The Student Room Group

Scly 3 power and politics help!

Hello I am confused about a couple of questions on past papers:

"Assess the view that states are becoming less and less significant in global politics"
Would I go through all the theories of the state like pluralist, new right and then say how globalisation would influence them????

"Politics operates today on a global basis" I just don't know what to put.

"Globalisation has changed the nature of power and politics today" I again wouldn't know what to put..

Please help!! Thank you
They're mostly asking you to argue whether globalisation has caused the state to lose some of its power or not.

Arguments for it losing power are:
- new institutions like the EU mean the UK state has less power over laws etc
- Corporations are global now, countries have to compete for investment so can't raise tax too high or they won't receive any investment (harms economy)
- People can buy stuff online from overseas so states don't have full control over their country's economy

Arguments for it still having power:
- nationalism is used by the government to retain some of its economic powers eg. Encouraging people to buy local products
- Governments can reduce the power of TNCs eg. When the BBC raised concerns over Nike's child exploitation

These are just a few points from the textbook, there's plenty more and probably better ones in there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jacksmith_
They're mostly asking you to argue whether globalisation has caused the state to lose some of its power or not.

Arguments for it losing power are:
- new institutions like the EU mean the UK state has less power over laws etc
- Corporations are global now, countries have to compete for investment so can't raise tax too high or they won't receive any investment (harms economy)
- People can buy stuff online from overseas so states don't have full control over their country's economy

Arguments for it still having power:
- nationalism is used by the government to retain some of its economic powers eg. Encouraging people to buy local products
- Governments can reduce the power of TNCs eg. When the BBC raised concerns over Nike's child exploitation

These are just a few points from the textbook, there's plenty more and probably better ones in there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh OK, got it. Would I answer the first one differently because it says about the state. Like talk about pluralist views of the state e.g the weathervane model that talk about how that would be influenced by globalisation? Or would I just stick to the above.
Original post by Zlind
Ahhh OK, got it. Would I answer the first one differently because it says about the state. Like talk about pluralist views of the state e.g the weathervane model that talk about how that would be influenced by globalisation? Or would I just stick to the above.

I think you're right actually yeah but not sure :/ maybe have a quick glimpse of the mark scheme before you do it lol, see if it says what it expects candidates to write about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeaaaah finally a power and politics thread! Seems only a handle are doing this.unit!

How ready are you for this exam? I feel like I know everything but the way they questions will put me off so gonna go through all the 33 markers and revise em throughly!

Really hope its a good paper :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by AnimeCrazy
Yeaaaah finally a power and politics thread! Seems only a handle are doing this.unit!

How ready are you for this exam? I feel like I know everything but the way they questions will put me off so gonna go through all the 33 markers and revise em throughly!

Really hope its a good paper :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha, do you know of any predictions?
Reply 6
wooop I'm doing this too .. but got no clue LOOOOL

Quick Reply

Latest