The Student Room Group

A* in maths

Please only give constructive advice here.

I really want an A* in maths, I know it's very hard to achieve but I really want it!! It's around 69/75 right?

What can I do in order to achieve this?

I have have until the 16th (C3) and the 18th (C4)

do you think the papers will be like last year? I heard the papers yesterday were difficult
Honestly, it is hard, but just keep practising, ask any questions you have and work really hard! I'd say work on the harder questions more and try not to over complicate things! Feel free to message me, I'm going for the a* too but on a different exam board by the sounds of things :/ good luck to you!
Reply 2
Original post by mathematigeek
Honestly, it is hard, but just keep practising, ask any questions you have and work really hard! I'd say work on the harder questions more and try not to over complicate things! Feel free to message me, I'm going for the a* too but on a different exam board by the sounds of things :/ good luck to you!

Thanks!!

How many papers do you do a day? What marks are you getting?

I just dont know what to do to ENSURE I get it?!
I'm going for an A* as well, I got an A* in my C3 mock and loads of past papers, I got an A in C4 mock but mostly due to stupid mistakes.

I would really recommend the Soloman papers & the graded papers (bronze/silver/gold), if you can do them and even just get 50 the regular papers will seem so much easier!

There will be a lot of edexcel students retaking C3 this year following the tricky paper last year so the grade boundaries will probably go up a bit!
Reply 4
Original post by acciolucy
I'm going for an A* as well, I got an A* in my C3 mock and loads of past papers, I got an A in C4 mock but mostly due to stupid mistakes.

I would really recommend the Soloman papers & the graded papers (bronze/silver/gold), if you can do them and even just get 50 the regular papers will seem so much easier!

There will be a lot of edexcel students retaking C3 this year following the tricky paper last year so the grade boundaries will probably go up a bit!

Shall I start with gold and solomon papers then? Then go back to regular papers?

you're right -thanks for the heads up lol
Original post by londonbaby18
Thanks!!

How many papers do you do a day? What marks are you getting?

I just dont know what to do to ENSURE I get it?!

I've only actually been doing 1-3 a day, but I'm quite confident :/ and um I'm getting 71-72 out of 72 in c3 and from 68-71 on c4, plus 16-18 on the comprehension out of 18 so yea :/ I'm going for 100 in both though, so I'm not the best one to go by :/ but my only advice I can give is to practice and make sure you read the questions :/
Reply 6
Original post by mathematigeek
I've only actually been doing 1-3 a day, but I'm quite confident :/ and um I'm getting 71-72 out of 72 in c3 and from 68-71 on c4, plus 16-18 on the comprehension out of 18 so yea :/ I'm going for 100 in both though, so I'm not the best one to go by :/ but my only advice I can give is to practice and make sure you read the questions :/

thanks, good luck
Original post by londonbaby18
Shall I start with gold and solomon papers then? Then go back to regular papers?

you're right -thanks for the heads up lol

Since I assume you're already doing well in standard papers (65+) I would go onto Soloman papers, the Gold ones can be tricky so I would do those last! Then maybe one or two standard papers just before the exam.

I've got 2 exams before C3 and one between C3 & C4, on days I revise maths I do around 6 papers, but i only revise maths around 40% of the time! In reality you will know if you feel prepared for them, just do as many as you can but remember to not let other subjects suffer!
Reply 8
Original post by acciolucy
Since I assume you're already doing well in standard papers (65+) I would go onto Soloman papers, the Gold ones can be tricky so I would do those last! Then maybe one or two standard papers just before the exam.

I've got 2 exams before C3 and one between C3 & C4, on days I revise maths I do around 6 papers, but i only revise maths around 40% of the time! In reality you will know if you feel prepared for them, just do as many as you can but remember to not let other subjects suffer!

Yeah, I am.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest