The Student Room Group

why the n-word is banned?

hello!

my friend was raised in a country without blacks, without racists, without immigrants, without nazi past, without KKK, without slavery, etc

he finds it too much that a word, even an insulting word, like n-word, is banned and it shouldn't be told at all, while there are other heavier insulting words that one can say and they aren't banned

he says:
why the n-word?
what's so special about blacks that we should protect them against insulting?

he cannot understand
he says a word is just a word, there shouldn't be bans for words!

what's your opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
niger seeds?
Reply 2
Original post by IronSoldier
niger seeds?

pls elaborate
Reply 3
Where is 'your friend' from, then?
Reply 4
Original post by studos
pls elaborate

In a shop once there were niger seeds. I was young and said nigg... seeds. I was told not to say it. Why? Because the word itself is fine but people often use in a negative way. Then it becomes a bad word. And the rest follows.
hate arguments like this...

what the phrase "it's just a word" mean? and ****** isn't banned in the UK, since when? Well not in itself, but the same with other offensive words...

It's just the historical connotation behind the word. I don't care if it is banned, freedom of speech is not absolute..
Reply 6
It's not banned :|
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski

he is from albania
Why is every third thread of yours about black people ?

What could possibly posses you to invest so much time and efffort into hating the group of people so ?]

Maybe because its offensive to the people who have ancestors who endured centuries of rape , torture and slavery ? Can you not possibly grasp why that would hurt these people ?

It's almost akin to referencing the holocaust when identifying someone of Jewish background , its not nice .
Original post by Drewski

By the sound of things his friend is from Greenland.
I think it's a little far to just "ban" a word. I suppose at the end of the day words are just words and it's more about how people react to them? Some people don't tend to care and throw the word around whilst others see it as disrespect and even in the severe cases act physically violent

-M
Original post by studos
he is from albania

And there's no racism in Albania? Suuuuuure.
Original post by Darkwarrior23
By the sound of things his friend is from Greenland.

Narnia, more like.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Why is every third thread of yours about black people ?

What could possibly posses you to invest so much time and efffort into hating the group of people so ?]

Maybe because its offensive to the people who have ancestors who endured centuries of rape , torture and slavery ? Can you not possibly grasp why that would hurt these people ?

It's almost akin to referencing the holocaust when identifying someone of Jewish background , its not nice .

Rape, torture and slavery. Things which occur in Africa still to this day.
Our history teacher was talking to is about this a long time ago and it was due to the fact there is history behind it like during slavery....
Reply 15
my friend believes many populations have been tortured, raped and enslaved during the history, but it is only for blacks that people are so sensitive about insulting
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Rape, torture and slavery. Things which occur in Africa still to this day.

Ok ... I'm not even African but yh, Is this somehow supposed to change the fact the word is offensive ?
Why don't you tell your friend that
1. it's offensive, not banned and 2. the reason you shouldn't use it is because it has negative connotations to do with the history of the race etc.

It's a bit strange that you can't answer your friend's question yourself.
I'm done trying with this troll
We've all gotta realize that some people just generally use the n word to just refer to brother or friend with no reference to slavery.

-M

Quick Reply

Latest