The Student Room Group

Arsey's Edexcel FP2 S14 Solutions UK (R) and IAL

Here are my solutions. I haven't checked them so if you notice any errors let me know and I will edit this post to include corrections... read this post before pointing out an error (if there are any)

I thought the paper was reasonable apart from that evil part b) question. I have no idea what the examiners were thinking with that. It should have been worded as prove that (u-3)^2 + v^2 = 25 which would have made it a lot easier.

No idea about boundaries. I thought overall it was slightly harder than standard, so a little lower than last year would be my guess

I have added my solutions to the R paper, I cannot be arsed to check them so if you notice any errors let me know. I thought it was quite a bit harder than UK spec.

I have now added the IAL F2 solutions. It appears the spec is identical to FP2 judging by this :confused: I thought this was a fairly simple paper. I did the solutions very very quickly in about 30min, so if you do spot errors let me know.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone think they got 6b fully correct?
Session 100' 90' 80' 70' 60' 50' 40'
Jun-14 74 66 60 54 49 43 36
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you very much. For question 6b, do you think that simply doing (u3)(u-3), then squaring it, then adding v2v^2 and simplifying to 2525 is a valid approach?
Original post by Arsey

Are you planning on doing this for M1 mate?
Reply 5
Original post by mahatma ghandi
Are you planning on doing this for M1 mate?

yes but I haven't done them yet
Easily lost 14 marks
Original post by Arsey

Great, appreciate it
Reply 8
Original post by Halleluhwah
Thank you very much. For question 6b, do you think that simply doing (u3)(u-3), then squaring it, then adding v2v^2 and simplifying to 2525 is a valid approach?

they way it was worded it shouldn't be no.

however, given it was a 4 mark question I think that might have been their intention.

Someone made a mistake allowing that question to go out in that form.
How much marks would you lose if your method was all correct but you changed the final answer? Like getting a=3 then writing 3sin3x instead of 3cos3x?
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions. I haven't checked them so if you notice any errors let me know and I will edit this post to include corrections... read this post before pointing out an error (if there are any)

I thought the paper was reasonable apart from that evil part b) question. I have no idea what the examiners were thinking with that. It should have been worded as prove that (u-3)^2 + v^2 = 25 which would have made it a lot easier.

No idea about boundaries. I thought overall it was slightly harder than standard, so a little lower than last year would be my guess

On the 1st order differential you appear to have dropped a ^3 at the end, I'm hoping this is just a mistake and I haven't missed something?
Reply 11
If you make one slip in a question but carry on with exactly the same method to get an answer at the end, do you lose one or two marks, since you don't get the accurate solution at the end and you made a mistake in the working.

Also, there's an error in question 7... should be cx^3 and 6b, should be k=5
Reply 12
Original post by recurring500
66-a*
60-a
54-b
49-c
43-d
36-e

FP2 Jun-13 75 70 65 59 53 47 41
FP2 Jun-12 74 69 64 57 50 44 38
FP2 Jun-11 74 68 62 55 48 41 35
FP2 Jun-10 74 67 60 53 46 39 33
FP2 Jun-09 74 66 58 50 42 34 26

those are the past boundaries.

I think it will be higher than your guess, yours would be 72 for 100ums, nah, cannot see it. 60 for an A would make it a 7 or 8 step between each 10ums I would have thought.
are all of these answers correct ?? Think i got the same as you for question 3. hate transformation questions so i completely screwed q6 up.
Reply 14
Original post by veveveve0
On the 1st order differential you appear to have dropped a ^3 at the end, I'm hoping this is just a mistake and I haven't missed something?

yes of course, you are right thanks - I will update the solutions.
Original post by Arsey
they way it was worded it shouldn't be no.

however, given it was a 4 mark question I think that might have been their intention.

Someone made a mistake allowing that question to go out in that form.

I think this is a valid approach. The maths works and results in the desired result, I don't see a problem with it. Even if the result hadn't been given, if you had said consider (u-3)^2 + v^2, we shall show this is = 25, that would have still worked, though obviously it would be much harder to spot :tongue: .
Reply 16
Original post by jcarz
If you make one slip in a question but carry on with exactly the same method to get an answer at the end, do you lose one or two marks, since you don't get the accurate solution at the end and you made a mistake in the working.

Also, there's an error in question 7... should be cx^3 and 6b, should be k=5

I put k = 5 :confused:
Original post by Arsey

Me :smile:)))))
Arsey, on question 7b) when you integrate '-6' I accidentally integrated '6' instead and so my overall answer is wrong. How many marks do you think I would I get? :biggrin:

Thank you so much for what you do! :biggrin:
Original post by Arsey

Rough estimate on when you will be posting them? Now, tonight, tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest