The Student Room Group

Geography/Environmental Science 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ummm...
Hey! What are your predicted grades?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't really have accurate predictions think I'm given after AS grades and mock exams next year. How about you?
Original post by iceangel8
Don't really have accurate predictions think I'm given after AS grades and mock exams next year. How about you?

Glad I'm not the only one with no real idea yet about grades . Have you been to look at Leeds?
Original post by social outcast
Glad I'm not the only one with no real idea yet about grades . Have you been to look at Leeds?

Sorry for the delayed reply :tongue: No but I'll be going in September have you?
Original post by iceangel8
Sorry for the delayed reply :tongue: No but I'll be going in September have you?

I havent either, visited the city loads ( love the city though)i because my relatives live that direction but havent visited the uni yet.
Reply 44
Original post by BWCW
You have all made a very sensible choice of subject, I applaud you. :yep:

I applied for BSc Geography for 2014 entry - if you have questions about Cambridge, Leeds, Exeter (particularly those 3 since I visited them...), Reading or Sussex, shoot me your questions! Not as helpful as a current undergrad I know, but I might be able to impart some wisdom. :smile:

Yoo, I'm applying for Geography for 2015 entry and I'm interested in applying to Leeds and Exeter. Could you tell me how flexible the course is like? I'm studying maths, geo and chem so my subjects suit BSc more but I really enjoy human geography as well.
Sent my application off on Monday, applied for Geography at Oxford Brookes, Loughborough, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Newcastle. Predicted grades BBB although I got BCD in my AS Levels :s-smilie:
Hoping to go to Oxford Brookes or Plymouth!
Do I semi-qualify for this thread because I applied for Environmental Geoscience?
I'm applying for geography and one environmental science course (Nottingham) :smile:

For geography I'm applying to Gloucestershire, Derby, Nottingham Trent and Keele.

I do geography, biology and English language. I'm predicted ABC.

I hate all my other subjects :laugh:

I want to do Bsc geography. I don't enjoy human as much as physical.
Reply 48
Original post by carinaly
Yoo, I'm applying for Geography for 2015 entry and I'm interested in applying to Leeds and Exeter. Could you tell me how flexible the course is like? I'm studying maths, geo and chem so my subjects suit BSc more but I really enjoy human geography as well.

Hiya - good choices! I applied to BSc programmes at both, and I did no sciences at A-level, so provided you have the right predicted grades you'll definitely get offers!
In terms of flexibility, I was under the impression that Exeter was a lot more flexible than Leeds - in first year it's quite restrictive everywhere, but there's a bit of choice. By the time you got to third year at Exeter, I don't think there were any compulsory modules! Both of them give you plenty of scope to study outside geography though, mostly to take human modules, but also across the uni. At Exeter, for example, if it was your thing, if you take enough language modules you get 'with proficiency in [language]' added to your degree title.
Have you looked at their course outlines? The Exeter one is particularly good, it gives an entire breakdown of every single module.
Sorry that's a bit of a rubbish explanation, ask if there's anything more specific!
Reply 49
Anyone applying for BA rather than BSc? I'm applying to Birmingham, Nottingham, Southampton, Loughborough and Liverpool all BA accept for Loughborough which only does BSc. My predicted grades are AAA but I doubt I'll realise those grades. Is anyone else applying to one of those unis?
Hey!
I've applied for BA geography at oxford, exeter, lancaster and UEA and BSc geography at loughborough
got an unconditional offer from uea so far but still waiting for all the others
I've applied for the BA at Exeter, Durham, Nottingham, Kings London and Newcastle, waiting on offers now (or rejections!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by BWCW
Hiya - good choices! I applied to BSc programmes at both, and I did no sciences at A-level, so provided you have the right predicted grades you'll definitely get offers!
In terms of flexibility, I was under the impression that Exeter was a lot more flexible than Leeds - in first year it's quite restrictive everywhere, but there's a bit of choice. By the time you got to third year at Exeter, I don't think there were any compulsory modules! Both of them give you plenty of scope to study outside geography though, mostly to take human modules, but also across the uni. At Exeter, for example, if it was your thing, if you take enough language modules you get 'with proficiency in [language]' added to your degree title.
Have you looked at their course outlines? The Exeter one is particularly good, it gives an entire breakdown of every single module.
Sorry that's a bit of a rubbish explanation, ask if there's anything more specific!

I'm predicted ABB, so I'm a bit skeptical as to whether I should even give Leeds and Exeter a shot. May I ask where else you applied to? They're both really great for geography and Leeds' year in industry is really attractive. But I agree, Exeter does seem more flexible than Leeds. I love languages, I would definitely pick up language modules! I haven't actually checked their course because they have several at different campuses so I'm quite confused haha. Your explanation was very insightful :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by carinaly
I'm predicted ABB, so I'm a bit skeptical as to whether I should even give Leeds and Exeter a shot. May I ask where else you applied to? They're both really great for geography and Leeds' year in industry is really attractive. But I agree, Exeter does seem more flexible than Leeds. I love languages, I would definitely pick up language modules! I haven't actually checked their course because they have several at different campuses so I'm quite confused haha. Your explanation was very insightful :smile:

Hmm... I think Exeter is AAA-AAB? Leeds differs - the BSc offer is usually lower than the BA offer, I think the BSc is AAB and the BA is AAA. If you meet the criteria (if you're from a disadvantaged background at all), you should consider applying to the Access to Leeds scheme - if you put them as your firm and complete a few 'preparing for uni' type activites, I think they lower your offer by 2 grades?
One of them - your favourite of the two - might be worth a try if your other choices are at/lower than your predicted grades.

I applied to Cambridge, Sussex and Reading as well. :smile: Do you have any others you want to apply to?

Ah, there we go, Exeter is good then! I mean at Leeds you can do language modules too, I just thought the whole 'proficiency in...' thing was pretty cool. Yeah, they've got the Cornwall campus too - in Cornwall they only do the BA/BSc programme, which I would have loved because it meant you didn't have to choose between the BA and BSc and it meant you were definitely getting a mix (that suited my interests, it might not suit yours!) I didn't apply there in the end because Cornwall is so far from home for me - even Exeter was too far to be fair!
Reply 54
Original post by SophR96
Sent my application off on Monday, applied for Geography at Oxford Brookes, Loughborough, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Newcastle. Predicted grades BBB although I got BCD in my AS Levels :s-smilie:
Hoping to go to Oxford Brookes or Plymouth!

I applied to Portsmouth and Newcastle but for Environmental Science. Got an unconditional offer from Portsmouth last week, nothing but an acknowledgement from Newcastle yet though
I applied to York, Nottingham, Leeds, Birmingham and Southampton, got an offer from York already but still waiting for the rest!
I am applying to UEA Geography and international development, York Human geography and the environment, Southampton, Swansea and Leicester all for BA geography.

I am predicted at the moment ABB but I want AAB because one of the B's is geography and I think that doesn't look very good. Trying to persuade my teachers who are both head and deputy head of the sixth form but they are very nice so hoping for a change. Will find out this Friday.

As for the unis I need AAB/ABB for Southampton, ABB for all the others apart from Swansea which is BBB/ABB. Getting nervous about it now having retaken the year I think I will get 3 out of 5 offers. Rejections from Southampton (which I don't really mind) and York because it only has 20 spaces.

Good luck to everyone else I think I am going to be applying soon. Does anyone know if you can apply before the references are dished out?
Hi, congratulations on your offer from York! That's my first choice too, I was wondering if you could tell me how long it took you to get an offer after sending it off? thanks, alice
Original post by alicepeters1010
Hi, congratulations on your offer from York! That's my first choice too, I was wondering if you could tell me how long it took you to get an offer after sending it off? thanks, alice

heyy it came three days after submitting :smile:
Sent my application off yesterday for Geography BSc at Durham, Exeter, Lancaster, UCL and Edinburgh!!

Here comes the nervous wait for offers!!

Quick Reply

Latest