The Student Room Group

Audit internship to CF grad scheme

Wondering if you could give me some advice on getting into CF at a Big Four. I searched but found some stuff here and there but no clear answer.

I'm starting a summer internship at EY in Audit soon and I've realised that I'd much rather be in CF (I know I should give audit a go first and decide then/ I'm getting ahead of myself).

I was wondering how hard it would be to leverage my Audit internship a CF grad application. Assuming I get an audit grad offer 'internally' by 'switching' at EY or at the other 3. I am aware that EY's CF division is quite small and I don't think there is any CF at the office I'll be working at so I assume this might make it more difficult.

Finally, would it be easier to go into audit and try to move to CF once I qualify? I've heard that lots of 'newly-qualifieds' try to do this, so it sounds like it would be hard.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
First off - make sure you figure out what you actually want. Don't just go for CF as you think it happens to sound glamorous right now..

In your shoes, if I decided I wanted CF, I'd probably concentrate on landing the audit offer with EY as a back-up given you're a good way in to that process already. I'd then use that internship as experience in applying for CF roles at other firms. That way you have 3 attempts at CF, and if you don't make it then hopefully you've got an audit offer providing you impressed on the internship.

The Audit > CF route is reasonably well trodden, but it is tough to do due as there is a lot of competition.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice. That's what I was thinking.

I've always been more interested in investment rather than accountancy and happened to get the audit internship after failing to get an IB internship. CF (transaction services specifically?) seems to consist of what I like about IB with less ridiculous hours (albeit less pay) and a similar exposure/experience.

It was mentioned in my interview that I'll probably get some experience of other sectors too (depending on when they need more people) shame there isn't a CF presence at my office.
Reply 3
Would applying for CF internships after completing my audit internship (then taking a year out) be a viable option?
Reply 4
Original post by Tangente
Would applying for CF internships after completing my audit internship (then taking a year out) be a viable option?

I don't think that's a good idea if you manage to land an offer straight after graduation. Better to be a year in to your ACA training contract in audit, then have a year out with no guarantee of even landing a CF position IMO.
Reply 5
Original post by GVTTRIDGE
Thanks again. The rationale was just that it would be easier to land a CF internship than a CF grad position or switching after qualification but I don't even know if this is the case so I definitely think you're right.

In my experience, it's much easier to get a full on grad job at a lot of places than it is to get an internship, simply because they take on many more grads than interns. I agree with the above, that you should perform as well as possible on your internship and hopefully secure an audit offer at EY. Then with that in the bag, make your applications to CF at the other firms.
Reply 6
I think you're running the risk here of sounding very ungrateful that you have an audit position with one of the best global professional services firms.

Complete your audit internship first. No point jumping the gun and looking to do CF without even completing your internship. Once that's done or almost done, then consider your options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I think the key phrase is you need to be 'inside the tent pissing out, not outside the tent pissing in'. Partners will not be interested during the interview about you wanting to be in a different service line, they'll want to see commitment to the service line that you've chosen.

EY is a global organisation with lots of options. Once you're in, leverage yourself towards CF or any other department, you may even decide to use the skills you've acquired and work somewhere else. Yet for now you've been given a fantastic opportunity to showcase yourself for this internship, don't lose it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest