The Student Room Group

Help me understand the electron transport chain

Dear internet,

Are the light dependant reaction of PHOTOSYNTHESIS and the electron transport chain of RESPIRATION the SAME process?

Thanks

Edit: might seem like a stupid question, but I am unsure if there are details that I am missing. For example, both involve a proton gradient? Unsure whether to learn separately or as one.
(edited 9 years ago)
The light dependant reaction uses an electron transport chain, as photons excite electrons (photoelectric effect) and these electrons de-excite by moving along an ETC. (Or I think this is what happens anyway)
Oh my god, I realise I worded my question wrong. Time for a second edit :angry:
Original post by Username12213131
Dear internet,

Are the light dependant reaction and the electron transport chain of photosynthesis the SAME process?

Thanks

To be honest, we are real folks out there, not dear internet :biggrin:
The answer to your question is yes. Technically, we consider both of them to be the same process.
Sorry, I worded my question wrong initially, I am comparing respiration with photosynthesis. I understand that the ETC is a part of the light dependent stage of photosynthesis. But is the ETC in photosynthesis the exact same as the ETC in respiration?
No its not the same.
Photosynthesis light dependent reaction takes place in the Choroplasts (in the Inner membrane)
But Respiration takes place in the Mitochondrial Matrix (Yes, plants do have Mitochondria)
Original post by Chloeheart
No its not the same.
Photosynthesis light dependent reaction takes place in the Choroplasts (in the Inner membrane)
But Respiration takes place in the Mitochondrial Matrix (Yes, plants do have Mitochondria)

I thought OP was asking about the sequence of events, not the site :O
Reply 7
Original post by Dynamo123
I thought OP was asking about the sequence of events, not the site :O

They are clearly not the same process though as they utilise different components as electron carriers and have different reactants/products (respiration consumes NADH and produces water whereas photosynthesis consumes water and NADPH).

So both are different process but both make use of an electron transport chain. The OP should also note that bacteria also make use of various electron transport chains.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending