The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Planning to go to an open day alone - will I be okay?

So I booked a place to go to the Manchester uni open day on 21st June but have no one to go with (no friends that are interested) and didn't want to take my parents just so that I'm not influenced by what they want me to do and have some space to think for myself on the day. I was just about to book an early train ticket but thought I could do with some company - should I just take my dad instead?
Original post by kif
So I booked a place to go to the Manchester uni open day on 21st June but have no one to go with (no friends that are interested) and didn't want to take my parents just so that I'm not influenced by what they want me to do and have some space to think for myself on the day. I was just about to book an early train ticket but thought I could do with some company - should I just take my dad instead?

I went to loads of open days by myself, even stayed 2 nights at Oxford alone. I loved it!
You'll be fine, there is lots to do. My advice is to ask as many questions as you want, and get the most out of the day
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Of course you will be ok! I went to all of the open days by myself and I was fine. Met a few people who came alone too. I took a train at 5:45am from London to Birmingham. It was all good :smile:
You don't have to take anyone at all. As long as you make sure you have access to directions etc, and any important information then you should be fine. That's the case whether you're alone or with a group of people. If you're really uncomfortable at the idea of going alone though, then sure, take the less judgmental parent (I'm not saying that in a horrible way, I took my mum because my dad would've found fault with everything). You do need to think for yourself but another person's perspective allows them to ask questions and consider things in ways you never would have thought of.
Enjoy the open day, I hope it turns out well!
Reply 4
Original post by mo_masquerade
Of course you will be ok! I went to all of the open days by myself and I was fine. Met a few people who came alone too. I took a train at 5:45am from London to Birmingham. It was all good :smile:

Woww that sounds exciting! I'm definitely going on my own now thanks for the reassurance guys!
Reply 5
Original post by sliceofcake
You don't have to take anyone at all. As long as you make sure you have access to directions etc, and any important information then you should be fine. That's the case whether you're alone or with a group of people. If you're really uncomfortable at the idea of going alone though, then sure, take the less judgmental parent (I'm not saying that in a horrible way, I took my mum because my dad would've found fault with everything). You do need to think for yourself but another person's perspective allows them to ask questions and consider things in ways you never would have thought of.
Enjoy the open day, I hope it turns out well!

Thanks for the advice
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kif
Thanks for the advice I think I'm just going to go alone as I'm typically quite independent anyway but was a bit afraid because I don't see myself as particularly streetwise. Needless to say I've finally realized its time to take some risks, get out of my comfort zone and go on an adventure by myself if that's what it takes!:smile:

I understand, I'm the same! I try to embrace opportunities to be more independent, good for you :smile: Get the way to walk from the station or whatever to the campus, or if there's any transportation arranged by the university from where you are; when I went to Nottingham's open day they ran buses from the train station. I think as long as you know where you're going you'll be fine!
Reply 7
You sound like such a wuss..it had to be said. Some people travel to a different country for open days, interviews and the lot. Tbh little things like that will help you become a more independent. Do make sure your phone is fully charged and you are clear on how to get there and back and you have enough money. Not only for food, but for an extra fare in case you miss your train or something or have to get a bus from the train station to the university. Good luck and enjoy your open day...you'll be fine, just try not to worry. Take the opportunity to ask as many questions at the uni as you can.
You'll be absolutely fine. Lots of people go to open days alone - I went to several alone back in the day. If you get lost / need some help / just want to chat to a current student there will be lots of student ambassadors (in purple hoodies) stationed around campus to help you out :h:
Reply 9
Have you received the open day timetable yet? I'm booked in for the one on the 20th :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending