The Student Room Group

Mother in tears after being called a 'slut' by two customers for breastfeeding her so

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by xDave-
They were old people, what do you expect? 99% of old people are *****.

Show some respect for your elders foo'.

They grew up in a time when women dressed modestly and didn't expose their breast in public nevermind a dining area. :rolleyes:
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Maybe she's just very sensitive. But that definitely shouldn't be a normal reaction to being called names by random strangers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I've heard, women who have just had a baby can be more sensitive than normal. That could be an explanation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shady778
Maybe she's not a slut ( we don't know), but breastfeeding in public is very off putting, especially to parents who don't want their kids exposed to that kind of stuff and asking questions that could effect them maybe in the future (?) I don't know personally, if Costa is breastfeeding friendly, then she has the right to do so but others I guess have the right to express their thoughts of the actions, maybe not as badly as they put it though. Besides this is dailymail, so its not exactly the most credible and unbiased source of information out there, right?

Don't want their kids exposed to the natural way a baby feeds, and how they were fed but a few years ago? That is what breasts are for. Like or it not, most of us sucked on our mum's nipples for at least a little while. People really need to grow up and get over the idea that there is something gross about that. Breastfeeding is not a sexual activity. There is no need to shelter children from breastfeeding. What sort of questions might they ask that would be so dangerous? How would understanding how babies are fed affect kids badly in the future? :rolleyes:

EDIT: I think you would have more difficulty explaining to a child why it is that there is something wrong or to be ashamed of in a woman feeding her baby. As for "the future", that price of a culture which shames the healthy activity of breastfeeding, is fewer mothers choosing to breastfeed, which is less ideal for their and their baby's health.
(edited 9 years ago)
Disgusting attack on the woman. What do they expect her to do if her baby is hungry and what do they expect her to do if she cannot find a "suitable" place to do it? I'm sure if the mother is a slut then maybe one (or both) of that couple is a slut too seeing as I'm sure all women have breasts!

Don't like it? Don't look. It's not a spectator sport.
No matter whether you think breastfeeding in public is OK or not, there is no justification for such a hostile reaction. She was feeding her child, not standing on a table and screaming.
Original post by donutaud15
From what I've heard, women who have just had a baby can be more sensitive than normal. That could be an explanation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe. I'll never know cause I have never had a baby but crying was very unusual in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's wrong of them to call her names, make her cry, and make her feel like that. Even if a woman is being a slut, I don't think it's ever right to actually speak your thoughts aloud and call her one because it's none of your business, but getting your boobs out to feed you child? Yeah such a slut flashing your milky boobs to your infant...?

That aside, and speaking of breastfeeding in general, I understand the argument for "a child has to eat" and "it's a natural part of life and motherhood" blah blah, but I don't really agree with it. I find breastfeeding it public a very awkward thing that nobody wants to see. Let's be honest. Most people would see it and think something along the lines of "why is she doing this here? I don't want to see that".

If you're going to get your boob out to let your child suck on, I'd consider it more of an intimate thing that should be done in private. You wouldn't change your child's nappy in the middle of costa, you'd go to the bathroom because nobody wants to see that.

I know girls who have little babies and they don't like breastfeeding in public because they feel exposed and don't want to make others feel uncomfortable. They use breast pumps or formula on the odd mornings they know they will/could be out for the day in public.
Maybe some of you naive idiots aren't aware but shouting and hurling abuse at strangers can actually constitute a Section 5 public order offence. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can go around verbally assaulting whoever you see fit in a hostile and unfair manner.
(edited 9 years ago)
I wouldn't condone "abusing" the woman, there's a polite way of saying whatever you want to say.

Although, we live in a culture where it is not considered decent for breasts to be seen in public. Normally, women make every effort to cover their breasts in public. But I don't see why that concept suddenly disappears for so many, just because they're breastfeeding.

There are still ways to avoid showing your breasts in public, while ensuring that your child is fed; for example, by finding a designated mother and baby room or other private space, or by bottling breast milk from before hand. Plenty of women raise perfectly healthy children without ever showing their breasts in public, because abiding by that cultural decorum is a priority to them. They succeed because it's not an unreasonably difficult thing to do.

Perhaps breastfeeding public will be a necessity in exceptional situations, where there are no other alternatives. But for some women, displaying their breasts in public stops being a "last resort" when they're breastfeeding, and they're insistent upon doing it, even when it isn't a necessity, or when they could have avoided it quite easily. Sometimes it seems to be more a case of "making a statement" than anything else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BeanofJelly
Don't want their kids exposed to the natural way a baby feeds, and how they were fed but a few years ago? That is what breasts are for. Like or it not, most of us sucked on our mum's nipples for at least a little while. People really need to grow up and get over the idea that there is something gross about that. Breastfeeding is not a sexual activity. There is no need to shelter children from breastfeeding. What sort of questions might they ask that would be so dangerous? How would understanding how babies are fed affect kids badly in the future? :rolleyes:

EDIT: I think you would have more difficulty explaining to a child why it is that there is something wrong or to be ashamed of in a woman feeding her baby. As for "the future", that price of a culture which shames the healthy activity of breastfeeding, is fewer mothers choosing to breastfeed, which is less ideal for their and their baby's health.

I don't personally think there's anything wrong with it at all, but all im saying is that there are people out there( vast number) who potentially come from ethical or religious backgrounds, who may not want children their young children to have to witness it. I'm talking more about ages where they've past breastfeeding stage and are still too young to understand fully as to what is happening. ( maybe I sound a misogynist, but i'm really not trying to as i'm not )
I'm not really a breastfeeding fan, I hate the thought of it. Even so I think doing it in Costa or another restaurant is inappropriate, especially if you don't use a cover up. Thats just attention seeking.
Reply 31
Shouldn't have insulted her, but then i would say she over-reacted to the insult.

As others have said fair enough breast feeding is natural, but surely there was toilets or something she could have gone to. People are likely to be eating/drinking and i know i wouldn't want to see that if i was eating. Saw a good example above, going to the toilet is natural but you can't just do it anywhere so just because breast feeding is natural i don't see why you cant at least attempt to be discrete.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
I wouldn't condone "abusing" the woman, there's a polite way of saying whatever you want to say.

Although, we live in a culture where it is not considered decent for breasts to be seen in public. Normally, women make every effort to cover their breasts in public. But I don't see why that concept suddenly disappears for so many, just because they're breastfeeding.

There are still ways to avoid showing your breasts in public, while ensuring that your child is fed; for example, by finding a designated mother and baby room or other private space, or by bottling breast milk from before hand. Plenty of women raise perfectly healthy children without ever showing their breasts in public, because abiding by that cultural decorum is a priority to them. They succeed because it's not an unreasonably difficult thing to do.

Perhaps breastfeeding public will be a necessity in exceptional situations, where there are no other alternatives. But for some women, displaying their breasts in public stops being a "last resort" when they're breastfeeding, and they're insistent upon doing it, even when it isn't a necessity, or when they could have avoided it quite easily. Sometimes it seems to be more a case of "making a statement" than anything else.

Expressing milk beforehand is not always successful and it takes a lot more effort for a small amount of milk. By shaming women all that will happen is that less women will breastfeed and will just use formula which is much worse for the health of babies. Therefore, I think we should encourage breastfeeding and not let it be a shameful act in public. Also, I very, very rarely see women breastfeeding brazenly. Most people use a scarf or cardigan to partially cover and even if they don't you don't really see much and it's easy to look away. I'd much rather have that than a bawling, hungry baby crying out the restaurant/cafe.

I don't get why people have to be so anti-social. Breastfeeding is a healthy choice for babies who will be the future of our society. Why can't we accept it and leave them to it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
I'd rather see a woman breast feeding rather than feeding her child the crap stuff that comes in powders, at least it will grow up healthy. I applaud breast feeding for this reason, anyone who says it's wrong to do it in public, do you expect the baby to just wait until they go home? Don't be so ignorant.
Reply 34
Original post by Toaster Leavings
Expressing milk beforehand is not always successful and it takes a lot more effort for a small amount of milk. By shaming women all that will happen is that less women will breastfeed and will just use formula which is much worse for the health of babies. Therefore, I think we should encourage breastfeeding and not let it be a shameful act in public. Also, I very, very rarely see women breastfeeding brazenly. Most people use a scarf or cardigan to partially cover and even if they don't you don't really see much and it's easy to look away. I'd much rather have that then a bawling, hungry baby crying out the restaurant/cafe.

Your still ignoring the fact of why she didn't just go to a toilet or something.

Nobody is shaming women who breastfeed, and pretty much everyone has agreed people calling her a slut was wrong. However she didn't need to feed the child there, it will have inevitably made it un-comfortable for those around her and she had no need to do it so brazenly and in such an in-appropriate place.
If you really need to toilet holding it in is bad for you, should people just start weeing up the walls in restaurants because going to the toilet is also a completely natural thing to do?
Reply 35
A social experiment was conducted in the states with the exact same scenario on "What would you do"

Worth a watch

http://youtu.be/kWihxpKTaJo
Original post by Lord Jon
Disgusting attack on the woman. What do they expect her to do if her baby is hungry and what do they expect her to do if she cannot find a "suitable" place to do it? I'm sure if the mother is a slut then maybe one (or both) of that couple is a slut too seeing as I'm sure all women have breasts!

Don't like it? Don't look. It's not a spectator sport.

The general of the white knight brigade.

I thought there was a new breed of 'strong' 'independent' women who could hold their own?
Original post by JG1233
Your still ignoring the fact of why she didn't just go to a toilet or something.

Nobody is shaming women who breastfeed, and pretty much everyone has agreed people calling her a slut was wrong. However she didn't need to feed the child there, it will have inevitably made it un-comfortable for those around her and she had no need to do it so brazenly and in such an in-appropriate place.
If you really need to toilet holding it in is bad for you, should people just start weeing up the walls in restaurants because going to the toilet is also a completely natural thing to do?

Yeah but toileting is unsanitary and it needs to be plumbed away. That's not true of breastmilk is it? The comparison is retarded, sorry.
Reply 38
Original post by Toaster Leavings
Yeah but toileting is unsanitary and it needs to be plumbed away. That's not true of breastmilk is it? The comparison is retarded, sorry.

Not really, milk can leak from the breasts and end up on a table someone else then has to go and eat on?

I was never doubting the hygiene aspect, its the privacy aspect. Toilets aren't in public and are segregated for a reason. What if a man in public got his penis out and started weeing directly into a drain.... then there is no hygiene issues but i'm sure people wouldn't see that as ok.
(edited 9 years ago)

disgusting backward bigotry from that old couple, breast feeding is natural and legal in this countyr, i believe what they have done is contravene sex discrimination legislation under which this is covered, so she should report them to the police

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending