable at maths.

Thank you all so much for replying :smile: I think that I will be retaking maths. However, I'd still have to take it next year at A2 as I HAVE to drop economics. Feeling a little better now!
Reply 7
Original post by WitnessMO
As long you get predicted at least AAA or more in your A-level grades including maths, you can still apply to a lot of universities and get offers. For eng, they do not look as much at work experience and extra curricular, more about grades but it might also tip you into their favour.

Well I won't get predicted grade A for maths since. Probably a B :P
Reply 8
Good luck! Just ensure you're predicted AAA or above and you'll do fine!
Wastarn Island univarsaty
Reply 10
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Wastarn Island univarsaty

I was thinking about Russell Group!
Original post by sj97
I was thinking about Russell Group!

ok sir u r corract
Original post by sj97
Well I won't get predicted grade A for maths since. Probably a B :P

you have to drop one of your A-levels probably economics and try you hardest to convince you teachers to predict you an A. Surely if you messed up one module this won't be difficult as you would be able to resit it and your other module results show you are very capable. If you can't get them to predict you an A, enter your individual module results on UCAS, to show the universities your ability inspite of one bad exam and apply to one place with conditions lower than AAA like Aston. I'm sure you would still get an offer even at AAA+ places but still at those minimum grade requirements.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
you have to drop one of your A-levels probably economics and try you hardest to convince you teachers to predict you an A. Surely if you messed up one module this won't be difficult as you would be able to resit it and your other module results show you are very capable. If you can't get them to predict you an A, enter your individual module results on UCAS, to show the universities your ability inspite of one bad exam and apply to one place with conditions lower than AAA like Aston. I'm sure you would still get an offer even at AAA+ places but still at those minimum grade requirements.

Thank you very much! I was also thinking about Newcastle and Nottingham? :smile:
Original post by sj97
Thank you very much! I was also thinking about Newcastle and Nottingham? :smile:

Have a look at Bath too (:
Reply 15
Original post by eggfriedrice
Have a look at Bath too (:

Haha I've heard that place is very, very competitive! Anyways, I guess I'll worry abou this more over the summer. For now, I still ahve to revise for my Mechanics and Physics exam (both of which I'm feeling very good about) :smile: Thank you guys!
Original post by sj97

oh yes Nottingham and Newcastle are really good, but do not just apply to all the Unis you know you will get in, also include one you really like because at the end of A-level when you got your A*s and As, you don't want to say, I wish I had applied to this and that.
Reply 17
oh yes Nottingham and Newcastle are really good, but do not just apply to all the Unis you know you will get in, also include one you really like because at the end of A-level when you got your A*s and As, you don't want to say, I wish I had applied to this and that.

Haha I didn't even know that I would get into those two with a C in Maths at AS level, but thank you! I also thought that since I'm a girl and an international student, that would help out a bit as well as I've seen on many entry requirement pages that they appreciate those two. Are you in uni already or doing your A Levels? :smile: Agh I was so worried before but now I'm feeling much better.
Original post by sj97
Haha I didn't even know that I would get into those two with a C in Maths at AS level, but thank you! I also thought that since I'm a girl and an international student, that would help out a bit as well as I've seen on many entry requirement pages that they appreciate those two. Are you in uni already or doing your A Levels? :smile: Agh I was so worried before but now I'm feeling much better.

It's about academic ability so they won't lower the entry standards. But I guess yeah being an international( i.e. paying) and a girl since it's a policy in engineering trying to recruit more girls, would help getting an offer. No, I'm not in uni at the moment, but already got my A-levels and will be starting my course this September.

Quick Reply

Latest