The Student Room Group

AQA's Questionable Marking

From reading quite a few of the threads on here i seem to come to the conclusion that AQA's marking is some what erratic; people here seem to have got lower marks than expected in languages, law and biology; it's blodge that's my problem...how exactly do they scale up coursework marks??

i know i got 57/60 raw marks in coursework but this seems to be 77/90 in UMS, is this correct?? i know this is still an A but my second module (module 3 cos of human blodge) i got a C in..this is totally insane as i've never got lower than an A in any of my module tests...

was it me on an off day or has AQA always been like this??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The coursework for biology on AQA has extremely high raw mark boundaries. It is 56/60 to get an A. I got 54/60 raw marks and only got 65/90, a B it's just ridiculous
Reply 2
surely this is nuts: 54/60 is 90%, but 65/90 is 72%
what about your other modules..the papers are marked out of 75 aren't they? i thought the raw mark grade boundary was 50/75??
Reply 3
My A2 Level Bio results are marked harshly i think. I could have bet £1000 that I would have got an A on Module 5 AQA A, but missed out. Definitely going for a remark and praying!
I feel hard done by with coursework,my tutor said i was getting a B (2 marks of an A),got my results and they have given me a low C.

I know that your grade can change when papers go to moderation but they have marked me down by about 15marks.Which had resulted in my overall grade being C 2 marks off a B.

Im trying to get it sorted out,what do you think my chances are?
lets all send them HATE MAIL* :mad: :p:

*only joking lovely aqa people who will hopefully give me a favorable remark :smile:
hUMPH I got two grades lower than predicted for my AS AQA french!! Two of the modules were sort of what I was expecting - a B and a D for the dreaded oral but the third module I got a U! Not even a high U! Even in my mocks I got a B/C standard for that paper. So either I completely misread the question and made an on the day mistake or they marked it wrong (I am hoping!)
anyway it has fudged up what I wanted to apply for at uni completely.
Reply 7
Has anybody heard of any remark success stories? losing out on hope here if ther gonna be strict...
Lucy_lt
From reading quite a few of the threads on here i seem to come to the conclusion that AQA's marking is some what erratic; people here seem to have got lower marks than expected in languages, law and biology; it's blodge that's my problem...how exactly do they scale up coursework marks??

i know i got 57/60 raw marks in coursework but this seems to be 77/90 in UMS, is this correct?? i know this is still an A but my second module (module 3 cos of human blodge) i got a C in..this is totally insane as i've never got lower than an A in any of my module tests...

was it me on an off day or has AQA always been like this??

could you possibly point me in the right direction for the AQA languages that got lower than expected?
Yes there marking is erratic, for history Unit 1 i got 92/100 unit 2 63/100 and unit 3 63/100 what is up with that.
I think I have also been stung by AQA - for A/S ICT, they gave me a U for the ICT1 module :eek: I got grade B's in the other two modules, and I answered every question as best I could on this one!
I think I may consider a remark.
Aren't coursework boundaries always high? I mean, after all, if you don't get 2/3 of the marks in the coursework... well... put it this way, I know no one who ever has.
can you just pay to have yours and yours alone remarked or...?
Lots of people seem to be in the same situation for AQA English.

people with one really low module grade and stuff

its always hard to know how youve done, but i tend to worry too much and always do better than i expect and always get high marks for essays, and then i suddenly get a C (made up of BCD). I know you cant always do as well as youd hoped, but it seems odd that id have two totally off days. I didnt think i done really really well, but then i was concerned about my gcses too and i got good A's....

i hope at least one of the grades is a mistake
Solicitor_1abee
can you just pay to have yours and yours alone remarked or...?

you cant for aqa, coursework has to be remarked as a group i think
do you know why that is?
Solicitor_1abee
do you know why that is?

im not sure, i think i just read it in the aqa remarking pdf on their site earlier

maybe its because its marked originally as a group, with some consideration given to the mark in relation to others in the group doing the same piece. they should get a nice spread i think.

i dont see what harm it could really do to mark it individually tho...
Reply 17
I got a Merit in German AEA (CCEA) yet got an E in AQA German Unit 5. Interesting.
Reply 18
Lucy_lt
surely this is nuts: 54/60 is 90%, but 65/90 is 72%
what about your other modules..the papers are marked out of 75 aren't they? i thought the raw mark grade boundary was 50/75??

For BYA1 I got 105/105, but for BYA2 I got 93/105....general is right, it is because it is easy to get the bulk of the marks on the coursework, but extremely difficult to get the top end marks. But on AQA biology it is especially difficult I mean, DRAW A BIOLOGICAL SPECIMEN, WHAT THE HELL?
Reply 19
I got told i got 60/90 for ICT coursework (A) by teacher, then when it comes to results i get 78/120 (C) :| im shocked:confused: :confused:

Latest