The Student Room Group

So, let's say I go to a bad university...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SloaneRanger
What through deception, people end up getting caught. Its like building a house on sand that is why if you lie about qualifications etc. You better soon get them, at least then you can have argument to cover yourself "it was a replica certificate".

I don't know how he has done it.

But I was assuming it was in a legit way.
Original post by fat_hobbit
So dont ever in the future use Alevels as a benchmark of intelligence, when it is clearly not.

The system is also designed in such a way, that those that come from wealthy backgrounds are likely to get the best jobs as they have the best starts in life.

I agree, but you can get money out of many things, like "re-mortgaging a house", selling a car, pretty much anything. If you want some thing there are means of getting it.
I agree, but you can get money out of many things, like "re-mortgaging a house", selling a car, pretty much anything. If you want some thing there are means of getting it.

First time you have agreed with me, shocked
Reply 83
Not really, you can be taught how to pass exams. My exam technique improved dramatically at university, hence I was able to obtain a 2.1, whereas at A level, I remember how I used to run out of time, or not practice enough past papers.

Hence, if you go to a top school, like Eton - the odds are in your favour. Smaller class sizes. private tutors and so on.

Youre right on that point, although thats why there are ukcat tests for dentistry/medicine which cant be prepared for like a levels. No system is perfect tho

By the way , what I define as true intelligence is someone who is able to maximize his resources to his max to make whatever they want to achieve happen.

That requires creative problem solving skills. Alevels cant teach you this ****.

To quote the joker:

"I just did what I do best. I took your little plan and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets. "
I don't know how he has done it.

But I was assuming it was in a legit way.

Anyone that says they do sales in a legit way is a clear liar. I know the house I've built on is on sand for sure. Your only as good as your last performance and its a daily one.
By the way , what I define as true intelligence is someone who is able to maximize his resources to his max to make whatever they want to achieve happen.

That requires creative problem solving skills. Alevels cant teach you this ****.

To quote the joker:

"I just did what I do best. I took your little plan and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets. "

That also includes remortgaging a house to pay for things? if you can get £200-300k out of a house.... or loan or any other form of borrowing.
Original post by teen1234
Youre right on that point, although thats why there are ukcat tests for dentistry/medicine which cant be prepared for like a levels. No system is perfect tho

Which is why ALs should not be used as a way to have a dickmeasuring contest over one's intelligence. Which is what happens on TSR.

It saddens me when I read threads on here with people turning them into something more then they are. The system incredibly flawed in the sense, that the odds for achieving good ALs is directly proportional to quality of teaching one has had.

There is a reason why private schools exist, with parents paying top dollar on their children's education. They do it, so that their children can land the best jobs.

Fortunately, for kids now days - the internet means that they have a better chance of competing with their private school counter parts, as there are plenty of online tutorials to educate them.

But 10 years ago, different story. I doubt I would have got a 2.1 if I did my degree 30 years ago. Being stuck in the library trying to extract information from **** text books. Similarly, I did my ALs at a time when the internet was at its infancy, which probably affected my marks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone that says they do sales in a legit way is a clear liar. I know the house I've built on is on sand for sure. Your only as good as your last performance and its a daily one.

That goes with every profession.

In mine, you are only as good as the last project you worked on.
Which is why ALs should not be used as a way to have a dickmeasuring contest over one's intelligence. Which is what happens on TSR.

It saddens me when I read threads on here with people turning them into something more then they are. The system incredibly flawed in the sense, that the odds for achieving good ALs is directly proportional to quality of teaching one has had.

There is a reason why private schools exist, with parents paying top dollar on their children's education. They do it, so that their children can land the best jobs.

Fortunately, for kids now days - the internet means that they have a better chance of competing with their private school counter parts, as there are plenty of online tutorials to educate them.

But 10 years ago, different story. I doubt I would have got a 2.1 if I did my degree 30 years ago. Being stuck in the library trying to extract information from **** text books. Similarly, I did my ALs at a time when the internet was at its infancy, which probably affected my marks.

If you got them to invest in your education, you know i was an MPA so yeah you can get money out of pretty much anything and everything if you really want too. Its the poor planning and decision making which is ultimately the cost. The people who you on this planet should be the ones that are ultimately responsible for your upbringing if you have a problem they didn't put you in a private school, they are the "key decision makers". They should be confronted.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you got them to invest in your education, you know i was an MPA so yeah you can get money out of pretty much anything and everything if you really want too. Its the poor planning and decision making which is ultimately the cost.

Not everyone is born with a silver spoon up their backside
Not everyone is born with a silver spoon up their backside

If you have a house, you can get a lot out of it £££, a loan? There are so many payment plans for schools nowadays its ridiculous, you could sent up monthly installments that you can end up paying 20 years later. Its about not being selfish.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 92

I agree, although, if someone were to get into med/dent from a private school (as many of them do) if they were not able enough they would not pass the course.
I agree, although, if someone were to get into med/dent from a private school (as many of them do) if they were not able enough they would not pass the course.

yeah, but you are going off on a tangent.

We are talking about Alevels not UKAT, STEP or some other ****, which someone who studies sociology at a RG would never do. (yet brag)

And to be fair, anyone who gets a 2.1 in an academic rigorous subject from any uni - STEM, they should be proud of their achievement. Those subjects are notoriously hard. Reflects by their drop out rates.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 94
yeah, but you are going off on a tangent.

We are talking about Alevels not UKAT, STEP or some other ****, which someone who studies sociology at a RG would never do. (yet brag)

And to be fair, anyone who gets a 2.1 in an academic rigorous subject from any uni - STEM, they should be proud of their achievement. Those subjects are notoriously hard. Reflects by their drop out rates.

Oh yes, I know what you mean, I know someone who does GEOGRAPHY at sheffield and thinks his academic achievement is comparable to a the dents/medics at his uni. Its hilarious.
Although, those who study these types of courses at RGs are not better off than someone who didnt go to an RG - theyre pretty useless.
The point still stands though, I know people who scraped AAA from private schools and got into dental school and are close to being kicked out since they cannot retake the year and cant handle the course and so it makes no difference in the long run anyway if people get in from private schools.
I agree , but you would also get that at most universitys .. unless you go to oxbridge where the long established network may help you meet someone who knows someone ect .. who is looking for someone to do this that or the other.
Oh yes, I know what you mean, I know someone who does GEOGRAPHY at sheffield and thinks his academic achievement is comparable to a the dents/medics at his uni. Its hilarious.
Although, those who study these types of courses at RGs are not better off than someone who didnt go to an RG - theyre pretty useless.
The point still stands though, I know people who scraped AAA from private schools and got into dental school and are close to being kicked out since they cannot retake the year and cant handle the course and so it makes no difference in the long run anyway if people get in from private schools.

They are the one's who get onto grad schemes (RGs)

Don't get me started on app filtering for grad schemes.
Reply 97
They are the one's who get onto grad schemes (RGs)

Don't get me started on app filtering for grad schemes.

Are there grad schemes for degrees like geography? lol. As for grad schemes and applying for grad jobs, Its a reason why I chose to study dentistry. No BS like there is in other degrees. Applying for a job with little relevance to your degree, treated like a slave by your bosses, paid a salary no matter how good you are at your job. **** that for a laugh
Are there grad schemes for degrees like geography? lol. As for grad schemes and applying for grad jobs, Its a reason why I chose to study dentistry. No BS like there is in other degrees. Applying for a job with little relevance to your degree, treated like a slave by your bosses, paid a salary no matter how good you are at your job. **** that for a laugh

General grad schemes.

I highlighted the bit in bold because despite that these companies are ironically worshipped by these same people. I work for <insert company name here>

I have a lot of respect for dentists , I have had a lot of orthodontic work done.
Reply 99
General grad schemes.

I highlighted the bit in bold because despite that these companies are ironically worshipped by these same people. I work for <insert company name here>

I have a lot of respect for dentists , I have had a lot of orthodontic work done.

Thanks lol, too bad not many share the same opinion for dentists/docs. Then again the british public dont respect anybody lmfao.
Yeah its strange that people love to work for these companies. I was told by my maths teacher I should go into economics/finance and go into IB- true Id earn a tonne of money but Id also work for some ****er, and constantly brown nose my way up to the top whilst working 60+ hours a week. A lot of people on TSR dont realise there is no point earning a lot of money if you have no time in your life to enjoy it. They'll learn soon enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending