The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I keep reading about all these amazing people who got rejected, and somehow I feel guilty about my offer. To be honest I don't think I'm anything special and it seems like the college gave me an offer just to be nice, or to make the numbers! A college I didn't apply to, for half the degree I wanted and I've still accepted it. If I'd applied for a different subject, I'd never have got in, and there's so many people I know who deserved a place far more than me!

My friend thinks the tutor was impressed by my huge.......potential.
A guy I know played an April Fools' joke on one of his friends, faking an acceptance letter from Oxford saying that he really did get in.

This was really harsh as his friend rang up everyone - parents, teachers telling them about the news only to find out it was only a joke. He took his original rejection quite badly so was ecstatic at this supposed turn of events...

The guy who played the joke however, is happily holding an offer from Balliol, Oxford for History.
Reply 22
deianra
A guy I know played an April Fools' joke on one of his friends, faking an acceptance letter from Oxford saying that he really did get in.

This was really harsh as his friend rang up everyone - parents, teachers telling them about the news only to find out it was only a joke. He took his original rejection quite badly so was ecstatic at this supposed turn of events...

The guy who played the joke however, is happily holding an offer from Balliol, Oxford for History.

Oow, that is cruel
Reply 23
deianra

If he did that to me, he would have promptly received a black eye. And I'm a pacifist, honest!

I don't know what I would have done if I'd been rejected. Oxbridge has been my one great ambition since forever (i know, it's unhealthy!).
Two years ago the headmistress came up to me, held my hand in a vicelike grip and said "It'll be nothing less than Oxford or Cambridge for you, young lady. Understand??" and ever since then, I've feared for my life if I didn't get in.

I do think the admissions process is a complete lottery though. My friend is amazing, straight As, prefect, teaching herself further maths, chess champion etc and she's the most intelligent person I know, but she didn't get in. She says that she didn't want to get in because she doesn't want to leave london, but it's still such a shock. Someone actually said to me that it's unbelievable that I got in and not her. Suggesting somewhat that I wasn't as worthy, but i take it all with a large pinch of salt.
Reply 24
CHilL
A friend of mine got rejected from Balliol... He demanded an explanation... they didnt give him any... but instead gave him an offer.

seriously?? how the hell did that happen
Reply 25
naelse
If he did that to me, he would have promptly received a black eye. And I'm a pacifist, honest!

I don't know what I would have done if I'd been rejected. Oxbridge has been my one great ambition since forever (i know, it's unhealthy!).
Two years ago the headmistress came up to me, held my hand in a vicelike grip and said "It'll be nothing less than Oxford or Cambridge for you, young lady. Understand??" and ever since then, I've feared for my life if I didn't get in.

I do think the admissions process is a complete lottery though. My friend is amazing, straight As, prefect, teaching herself further maths, chess champion etc and she's the most intelligent person I know, but she didn't get in. She says that she didn't want to get in because she doesn't want to leave london, but it's still such a shock. Someone actually said to me that it's unbelievable that I got in and not her. Suggesting somewhat that I wasn't as worthy, but i take it all with a large pinch of salt.

It isn't a completely lottery. They've been doing this for centuries, I think they've more or less got the most efficient system up that is possible. One of the main parts of the interview is to assess how teachable you are. You often find with some highly intelligent people that they are very arrogant and refuse to be told they're wrong (I'm not suggesting your friend is like that, but I'm saying it happens), and it's a lot less effort to take someone who isn't *quite* as intelligent, but will learn much better. And sometimes you will find that these straight A* candidates aren't necessarily intelligent, they just apply themselves.

The people accepted in my school were pretty much well represented out of the people applying - the arrogant twats and the really thick people were either rejected at interview or beforehand. Without being arrogant, I feel myself and the other person who got in are the best in the school, and we are both always open to criticism from teachers and fellow pupils.

However, you are right in that at the end of it all, it's how you perform on the day. Even if you are a top candidate, having a bad day will throw the spanner in the works. But I feel it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a lottery. There are only 3,000 places in Oxford for the many thousands of applicants. It's about being the best of the group that're up for interview, not having the "winning ticket" - who knows, maybe your friend applied with loads of *brilliant* people to that specific college.

Personally, I support them bringing back the oxford interview exams for all subjects.
Leeroy
every year many able (and in some cases not so able) applicants get rejected from oxbridge, many on this board it seems. For many this is the first real rejection in their life, so i was wondering how people took it.

Did you feel bitter, upset and hard done by, or jsut disappointed but really expected it.

and is anyone mightily frustrated and feel that they 100% deserved a place? :tongue:

Got my rejection on New Years' Eve and went on to have a great night. I was sort of expecting it, I know I'm pretty good at maths and qute enthusiastic, but no natural. Besides, Manchester or KCL is fine by me!
K'uin K'ra
It isn't a completely lottery. They've been doing this for centuries, I think they've more or less got the most efficient system up that is possible. One of the main parts of the interview is to assess how teachable you are. You often find with some highly intelligent people that they are very arrogant and refuse to be told they're wrong (I'm not suggesting your friend is like that, but I'm saying it happens), and it's a lot less effort to take someone who isn't *quite* as intelligent, but will learn much better. And sometimes you will find that these straight A* candidates aren't necessarily intelligent, they just apply themselves.

The people accepted in my school were pretty much well represented out of the people applying - the arrogant twats and the really thick people were either rejected at interview or beforehand. Without being arrogant, I feel myself and the other person who got in are the best in the school, and we are both always open to criticism from teachers and fellow pupils.

However, you are right in that at the end of it all, it's how you perform on the day. Even if you are a top candidate, having a bad day will throw the spanner in the works. But I feel it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a lottery. There are only 3,000 places in Oxford for the many thousands of applicants. It's about being the best of the group that're up for interview, not having the "winning ticket" - who knows, maybe your friend applied with loads of *brilliant* people to that specific college.

Personally, I support them bringing back the oxford interview exams for all subjects.

Yes, I agree.

I wouldn't like to face an entrance exam though.
Reply 28
Leeroy
seriously?? how the hell did that happen

No one quite knows.... all of us (including him) were awestruck!
Reply 29
CHilL
A friend of mine got rejected from Balliol... He demanded an explanation... they didnt give him any... but instead gave him an offer.

You being serious? To me that really is unheard of.
Reply 30
CHilL

Maybe someone turned down an offer and your friend just happened to phone up at the right time to snap up the spare place?
Reply 31
shiny
Maybe someone turned down an offer and your friend just happened to phone up at the right time to snap up the spare place?

certainly gonna make me phone up and complain if/when I get rejected :biggrin:
Reply 32
hornblower
Yes, I agree.

I wouldn't like to face an entrance exam though.

It's not so bad - takes some of the pressure off the interview :smile:
Reply 33
deianra

Thats an awful story, i'd be so angry if that happened to me :eek:
K'uin K'ra

This theory sounds very logical to me but how am I supposed to put that into action?
How exactly can I show that I am "teachable", as you put it? I'm not arrogant and overly self-confident so I don't mind being corrected.
But if I said yes and amen to everything the tutors tell me I doubt that they would approve. I suppose that they prefer applicants who are able to defend their own views instead of agreeing to every word the tutor utter.
Reply 35
Pemberley_1813
This theory sounds very logical to me but how am I supposed to put that into action?
How exactly can I show that I am "teachable", as you put it? I'm not arrogant and overly self-confident so I don't mind being corrected.
But if I said yes and amen to everything the tutors tell me I doubt that they would approve. I suppose that they prefer applicants who are able to defend their own views instead of agreeing to every word the tutor utter.

Just be yourself! And if you don't understand something or belief your right say so!

I got asked a physics question and said what I thought would happen and they told me I was wrong and to think about it. So I did, but I couldn't see what was wrong with what I was sayin so I told them I was really sorry but from what I knew what I was saying was right, so could they explain why I was getting it wrong. They promptly smiled and helped me out and together we solved the problem. I wasn't arrogant and didnt say "I KNOW IM RIGHT AND YOUR WRONG!" nor did I just sit there and go "arghh" in my mind and just dissolve into the chair looking worried! I told them politely I couldn't see where I was going wrong and clearly they liked that as they realised I didn't know everything and they could teach me! Just be yourself, you can't pretend to be dumb/brilliant/pleasant/arrogant if you aren't! Remember, if you don't get an offer it doesn't mean you're not clever, it just means that their system isn't for you and you'd do better at another university where you can thrive in a different scheme of learning! :smile:
I was rejected by Oxford for English, but in retrospect I realise that I really wasn't ready for it. I was sort of seduced by the whole image of 'dreaming spires' and old libraries, etc and as such, didn't do justice to my abilities at interview. Instead, I hope to do a masters or PhD there in the future, when I've matured more and have greater confidence.
Reply 37
when i got rejected from oxford econ and management i was expecting it. After the firts writen exam which i mucked up i knew i wasn't gonna get in cos i didn't bring a watch to time mysel but u would have thought that there would be a clock somewhere in the exam room. them es each interview passed it seeled my fate. I should have done some research about management.

nevermind it wasn't the course for me. and to be honest it wasn't the place for me. i don't really like old buildings and stuff. Hopefully i will have more fun in london anyway. And i did meet a few good friends on the interveiw. I can always try to go there for a masters after my undergrad degree
Reply 38
To be rejected is not the worst thing - by the time of results day you've got over it, moved on and are looking forward to going somewhere else.

The very worst thing must be to get an offer and miss your grades and not be accepted.

I wonder how long you would tell yourself 'sh.t, if only I had worked harder'! :mad:
The very worst thing must be to get an offer and miss your grades and not be accepted.

I wonder how long you would tell yourself 'sh.t, if only I had worked harder'!

A long, long time. I speak from experience, unfortunately.

On the other hand, I know some people who deal with it fine, and quite happily go off to their insurance uni. I think a big part of it, more so for Oxbridge than for other universities, is that getting a place at Oxbridge is the realisation of a dream you may have had all your life, the realisation that you actually are as clever as people have been telling you, and quite possibly an entrance to a new life. So even though you know that you should prepare yourself for rejection, you tell yourself "I've come this far already, surely it can't be that hard to actually get those grades?", and you're probably also one of those people who have never failed anything major before (I was). So you just let yourself believe that everything will be ok, that if you really want it that badly, you'll get it. So when you don't get the grades, your world comes crashing down around you and it's hard to know what to do next because your main goal in life has suddenly evaporated.

It also doesn't help when you (or your parents) have told everyone you know that you've got an offer from Oxford (many people don't understand the difference between a "conditional offer" and a "place"), then everytime you see these people after results day, they ask you if you're at Oxford. When you say that you aren't, they say "Oh, what went wrong?".

All I can say to anyone who missed their grade offer is to try not to blame yourself. I know that's difficult, and everyone deals with it in their own way. My way was to just stop thinking about Oxford for months, to not read anything about it in the paper or on the Net. That way it wasn't a part of my life anymore, and it made rejection easier to deal with. But it's not a nice thing to happen to anyone, so if you have an offer from Oxbridge, REVISE REVISE REVISE! Or I'll slap you round the face til you do! :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending