The Student Room Group

Nervous for my RAF aptitude

On Monday morning, got 37/46 on the practice one on the RAF site. My English and maths and work rate sections are great so I am really confident on them. It's the mechanical electrical and special section that worry me, I know I can really revise spatial but any other sites to revise circuits and mechanical other than bitesize would be great. I've read a few places 55 is the pass mark for my role, say I got 60 but scored poorly on mechanical and electrical would that be a fail still? Haven't done a exam for 8 years now!

Set on the RAF 100 percent now and the interview medical and fitness don't worry me at all so it's just getting past Monday which feels make or break!
so any help would be greatly appreciated
Its been that long since I did my AST that I honestly can't remember the types of Mechanical/Electrical questions. However GCSE Bitesize is probably pretty similar!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/systemscontrol/electronicsrev1.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/systemscontrol/mechanismsrev1.shtml

Don't be nervous, just make sure that you spend as much time as possible revising and practicing. So that when Monday comes you know you've done the best you can.
I think in the RAF you need the right altitude
Reply 3
Cheers Chris will revise them over the weekend so it's fresh for Monday morning, don't usually get nervous but I am for this as I want it so much. Would be really confident if it wasn't for the elictrical and spacial parts just hoping a couple of sections don't ruin it for me after all the training I have put in too
Reply 4
Been revising and practicing today and feel confident on it all apart from spaical. Say I got 80% of every section correct but only 20-30% in spacial could that be a fail even if I had 80 odd marks and did well in the rest of it?
What you have to realise is the AST isn't so much of an intelligence test. Sure, you need to know the basics, but I guarantee that anyone could answer all of the questions correctly if there wasn't a time limit. It's more a test of how well you work under pressure. When you have a lot of tasks to complete in a short space of time, how do you deal with it? Do you get your head down and power through it or do you panic, and start making mistakes? This is a situation you'll face in training often, and one that the test is trying to prepare you for, as well as working out if you are knowledgable enough to have the capacity to be trained to the required standard for your trade.

Of course you're nervous, you wouldn't be normal if you weren't. It's how you deal with those nerves that will make the difference.

The test is structured so that you need to average out your scores to make sure your group score stays high. 80% in every section but a 20% in spatial may drag your group score down enough to be a fail.

For the electrical and mechanical, you should revise how circuits work (parallel and series), basic ohms law, levers, gears, pulleys, tools and mechanical advantage. An understanding of these topics should get you through it nicely.

For the spatial, find a small object in your house and just put it down and have a good look at it, visualise what it would look like if it was rotated. Even better, put a small bit of blue tac or somethng on one of the edges or corners, and get family and friends to move the shape and move the blue tac every now and then. You'll soon pick it up and be able to spot when it's still in its original position and when it's been moved.

Be confident, be determined to succeed, and you'll be giving yourself the best chance.
Reply 6
Original post by ryan9900
What you have to realise is the AST isn't so much of an intelligence test. Sure, you need to know the basics, but I guarantee that anyone could answer all of the questions correctly if there wasn't a time limit. It's more a test of how well you work under pressure. When you have a lot of tasks to complete in a short space of time, how do you deal with it? Do you get your head down and power through it or do you panic, and start making mistakes? This is a situation you'll face in training often, and one that the test is trying to prepare you for, as well as working out if you are knowledgable enough to have the capacity to be trained to the required standard for your trade.

Of course you're nervous, you wouldn't be normal if you weren't. It's how you deal with those nerves that will make the difference.

The test is structured so that you need to average out your scores to make sure your group score stays high. 80% in every section but a 20% in spatial may drag your group score down enough to be a fail.

For the electrical and mechanical, you should revise how circuits work (parallel and series), basic ohms law, levers, gears, pulleys, tools and mechanical advantage. An understanding of these topics should get you through it nicely.

For the spatial, find a small object in your house and just put it down and have a good look at it, visualise what it would look like if it was rotated. Even better, put a small bit of blue tac or somethng on one of the edges or corners, and get family and friends to move the shape and move the blue tac every now and then. You'll soon pick it up and be able to spot when it's still in its original position and when it's been moved.

Be confident, be determined to succeed, and you'll be giving yourself the best chance.

Thanks ryan some good tips there
Reply 7
Looking through the medical sheets, do I need to fill them in or is it just for people who have suffered from asthma migraines etc as I have not been affected by any of the health issues they mention.
You just need to fill out the front page which I think I remember it saying:

'Have you suffered from Asthma in the last 5 years? ' Yes/No'

Have you suffered from Hayfever in the past? 'Yes/No'

Or something similar to that.

You just need to answer no to the fact you haven't suffered from all the issues.

You don't need to fill out any extra ones that talk specifically about conditions you haven't suffered from.
Reply 9
Yeah just left them ones blank but still included them as it says to include all the sheets still

Quick Reply

Latest