The Student Room Group

A2 WJEC Computing CG4 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Woah haha. We've still got testing, evaluation and the user documentation to go! I've done 203k words and 1500 pages which is just ridiculous. Did it take you long to do all of the sections I still have to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow!! Has anyone else in your class done anywhere near that amount as well? The testing took the longest for me, I was so happy when I finally got that part done. The other sections don't take anywhere near as long, you'll fly through them. (: The length of the testing just depends on how big you made your program and the objectives you have.
Reply 101
Original post by RonanWalters
Wow!! Has anyone else in your class done anywhere near that amount as well? The testing took the longest for me, I was so happy when I finally got that part done. The other sections don't take anywhere near as long, you'll fly through them. (: The length of the testing just depends on how big you made your program and the objectives you have.

Nah no one else haha. I'm just an oddball :colondollar:
Yeah testing looks long! How long was your user documentation? :smile:

Oh, and (I can't believe I haven't asked already!) what was your project based around & which language did you use?
Original post by CD223
Nah no one else haha. I'm just an oddball :colondollar:
Yeah testing looks long! How long was your user documentation? :smile:

Oh, and (I can't believe I haven't asked already!) what was your project based around & which language did you use?

Yeah, same here! Haha. The second most someone has done in my computing is 40k. I guess I just really wanted to secure a good grade for the coursework.

My coursework was a booking system for a sports & leisure centre called Power League. We had to use Visual Basic. How about yourself? (:
Reply 103
Yeah, same here! Haha. The second most someone has done in my computing is 40k. I guess I just really wanted to secure a good grade for the coursework.

My coursework was a booking system for a sports & leisure centre called Power League. We had to use Visual Basic. How about yourself? (:

Yeah I'm the same. Not even sure I know anyone with 40k yet!

Nice! Mine is a ticket booking system for my local theatre, again in VB due to the college not teaching any other language haha! I also felt Id be able to get a better mark using a simpler language rather than struggling to learn Java in my spare time and produce something that didn't work as well. Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah I'm the same. Not even sure I know anyone with 40k yet!

Nice! Mine is a ticket booking system for my local theatre, again in VB due to the college not teaching any other language haha! I also felt Id be able to get a better mark using a simpler language rather than struggling to learn Java in my spare time and produce something that didn't work as well. Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, that sounds good! Yeah, same here. Just reasiled I didn't mention how long the user doc took, sorry! Haha. For me, the user doc honestly didn't take long at all. I'd say the user doc took the quickest and then evaluation just after.

Have you enjoyed doing the coursework?
Reply 105
Oh wow, that sounds good! Yeah, same here. Just reasiled I didn't mention how long the user doc took, sorry! Haha. For me, the user doc honestly didn't take long at all. I'd say the user doc took the quickest and then evaluation just after.

Ah thank you - it sounds more impressive than it is in reality! Hahahah. That's ok! That's great news as those two are two of the three I have remaining!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106

Oh and I've enjoyed making the programme but not completing the documentation! Haha! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh and I've enjoyed making the programme but not completing the documentation! Haha! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much the same for me, haha. The creation of the programme was a lot of fun, but the write up just feels like it has taken an eternity to complete.
Reply 108
Pretty much the same for me, haha. The creation of the programme was a lot of fun, but the write up just feels like it has taken an eternity to complete.

I feel that -at least you're done now though!
Reply 109
I'm currently doing the testing stage - how has everyone documented their report and query tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Is there an example of a finished piece anywhere ?
Reply 111
Original post by wb25
Is there an example of a finished piece anywhere ?

I can't seem to find any. Our teacher has given us exemplars for testing and analysis from previous years' work but other than that, nothing. We still haven't finished either. Whereabouts are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by CD223
I can't seem to find any. Our teacher has given us exemplars for testing and analysis from previous years' work but other than that, nothing. We still haven't finished either. Whereabouts are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Starting on the writing now. I've just finished coded the entire thing. So begging on analysis now.
Reply 113
Original post by wb25
Starting on the writing now. I've just finished coded the entire thing. So begging on analysis now.

Ah wow decent! What was your project? How far into the theory are you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Original post by CD223
Ah wow decent! What was your project? How far into the theory are you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A motion detection system, what about you ?

We've done algorithms, data representation and some software engineering theory and that's about it. Out teacher is more of a 'Learn yourself' when it comes to the theory.
Reply 115
Original post by wb25
A motion detection system, what about you ?

We've done algorithms, data representation and some software engineering theory and that's about it. Out teacher is more of a 'Learn yourself' when it comes to the theory.

Woah that sounds crazy! How does it work? What language did you use? :smile:

Oh right! We've done Number Systems, Algorithms, OS, Networks, Databases and Software Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
Original post by CD223
Woah that sounds crazy! How does it work? What language did you use? :smile:

Oh right! We've done Number Systems, Algorithms, OS, Networks, Databases and Software Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, It is simpler than it seems. I used python, what was your project ?
Reply 117
Original post by wb25
Haha, It is simpler than it seems. I used python, what was your project ?

Oh nice! I used VB (I know, not exactly a proper project) to make a ticket booking program for my local theatre.

I've done the build, analysis, design, maintenance. I still have the demonstration to my teacher, testing, evaluation and user guide to go :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Original post by CoreyD97
I thought my teacher was really bad but reading through this thread made me realize that he's even worse than I thought. By the sounds of it you guys are doing amazing and are going to get great grades, but most people in my class will fail.

My teacher does not take any work in for drafts, he does not give us any information on the coursework what so ever. He just sits there on his computer. You can't even ask him a question because he doesn't even know how to use Visual Basic himself! Everybody is in shambles with their coursework here. He gave us a copy of the specification, and a couple of example projects, that's it.

How do you guys do so much work? I have done 120 pages up to now, working on my Test Data now which is 10 pages long with 4k words. And by the sounds of it you have included a ton of things that we have not done.

It seems to be a sadly common scenario with teachers. Mine last year wasn't good. The one I have this year is better and inspires me to work as hard as I can.

At the end of the day the important thing to do is not to distance yourself between your position right now and where others who are getting their targets are. No one gets their target grades without hard work. Please don't think I'm implying you're not working hard - what I mean to say is that the sky is the limit. You have every capability to do well, it's just unfortunate that your teacher makes you feel like that opportunity is limited.

I've been in your position in the past, with this subject and others. It's not fun and I fully sympathise. It's all too common.

Does your teacher provide you with individual feedback or general class feedback like mine does?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 119
Original post by CoreyD97
He likes to say he'll collect something in on one day, then a a week later collects it in and halfheartedly marks it, giving the bare minimum feedback.

I've been working on it since 1pm today and still going, same with the rest of the week. Get in, work, sleep, wake up late from working late, come home, repeat. I don't think I'm doing that bad though since last year I left it all until last minute and spent nowhere near as much time on it but got 79%. Sometimes it can be hard because the examples we've been given all do it completely different from each other.

He's also one of those people that has to be correct, I avoid doing this now learning from past mistakes but we were learning BNF and one of the answers confused a friend, so I asked about it and he insisted I was wrong and he was right for the rest of the lesson. He tried to make me look stupid in front of everybody and confused the rest of the group trying to defend himself saying that "T" satisfies the rule of <Value>::=<Uppercase><Word> because it fits into both the uppercase and word definitions. The next lesson he took me out of the class and apologized, but didn't say another thing about it to the people who he confused, and tried to humiliate me in front of.

That's not good news. Sorry to hear about that. I would say just ask questions on the main exam thread for now (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3047363) because then you won't be humiliated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending