The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

ResNet limit?

Hi all,
One concern that I've had with going to Lancaster as a Computer Science student is the 100GB bandwidth limit that seems to be mentioned frequently.

Looking at my router, I managed to pull in over 350GB of data last month. Mainly through Netflix and torrents, the latter of which I can cut back on/post a 64GB USB pen home every so often to make up for it.

My questions are:
How often do people go over their limit?
How bad is the speed once the limit kicks in?
And does eduroam count towards the limit?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Kenny McCormick
Hi all,
One concern that I've had with going to Lancaster as a Computer Science student is the 100GB bandwidth limit that seems to be mentioned frequently.

Looking at my router, I managed to pull in over 350GB of data last month. Mainly through Netflix and torrents, the latter of which I can cut back on/post a 64GB USB pen home every so often to make up for it.

My questions are:

Thanks in advance

Students get 250GB of data every month.

Questions:
1) I've only ever heard of one student do it, and it's not even someone who I know, so it hardly happens.
2) Wouldn't know, but it does say that it's reduced "significantly", but I haven't had the experience, nor know enough about computers to effectively say
3) Since it's download data, I would assume eduroam counts towards it as well, seeing as eduroam is the Wi-Fi and ResNet is the internet cable - one's for portables and one isn't basically.

:smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Last year the limit was 100GB a month.

I frequently went over last year but it's still useable once you've gone over nor do they say anything. I think I went over every month bar one and the most i downloaded in a month was 600GB when I got a new HDD. But I'm at the far end of the scale. Most students don't go over the limit.

The speed drops to about 1/10th of it's normal speed but considering normal speed is 100Mbps and the reduced speed is 10Mbps, its not too bad.

Eduroam doesn't count towards the limit as far as I know but when I lived on campus we didn't have wifi in our rooms so I only used eduroam on my phone and laptop during lectures. But don't be the idiot who downloads large files on Eduroam, it ruins it for everyone else and everyone will hate you.
Hi all,

My questions are:

Thanks in advance

You also have to be careful with your downloading. Downloading films and stuff, if you get caught, will get you a £25 fine per film.
Reply 4
You have a separate limit for eduroam and the wired internet in your room. You will get emails when you're close to your limit, and if you go over it, you could just switch over to eduroam until the end of the month, which is a reasonable speed.

I download TV shows and movies (legally) pretty frequently and I've not gone over my limit once. I wouldn't worry too much.
Seems like I should be fine then, thanks all!

I won't try and download anything over eduroam because obviously, it makes everything worse for everyone else.

My plan for movies/TV shows will probably involve posting a USB stick home and copy everything on remotely, then ask nicely for it to be posted back if need be.
250GB a month. Go over and your speed is bottlenecked. Accessing the intranet doesn't count towards bandwidth and it's hard to complain about a low download limit when yours goes on illegal downloads, but anyway.

I found I rarely got near the cap - I bought a PS4 and the downloads for that were huge as well as torrenting some stuff ( all The Sopranos episodes) and got to about 230GB.
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
250GB a month. Go over and your speed is bottlenecked. Accessing the intranet doesn't count towards bandwidth and it's hard to complain about a low download limit when yours goes on illegal downloads, but anyway.

I found I rarely got near the cap - I bought a PS4 and the downloads for that were huge as well as torrenting some stuff ( all The Sopranos episodes) and got to about 230GB.

250GB is more than enough, it was more that the 100GB was something I feared I'd exceed sometimes. I usually have streaming media on in the background, be it music, or video, so it'd be easy to hit 100GB without thinking twice.

Especially with Steam games as well.
Hi all,

My questions are:

Thanks in advance

You aren't allowed to torrent on the uni network so your solution to that might work well. I never went over my limit but I would usually stream rather than download video stuff like iPlayer and was able to download all my lecture notes, some music and whatever software I needed. I know people that torrent or download entire HD movies will struggle to keep within the 250GB limit. The speed is great before the limit (over 50Mb/s and I have got 92 on speedtest once) when you go over the limit it's not terrible you can still watch youtube and iPlayer and surf the internet without real problems but files will take longer to download.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do they allow VPN services?
Do they block given ports? (my vpn offers remapping to confuse them on what's going through)
Do they block any types of sites?

Torrenting is a must ....
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending