The Student Room Group

Pirlo will destroy Henderson/Gerrard

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jam278
Gerrard wasn't the problem.

Rooney was. The integration between the CMs and the AMs were a problem because Rooney doesn't offer enough drive there. Gerrard should play deeper while the CMs

But England have their version of Pirlo/Scholes. His name is Gerrard. He's not a simple possession retainer but he is a deep lying playmaker, he relies on releasing players early with quick passing, he's essentially an inferior Xabi Alonso. He probably gets tips from Xabi on how to play the role. Liverpool originally played a possession style under rodgers, but he realised that their potential is better if they played more into space and quick counter attacks with the pace of Sturridge+Sterling and quick interchanges with Suarez.

Agree with dropping Rooney though. Disagree with the three in midfield. For all the glitter that Barkley offers you can see in his play that he is still too raw. He tries to shoot whenever he has the time and space rather than thread a through ball. He's probably the best in the team at driving into spaces in our midfield. Well between him and Sterling anyway.

Scholes has the ability to do short passes (quick tika taka passing) and long passes, he would feel at home if he played in the 2008-2011 Barca side, that's how good his passing skills were. Gerrard has the great ability of providing accurate long passes as well, but isn't so good at the quick, short one-two passes. But anyways, you don't need that type of player, if you're team profile is based on a quick counter-attacking style of football, like the one Liverpool has. Players like Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling will run and run.

Barkley, although he's young (that's not even a bad thing. Look at Ozil 4 years ago, smashed it in the World Cup, and moved to Real Madrid straight after), he has that raw talent. He has that spark about him. Whenever he gets the ball, he thinks about attacking, instead of passing it sideways like most do. Apart from Lampard at his peak, who else used to have the confidence to take shots outside of the box like Barkley has? He must improve his decision-making skills for sure, but he created the chance for Lambert to score the other day, and he has created more chances tonight as well. He runs at defenders and they're scared of him. Alongside Sterling, Sturridge and if only Walcott was fit, England would have had an incredibly fast team, for quick counter attacks.
Reply 21
Original post by AnharM
Scholes has the ability to do short passes (quick tika taka passing) and long passes, he would feel at home if he played in the 2008-2011 Barca side, that's how good his passing skills were. Gerrard has the great ability of providing accurate long passes as well, but isn't so good at the quick, short one-two passes. But anyways, you don't need that type of player, if you're team profile is based on a quick counter-attacking style of football, like the one Liverpool has. Players like Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling will run and run.

Barkley, although he's young (that's not even a bad thing. Look at Ozil 4 years ago, smashed it in the World Cup, and moved to Real Madrid straight after), he has that raw talent. He has that spark about him. Whenever he gets the ball, he thinks about attacking, instead of passing it sideways like most do. Apart from Lampard at his peak, who else used to have the confidence to take shots outside of the box like Barkley has? He must improve his decision-making skills for sure, but he created the chance for Lambert to score the other day, and he has created more chances tonight as well. He runs at defenders and they're scared of him. Alongside Sterling, Sturridge and if only Walcott was fit, England would have had an incredibly fast team, for quick counter attacks.

I agree with Scholes vs Gerrard. I said that Gerrard fits one style of play atm, which is why he suddenly has done better after Liverpool changed to a counter attacking side that releases early. It uses his passing ability and he's OK enough defensively for the role.

Ozil 4 years ago was running things for Schalke. He got 9 goals and 17 assists in 31 league appearances for Schalke. Barkley has 6 goals and 0 assists this whole season in 32 league appearances... there's no comparing the two just because they were relative unknowns in world football. By the end of the world cup, you won't see Madrid going in for Barkley like they went for Ozil despite having Kaka on the team who costed 60M.

Barkley does have that innate ability but he's too raw atm to just put in the side, he's going to look lost. Guess it's better than using Rooney as the no.10 but I'd just go 4-3-3. Barkley seems like he needs too much nurturing time to just risk in a world cup for no reason.
Reply 22
Original post by jam278

Ozil 4 years ago was running things for Schalke. He got 9 goals and 17 assists in 31 league appearances for Schalke. Barkley has 6 goals and 0 assists this whole season in 32 league appearances... there's no comparing the two just because they were relative unknowns in world football. By the end of the world cup, you won't see Madrid going in for Barkley like they went for Ozil despite having Kaka on the team who costed 60M.

Barkley does have that innate ability but he's too raw atm to just put in the side, he's going to look lost. Guess it's better than using Rooney as the no.10 but I'd just go 4-3-3. Barkley seems like he needs too much nurturing time to just risk in a world cup for no reason.

Obviously not comparing Barkley to Ozil, he doesn't come close to Ozil. But everyone would argue that Ozil was also young, so why not give Barkley a shot? Hear my argument. We have no-one better in that No. 10 position, possibly Sterling could play in that role, but I'd like to see Sterling as a winger. Barkley is better than Rooney in that position, in fact, Rooney is utter **** in the No. 10 role. Lallana can play in AM, but plays as an inside winger as well, and Wilshere is a CM more than an AM. Barkley's natural position is AM, he is perfect for the role, and if it improves England's attack vastly, while making our defence a little bit weaker, then Hodgson needs to take that chance.
Henderson has to be the one to start alongside SG. Huge energy(v important in the heat of Brazil), defensively responsible and a good passer of the ball. Yes Barkley could take the game by the scruff but he can't play in a 2 alongside Gerrard with no defensive responsibility as he'd leave him exposed and with his legs he'd in trouble. Wilshere is another option but in my opinion he operates better further forward and has only recently come back from injury. (he got shredded against LFC in the 5-1 defeat in a 2 with Arteta).

I'd love to see us play a diamond with Sterling in the 10 as he's done this season, has a creative spark, electric pace and can also drop back and press Pirlo to try limit his control of the game, which you can't stop completely especially in the climate where 90 minutes of pressing is impossible and Pirlo will inevitably get time and space.
Reply 24
To Englands advantage, Pirlo struggled a lot in brazil last year tbf, he couldn't handle the heat. Maybe he would struggle this time if you can man mark him. Remember if you're trying to man mark somebody, they'll have to move about to get rid of the marker, if this was a clear battle between Rooney and Pirlo fitness wise e.g. there is one clear winner. So it is possible to get him out the game that way. But he's not the only threat.
Reply 25
i don't see how pirlo will "destroy" two of the most consistent premier league midfielders this season.
he is one of the greatest ever midfielders, but he isn't invincible.
he may be better than them, yes, but pirlo is only one person.

plus, england's attack is much better now - there's no reason why we can't top this group.
have a little faith guys; if you support england, bloody support them instead of moaning that we're probably gonna fail...
To sum up the thread: united fans showing their frustration that Liverpool players form the backbone of the national team.
Reply 27
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
i don't see how pirlo will "destroy" two of the most consistent premier league midfielders this season.

plus, england's attack is much better now - there's no reason why we can't top this group.
have a little faith guys; if you support england, bloody support them instead of moaning that we're probably gonna fail...

Gerrard wasn't consistent, he had a great half season january onwards but was terrible.

Pirlo is only one person but their whole squad is better than ours. It's not even an argument to be made here.

England's attack isn't much better, there's still a clear lack of cohesion, the only thing we have now are better players but since we've actually experimented with the team we haven't looked like we're going to do well this world cup. I still think we can get out the groups and make the quarters, but I'm starting to understand why people think we may not get out the groups now.
Reply 28
Original post by jam278
Gerrard wasn't consistent, he had a great half season january onwards but was terrible.

Pirlo is only one person but their whole squad is better than ours. It's not even an argument to be made here.

England's attack isn't much better, there's still a clear lack of cohesion, the only thing we have now are better players but since we've actually experimented with the team we haven't looked like we're going to do well this world cup. I still think we can get out the groups and make the quarters, but I'm starting to understand why people think we may not get out the groups now.

nah, gerrard had a good season by his standards, especially if you take in to account his adaptation to an unfamiliar role.
i don't disagree, italy have a better squad, but i believe we have certain players on good form that can tip the scales.
whatever happens, i just hope it's a good game to make the world cup better :smile:

the lack of cohesion is because hodgson keeps changing his attacking players - he needed to pick a front 4 (sturridge, rooney, sterling, AOC/lallana imo) and get them as much time playing together as possible.
obviously it is also down to the players though; they should be able to link up with them being top level footballers.

tbh, i wouldn't be shocked if we progressed from the groups, but i also wouldn't be shocked if we didnt.
i think our group stage performance will be very reliant on how uruguay plays.
if they do well like the last world cup, i don't see us beating them overall, and it's unlikely we'll beat italy overall anyway.
Reply 29
nah, gerrard had a good season by his standards, especially if you take in to account his adaptation to an unfamiliar role.
i don't disagree, italy have a better squad, but i believe we have certain players on good form that can tip the scales.
whatever happens, i just hope it's a good game to make the world cup better :smile:

the lack of cohesion is because hodgson keeps changing his attacking players - he needed to pick a front 4 (sturridge, rooney, sterling, AOC/lallana imo) and get them as much time playing together as possible.
obviously it is also down to the players though; they should be able to link up with them being top level footballers.

tbh, i wouldn't be shocked if we progressed from the groups, but i also wouldn't be shocked if we didnt.
i think our group stage performance will be very reliant on how uruguay plays.
if they do well like the last world cup, i don't see us beating them overall, and it's unlikely we'll beat italy overall anyway.

Na that's ridiculous. Gerrard was poor until the second half of the season when he went into the deeper role, people were talking about dropping him for a Lucas Henderson partnership on the Liverpool thread and we remember his first few games in the deeper role(against Villa e.g.) and he was terrible.

He's essentially got a bunch of random people to play together in attack, thrown everything at the wall and see if it sticks. Why e.g. has Shaw been picked or Barkley been picked, when they've barely played a game or two together? It's not even as if they're the best options there either.

You're essentially agreeing with me that our attack hasn't gelled, if it ain't gelled now, why would it have gelled for the Italy game?

I don't know how this would go. But Italy will definitely top the group. As long as we don't lose our first game I think we'll be fine. If we lose the first game then it's over for us, I'd have rather had Costa Rica first tbh. At least we have points on the board and can put pressure on the others. That's why Uruguay have the advantage over us.
Reply 30
Original post by jam278
Na that's ridiculous. Gerrard was poor until the second half of the season when he went into the deeper role, people were talking about dropping him for a Lucas Henderson partnership on the Liverpool thread and we remember his first few games in the deeper role(against Villa e.g.) and he was terrible.

He's essentially got a bunch of random people to play together in attack, thrown everything at the wall and see if it sticks. Why e.g. has Shaw been picked or Barkley been picked, when they've barely played a game or two together? It's not even as if they're the best options there either.

You're essentially agreeing with me that our attack hasn't gelled, if it ain't gelled now, why would it have gelled for the Italy game?

I don't know how this would go. But Italy will definitely top the group. As long as we don't lose our first game I think we'll be fine. If we lose the first game then it's over for us, I'd have rather had Costa Rica first tbh. At least we have points on the board and can put pressure on the others. That's why Uruguay have the advantage over us.

true, but you can see how he improved and maintained his performance one he got used to his new role
those people talking about dropping him were delirious; you can't expect a player like gerrard who has been in an attacking-ish role his entire career to suddenly be amazing in a defensive position instantly.

isn't that what a national side is though (bar spain)?
just random players from a variety of club playing alongside others they may not even know?
that's where the manager comes in - it is his job to ensure that his team gels well and provides a decent level of chemistry
he can't change individual player quality, but the best managers can get the most out of teams consisting of players not familiar with each other.

it wont gel by the italy game, however we still have players like sturridge that can win us that match if they play well.

i don't think people should underestimate uruguay though.
they got very, very far in the last world cup (albeit with suarez cheating), and this time around they have one of the world's top 3 players (at the moment) on their side.

it's an amazing group; literally anything could happen
shame it has to be england's group though :/

To be honest it's nice to see England fans being more realistic about their chances as apposed to 'England are going to dominate Italy they are a far superior side'

That said, Italy have had a fair few injuries and personally I think we (Italy) are in the worst form we've been in years. That and the heat...

Uruguay will finish top, they will have a major advantage climate wise.
Reply 32
Original post by redferry
To be honest it's nice to see England fans being more realistic about their chances as apposed to 'England are going to dominate Italy they are a far superior side'

That said, Italy have had a fair few injuries and personally I think we (Italy) are in the worst form we've been in years. That and the heat...

it's nice to see realism, but it isn't nice to see pessimism.
the premier league has proven this year that england do have some excellent players.

i'm not overwhelmed or too impressed by italy
with all due respect, i think you were relatively fortunate to reach the euro final, and spain kind of displayed the gulf in quality tbh.
you have some excellent players, but i definitely think england could win

lets not forget that pirlo "dominated" england, yet italy still need to win on penalties.

exactly, that is why i don't understand some people dismissing uruguay - they have some excellent players and they're on their home continent
the only thing they lack is a decent defence, but as liverpool showed this season, sometimes a strong attack can make up for it.
the premier league has proven this year that england do have some excellent players.

with all due respect, i think you were relatively fortunate to reach the euro final, and spain kind of displayed the gulf in quality tbh.

lets not forget that pirlo "dominated" england, yet italy still need to win on penalties.

exactly, that is why i don't understand some people dismissing uruguay - they have some excellent players and they're on their home continent
the only thing they lack is a decent defence, but as liverpool showed this season, sometimes a strong attack can make up for it.

The way I see it is we are screwed since montolivos broken leg, I'm so convinced we will lose to England that I'm not watching the match Saturday. I feel well probably have a repeat of last world cup where we lost to New Zealand, but instead lose to Costa Rica.

We only got so far in the Euros due to the classic Italy tactic of being awesome at defending...
Stfu mate!

Stevie gerrard gerrard
hes big and hes ****ing hard
he'll smack the ball 40 years
stevie gerrard gerrard

here's to you jordan henderon, brendan loves you more than you will know oooooooooooooooooh
so god please jordan henderson, kenny always said that you could play, the liverpool way

stevie gerrard is our captain
stevie gerrard is a red
stevie gerrard plays for liverpool
a scouser born and bred

we are liverpool tra la la la la
we're the best football team in the land! Yes we are

we've won it 5 times, we've won it 5 times! You manc bastards we've won it 5 times

all round the fields of anfield ROAD!
Where once we watched the king kenny play and could he play!
Stevie heighway on the wing
we had dreams and songs to sing
about the glory, round the fields of anfield road!

Berty mae said to bill shanky have you heard of the northbank highbury
shanks said no, i dont think so, have you heard of the anfield aggro!

Ooooooh campione, the one and only, we're liverpool!
They say our days our numbered we're not famous anymore
scousers rule the country like we've always done before
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35

Surely since Italy is hotter than England, they would have a major advantage climate wise.

Uruguay were in the same group as spain in the confeds and spain came first too. It's going to be down to quality, not who can take the climate the best. If anything Italy would do the best because they're the best in possession out of the group, so would force other teams to chase the ball.

Italy were in bad form before the euros as well and lost 3-0 to Russia and they made the final. Never underestimate Italy. Italy will top the group if I'm being honest. It's just a matter of who goes with them.
Reply 36

The pessimism comes from the fact that we have an English David Moyes in charge of our team.

I wouldn't call the players we have excelllent, you see the likes of Barkley, do you see him taking signing a 4 year contract to Real Madrid in the summer. Do you see that with Lallana, do you see any of the top european clubs outside England interested in our players besides Wayne Rooney?

There's your answer. Our team gets by because we're good in the qualifiers and get out the group stages of competitions and into the quarters, this usually is enough to get yourself into the top 8.
with all due respect, i think you were relatively fortunate to reach the euro final, and spain kind of displayed the gulf in
quality tbh.

This bit is nonsense. Sorry luke I like you but they were not fortunate in anyway to reach the final. First game they were the better team vs spain until Torres came on, they were poor in their second game, the third game they won fairly comfortably vs Ireland.

If you're telling me that Italy were fortunate to beat England then you're deluded. That game was one sided but it went to pens.
If you're telling me that Italy were fortunate to beat Germany then you're deluded again.

The final involved their best defender being injured, their link up man in Cassano being injured and their substitute in Thiago Motta getting injured in 2mins, leaving Italy down to 10 men, with their main attacking link up man gone, without their best defender at the time. That's why they lost 4-0. Although he also got the tactics wrong by playing 4atb instead of 3atb. They played 3atb vs spain and both times they drew, it was only when they changed to 4atb when they were smashed 4-0.

If you look at the confeds cup, where they took it to pens against spain, that was a fairer reflection of their quality.

Did you watch the match, England taking it to pens was just as much of a fluke as the Chelsea Bayern match in 2012. If they knew how to finish that game they'd have been out of sight, England had no attacking threat whatsoever and were hanging on for dear life defensively. In that game their most used pass was Joe Hart to Andy Carroll.

Because Uruguay have good attacking players, one decent defender and thats it. It can get you through the line vs the weaker teams but you'll get found out once you face the big boys who know how to defend against these threats. Anyway if Uruguay make it out the group it'll be at Englands expense.
Original post by jam278
Surely since Italy is hotter than England, they would have a major advantage climate wise.

Only in the summer, which is out of season, and hugeley dependant on what part of Italy you are from. They will be just as unused to humidity as the English.

Uruguay were in the same group as spain in the confeds and spain came first too. It's going to be down to quality, not who can take the climate the best. If anything Italy would do the best because they're the best in possession out of the group, so would force other teams to chase the ball.

Yeah but we can't do anything with it when they bloody have it !

Italy were in bad form before the euros as well and lost 3-0 to Russia and they made the final. Never underestimate Italy. Italy will top the group if I'm being honest. It's just a matter of who goes with them.

Hahaha you are vastly overestimating our ability. Seriously.
Reply 38
Only in the summer, which is out of season, and hugeley dependant on what part of Italy you are from. They will be just as unused to humidity as the English.

Fair enough, I do think Italy will be more used to it, remember that they also played there last year, with most of the team(bar the support striker for Balotelli and a midfielder) unchanged. They will be more used to it. Would also say that they would play in August, where the temperature is hotter. Overall it's hotter than England, even if some places are a bit more cool.

Yeah but we can't do anything with it when they bloody have it !

Na I disagree. I think that Italy are good defensively when it comes to tournaments. There have been one or two defensive mishaps though, mainly from Prandelli changing system, when he gets the system right you guys are usually a rock at the back.

Plus, you're overestimating Englands attack, it's good on paper but there's no fluidity to our play, we've just thrown on a bunch of attacking players and hope they do something. Your defence would be able to handle our attack pretty comfortably, only problem would be that Rooney/Sturridge can score goals from anywhere, but our play in general is nothing to be afraid of.
Original post by jam278
Fair enough, I do think Italy will be more used to it, remember that they also played there last year, with most of the team(bar the support striker for Balotelli and a midfielder) unchanged. They will be more used to it. Would also say that they would play in August, where the temperature is hotter. Overall it's hotter than England, even if some places are a bit more cool.

Na I disagree. I think that Italy are good defensively when it comes to tournaments. There have been one or two defensive mishaps though, mainly from Prandelli changing system, when he gets the system right you guys are usually a rock at the back.

Plus, you're overestimating Englands attack, it's good on paper but there's no fluidity to our play, we've just thrown on a bunch of attacking players and hope they do something. Your defence would be able to handle our attack pretty comfortably, only problem would be that Rooney/Sturridge can score goals from anywhere, but our play in general is nothing to be afraid of.

I tink it stems from going out with an England fan who goes on about how amazing England are. It would be nice to do well given it may way be Buffon's last world cup.

Quick Reply

Latest