The Student Room Group

A Level Options- Please Help!

I would like to apply to Oxbridge or UCL to study law.
I'm currently doing my gcses- I've been predicted 11A*s+ A in add maths (top grade) although I have no idea if I'm on target for those grades so far, I hope I am.
Anyway, I am completely stuck on what options to chose next year. I am debating between: English, Maths, History and Politics
Or: English, Maths, History and German.

From what I've heard, Politics may be slightly easier but less respected however I do enjoy German and despite finding it more challenging I want to put in the most competitive/impressive application possible.
Is politics respected or likely to supplement law? Or would a modern foreign language be a better option? (I may end up dropping one subject at AS anyway) A third option for me is geography, however I don't enjoy physical geography and can't see that side of it helping me massively in the long term.
I know some uni's consider a level law a soft a level, as it doesn't show your academic side. Pick subjects you're good at and going to get high grades in (and enjoy of course) rather than focusing on the idea you need ABC and D subjects to get on university course E:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Jakebarker1605
I know some uni's consider a level law a soft a level, as it doesn't show your academic side. Pick subjects you're good at and going to get high grades in (and enjoy of course) rather than focusing on the idea you need ABC and D subjects to get on university course E:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry if it was unclear but I am not debating taking Law at a level, I want to study law at uni but not sure whether to do German or Politics as a 4th a level option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by annabeltsr
Sorry if it was unclear but I am not debating taking Law at a level, I want to study law at uni but not sure whether to do German or Politics as a 4th a level option?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

A language is looked strongly upon, that can then give you the chance to study in Germany with German law if you wish too:smile:it opens up more doors German does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Jakebarker1605
A language is looked strongly upon, that can then give you the chance to study in Germany with German law if you wish too:smile:it opens up more doors German does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thankyou, I think I may be heading in that direction now. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thankyou, I think I may be heading in that direction now. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean don't take my word for it:smile: do which ever one you think you'll do best in. But if you take Germany, it will open up a door internationally, rather than politics that will open another door in the uk:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest