The Student Room Group

UCLAN uni for medicine?

hi guys.. my question is about UCLAN.. i have read many mixed reviews about it tbh mostly negative for medicine! Can anyone with personal experience or if you know a lot about studying medicine at UCLAN tell me if its "****ty"or actually good?
i'd really appreciate the help
Reply 1
hmmm I think the main criticism comes from the £35k a year fees.
Also i'm not sure its GMC approved yet is it? Hence, you could be paying for a useless degree...
Original post by Freyr
hmmm I think the main criticism comes from the £35k a year fees.
Also i'm not sure its GMC approved yet is it? Hence, you could be paying for a useless degree...

okay..thanks for the reply but what about in terms of education.. does it deliver well for medicine? i know they just implemented the medicine course which is why i am worried..
Reply 3
Original post by Paras Agarwal
okay..thanks for the reply but what about in terms of education.. does it deliver well for medicine? i know they just implemented the medicine course which is why i am worried..

No one can say yet, the course itself hasn't started yet. The first intake start Sep 2014

They claim they will meet the requirements by the GMC. and if they do get GMC approval, then it'll be the same as every other medical school, in terms of education at least... But the question is, will they?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Freyr
No one can say yet, the course itself hasn't started yet. The first intake start Sep 2014

yup i am aware.. do u know of anyone who's is applying there/has already been accepted for the sept 2014 intake?
35k a year fees??
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
yup i am aware.. do u know of anyone who's is applying there/has already been accepted for the sept 2014 intake?

I have applied to uclan and got an offer, the MBBS dgree is new to them but they have been teaching postgraduate degrees in medicine they claim that they have an agreement with university of liverpool and they will transfer their students to liverpool university if the dont get GMC approval but the emphasised that they will get the accreditation. GMC asses each and every year of the 5 year course.
Original post by Usama alsiyabi
I have applied to uclan and got an offer, the MBBS dgree is new to them but they have been teaching postgraduate degrees in medicine they claim that they have an agreement with university of liverpool and they will transfer their students to liverpool university if the dont get GMC approval but the emphasised that they will get the accreditation. GMC asses each and every year of the 5 year course.

oh thats good! Are you firming UCLAN? What is PRESTON like? i'm international so i'd like to know more before i proceed any further
Original post by Danny the Geezer
35k a year fees??

yeah same as Buckingham
Original post by Usama alsiyabi

??
Yes I am but that depends if i get a scholarship to RCSI or not but UCLAN is my plan A. Preston is a great city and its also an hour from Manchester and liverpool.
What are your offers?
Apply to 4 UK medical schools first, then apply to Irish medical schools. If all fails then apply to UCLan or Bucks or some European medical school if you really wanted to.
Original post by solarplexus
Apply to 4 UK medical schools first, then apply to Irish medical schools. If all fails then apply to UCLan or Bucks or some European medical school if you really wanted to.

lmao why? are UCLAN and Bucks that bad? UCLAN and Livpool work together... Bucks and Leicester work together so the teaching standards are bound to be high anyway
UCLan may not be the most "prestigious" school but its going to be GMC accredited, making it the best option for anyone who wants a UK PMQ. Even if in the unlikely case it fails accreditation the students will become Liverpool grads.
Hi there,

We are GMC accredited, you can find further information about the course here.

Molly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending