The Student Room Group

Tax vs Audit Exit Opportunities

If someone qualifies as an ACA/ACCA in a tax department, would they still be able to take advantage of the ‘traditional’ accountancy exit opps (i.e. management accounting in industry, product control, banking, consultancy, etc), or do these tend to be more for ex-auditors? Just wondering as tax seems more interesting than audit, but audit seems to develop more transferable skills.
Reply 1
Original post by KingPrawn0356
If someone qualifies as an ACA/ACCA in a tax department, would they still be able to take advantage of the ‘traditional’ accountancy exit opps (i.e. management accounting in industry, product control, banking, consultancy, etc), or do these tend to be more for ex-auditors? Just wondering as tax seems more interesting than audit, but audit seems to develop more transferable skills.

I'm not sure banking or consultancy would fall in to traditional accountancy exit ops. I'm yet to see anyone go to consultancy, and banking is traditionally achieved via the "Audit > Corp Finance (TS usually) > Bank" route.

Obviously product control is also a bank role, but that is reasonably achievable directly from audit. I suspect (may be entirely wrong) that tax would equally serve as a route to PC if you wanted it to.

For management accounting, obviously audit has the advantage in that the day job is far more relevant. However, ACAs from tax can certainly make the move, it just might be more challenging to make that first jump.
OK thanks for that. I actually spoke to a product controller who assured me that there were loads of ex-tax guys working with him so I'm sure the option will be there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending