The Student Room Group

The next three world cups (2014, 2018, 2022)- should they be held where they are?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vintage
I have no complaints about Brazil getting it, Only that they've failed majorly to be ready in time so it should have been revoked and given to another country with infrastructure already in place.

Russia, It was obviously paid for in bungs and bribes, England were never going to be awarded a world cup with Blatter & Platini in charge.

But they are a big nation that's never had the chance to host a world cup so good luck to them.

Qatar is the problem. A nation smaller than Wales and that has no domestic football league system. Its an absolute joke.

Australia lost out to them, Absolute joke. Blatter said he wanted to award hosting world cups to nations who have not done so before, Yet chose Qatar over Australia.

Its disgusting, Does it really take an investigation into the voting system for people to know that this was all done via bribes and bungs. Countries should boycott this tournament. Send Faroe Islands, Luxembourg & San Marino to this World Cup instead.

The Englands, Spain, Italys etc should just miss out on qualifying and host a 'friendly' tournament instead at the same time away from Fifa.

This argument about Qatar having no domestic league is bizarre as they infact do. Thus I cannot see this part of the your argument being in anyway valid.

And the fact remains that not only 8s Australia hot in the summer (like any country outside of Europe is) but the time difference would be a pain for most of those who would want to watch the sport…

Not only that but how many Aussies truly care about football?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apolocreed
This argument about Qatar having no domestic league is bizarre as they infact do. Thus I cannot see this part of the your argument being in anyway valid.

And the fact remains that not only 8s Australia hot in the summer (like any country outside of Europe is) but the time difference would be a pain for most of those who would want to watch the sport…

Posted from TSR Mobile

Qatar does have a domestic league. Where a player died recently.

Temperatures in Australia would not be a problem as the tournament is played in northern hemisphere summer I.e. winter there. Max temps are 20 degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well its domestic league is pretty pants, My argument is still valid. How many people from Qatar truly care about football??

As for time difference, It shouldn't matter. Japan/South Korea was a pain in time difference.
Original post by Vintage
Well its domestic league is pretty pants, My argument is still valid. How many people from Qatar truly care about football??

As for time difference, It shouldn't matter. Japan/South Korea was a pain in time difference.

Tough one, could be the people that chose to sponsor Barca or the ones that bought PSG...?

I can assure you that football is truly celebrated in Qatar.
Tough one, could be the people that chose to sponsor Barca or the ones that bought PSG...?

Nah the 2022 World Cup is nothing to do with football for Qatar and all about promoting qatar's image on the world stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Nah the 2022 World Cup is nothing to do with football for Qatar and all about promoting qatar's image on the world stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, like every other major sporting events then.
"soccer" is actually the most popular national sport in Australia.

Also our summer is their winter so the heat wouldn't be too bad.

I can assure you that football is truly celebrated in Austrailia.
2014: Brazil
2018: Singapore
2022: England
2026: USA

Quick Reply

Latest