The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As a trainee primary school teacher, I have to say that TAs are invaluable when used (sorry for the term!) properly.

There is only so much time in the day and they help support learners who may take up a disprortionate amount of the teachers time otherwise, and help them to attain the best they can.

That, and the small stuff (making displays, laminating, photocopying) would otherwise take up a lot of time so I'm so glad to have someone to do it.
Original post by FishLover
Some people actually believe this?? Really?

You'll sadly find several TSR threads full of people who pretty much say that.
Original post by Gem3012
Meaning what exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by helenruth98
What do you mean by that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A homeopath says that he is treating illness by active ingredients (not placebo) even though statistically there are no active ingredients in his remedies.

Here it is being said that teaching assistants are doing good in circumstances where that good cannot be statistically detected or can only be detected to such a small degree that the cost is not worth the effort. You say, "although statistics cannot show that we are doing good, our experiences tells us that we are doing good". So does the homeopath's experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by TolerantBeing
My mum is a teaching assistant and it's easier in that you don't have to do much preparation or paperwork. But the work itself is not easy, especially if you're at a school filled with children with severe behaviour problems. My mum gets given all those delightful pupils to work with and has to substantially improve their literacy/ numeracy ability.

I agree that I don't have to do as much paperwork as teachers, but I still have a considerable amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by Trustno1
Honestly it's not only me who has come across bad TAs. Me, my brother, uncles, cousins and many other students all have and will always think TAs are useless.

I'm not saying all TAs are like this but majority are and that's why they are seen so negatively by most people.

In my college some TAs (bless them) tried to teach us after college but they weren't respected at all and some students even said "who the f*ck is she. She's nothing"

Unless TAs all become hard working and show a difference people will never see them as they see teachers (some don't even respect teachers).

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get people like this in all jobs though! There are good teachers and bad teachers, good doctors and bad doctors, good managers and bad managers, good police officers and bad police officers etc. It does not mean that it is okay to tar them all with the same brush.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by buchanan700
As a trainee primary school teacher, I have to say that TAs are invaluable when used (sorry for the term!) properly.

There is only so much time in the day and they help support learners who may take up a disprortionate amount of the teachers time otherwise, and help them to attain the best they can.

That, and the small stuff (making displays, laminating, photocopying) would otherwise take up a lot of time so I'm so glad to have someone to do it.

Within my school, we actually have people employed to do displays and laminating etc, so that a TA can devote all their time in lessons and support outside of lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gem3012
You get people like this in all jobs though! There are good teachers and bad teachers, good doctors and bad doctors, good managers and bad managers, good police officers and bad police officers etc. It does not mean that it is okay to tar them all with the same brush.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never has anyone ever said to me "that TA has helped me so much"

Honestly if TAs are as dedicated as you seem I would of liked to have one but I feel like your the only TA I know who has taken their job seriously

Most TAs often become TAs because the salary is better then dinner ladies and also do nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by nulli tertius
A homeopath says that he is treating illness by active ingredients (not placebo) even though statistically there are no active ingredients in his remedies.

Here it is being said that teaching assistants are doing good in circumstances where that good cannot be statistically detected or can only be detected to such a small degree that the cost is not worth the effort. You say, "although statistics cannot show that we are doing good, our experiences tells us that we are doing good". So does the homeopath's experience.

I can only talk about the experiences that I have had. Every TA in the school that I work in is educated to degree level. So we have the necessary academic experience to pass to our students. We are utilised according to our expertise. Statistics, when manipulated in a certain way can make anything look good (or bad!) in any circumstance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by syrettd
You'll sadly find several TSR threads full of people who pretty much say that.

Oh god. That's incredibly condescending. Is it just TSR though? TSR is notorious for being really snobby.
In primary school the TAs were lazy and terrible. I don't think any of them even had A Levels, they were basically students' mums who just favourited their child and just helped and chatted to their kids and brought them extra food and stuff. If you asked for one of theirs helo they would either ignore you or tell ypu to figure it out. One tried to lead the lesson once when I was in Y2 (age 6) and I corrected her spelling on the board. TA's should have to be qualified.

At Secondary I rarely have TAs as I'm in all top sets. But I did have one who has a degree in French and English who was excellent, she really pushed me further in the crappy Foundation class I'd been dumped in for French because I took it in Y9, and I managed to get an A. The others I have had are soooooo bad when I put my hand up I have to wait until the teacher is closer than they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by Trustno1
Never has anyone ever said to me "that TA has helped me so much"

Honestly if TAs are as dedicated as you seem I would of liked to have one but I feel like your the only TA I know who has taken their job seriously

Most TAs often become TAs because the salary is better then dinner ladies and also do nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do take my job incredibly seriously, because I feel that all students, regardless of their educational needs, have the right to a good education that they can access. I wish I could put you in contact with some students at my school, they would be able to tell you how incredibly hard we work to make sure that the students we work with achieve their full potential.

Like I have previously stated, all the TAs that work in the school I do, have degrees, with the intent on becoming a teacher after gaining some decent experience, so for me, it is an integral job. It has nothing to do with the money, because if I was interested in money, I would be working somewhere else. I do my job because I genuinely care about the well being of my students. I don't disagree that there are poor TAs in some schools, but I think it is wrong to assume that all TAs are either failed teachers or glorified dinner ladies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FishLover
Oh god. That's incredibly condescending. Is it just TSR though? TSR is notorious for being really snobby.

I think I've heard it a couple of times outside of TSR. But there is a lot if underestimating the role nurses play in the health service, both on here and in the real world.
They get annoying sometimes...:colonhash:
Reply 93
Original post by Obiejess
In primary school the TAs were lazy and terrible. I don't think any of them even had A Levels, they were basically students' mums who just favourited their child and just helped and chatted to their kids and brought them extra food and stuff. If you asked for one of theirs helo they would either ignore you or tell ypu to figure it out. One tried to lead the lesson once when I was in Y2 (age 6) and I corrected her spelling on the board. TA's should have to be qualified.

At Secondary I rarely have TAs as I'm in all top sets. But I did have one who has a degree in French and English who was excellent, she really pushed me further in the crappy Foundation class I'd been dumped in for French because I took it in Y9, and I managed to get an A. The others I have had are soooooo bad when I put my hand up I have to wait until the teacher is closer than they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So by your own admission, you found that a TA with a degree helped you much more than those without degrees? This is exactly the kind of information that I wanted to get from this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gem3012
IStatistics, when manipulated in a certain way can make anything look good (or bad!) in any circumstance.

Of course I agree that statistics can be manipulated but I suspect the overweight diva might be practising her scales for the current army of teaching assistants.
Reply 95
Of course I agree that statistics can be manipulated but I suspect the overweight diva might be practising her scales for the current army of teaching assistants.

Please explain what you mean by this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gem3012
Please explain what you mean by this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"The show isn't over until the fat lady sings"

I think the show might soon be over for teaching assistants

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334853/Army-teaching-assistants-faces-axe-Education-department-attempts-save-4billion-cost-year.html

This is polemic but wait until after the election.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gem3012
I totally agree with you! I don't think this makes you biased. Just that you have an insight into exactly what TAs do. I believe that not all questions can be answered with stats, but are better answered with experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no opinion on the topic matter, but this statement is ridiculous.

Experience is very valuable, and statistics can be manipulated, but experience is specific to one situation and one person, whereas statistics apply to a large group.

If one TA made an enormous difference to one student, but overall TA's have negative effects on performance then TA's aren't worthwhile, despite the benefits they can have (Note: I'm not saying TA's have a postive or negative impact on students' abilities).
Reply 98
"The show isn't over until the fat lady sings"

I think the show might soon be over for teaching assistants

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334853/Army-teaching-assistants-faces-axe-Education-department-attempts-save-4billion-cost-year.html

This is polemic but wait until after the election.

Yes, because the Daily Mail is an unbiased source of information!

They won't get rid of teaching assistants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by ThatPerson
I have no opinion on the topic matter, but this statement is ridiculous.

Experience is very valuable, and statistics can be manipulated, but experience is specific to one situation and one person, whereas statistics apply to a large group.

If one TA made an enormous difference to one student, but overall TA's have negative effects on performance then TA's aren't worthwhile, despite the benefits they can have (Note: I'm not saying TA's have a postive or negative impact on students' abilities).

Well, if statistics can be manipulated, surely then their information is unreliable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending